|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Avey's thoughts when she catches a glimpse of herself in a mirror in the Versailles Room?
(a) She doesn't recognize herself.
(b) She looks great in red.
(c) She needs to lose some weight.
(d) She is pleased she lost some weight.
2. Why do the native people leave for the tiny island every year?
(a) To commune with their ancestors.
(b) To fish.
(c) To pick coconuts.
(d) To gather exotic shells.
3. Which culture is Avey reminded of when she sees her hotel?
4. What physical change did Jay make when he transitioned to a business career and was called Jerome?
(a) He grew a goatee.
(b) He lost 30 pounds.
(c) He bought a new wardrobe.
(d) He shaved his mustache.
5. Where did Jay and Avey imagine they were when they danced in the Halsey Street apartment?
(a) A street fair.
(b) Their favorite dance halls.
(c) The beach.
(d) Their wedding reception.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the taxi driver help Avey to do in Chapter 6?
2. Who is the main character in the novel?
3. What did Jay do to try to prove to Avey that he was working two jobs and not being unfaithful?
4. On what street did Avey live with her husband?
5. How does Jay react to Avey's reproaches about infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Avey's plans and how does she make her exit from the cruise?
2. What is the significance of the peach parfait for Avey?
3. How did Jay and Avey's life begin to take a turn for the better?
4. What was Jay's response to Avey's hysterics?
5. What does Avey recall about spending time with her Great Aunt Cuney?
6. How does the author use a flashback to show the beginnings of Avey's discomfort on the cruise ship?
7. What legend did Great Aunt Cuney tell Avey about the African Ibos?
8. Whose transformation begins in Chapter 3 after Avey and Jay's big fight?
9. How does Avey try to sort out the mess she seems to be in at the harbor?
10. Who is Thomasina and how does she react to Avey's wanting to leave the cruise?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)