|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a vision Avey's husband says she is being too careless with _______________.
2. What element of Jay's appearance was his signature style?
(d) Diamond earring.
3. Why do the native people leave for the tiny island every year?
(a) To pick coconuts.
(b) To fish.
(c) To gather exotic shells.
(d) To commune with their ancestors.
4. How does Avey approach Jay on the question of infidelity?
5. Who does Avey dream of during her first night at the hotel?
(b) Her husband.
(d) Great Aunt Cuney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the dining room where Avey encounters the peach parfait?
2. What kind of course did Jay pay for with his GI benefits?
3. On what island is Avey's hotel located?
4. What was the name of the place where Avey's ancestors had been delivered as slaves?
5. What does the taxi driver help Avey to do in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Avey recall about spending time with her Great Aunt Cuney?
2. What did Avey realize about Jay on the night of the big fight?
3. What is the premise of this novel?
4. Where is Avey at the beginning of Chapter 5 and what is she waiting to do?
5. Why did Avey become obsessed with the idea that Jay was being unfaithful to her?
6. How did Jay and Avey's life begin to take a turn for the better?
7. Who is the main character of the story and what is she doing as the novel opens?
8. What was Jay's response to Avey's hysterics?
9. What are some of Avey's memories of her life in the Halsey Street apartment?
10. How does the author use a flashback to show the beginnings of Avey's discomfort on the cruise ship?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)