|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Avey as she reminisces about the days in the Halsey Street apartment?
(a) The hotel room balcony.
(b) A cafe.
(c) The beach.
(d) In a cab.
2. Who is the sad friend who accompanies Avey on the cruise?
3. Who tried to quiet Avey and Jay's fighting?
(a) The landlord.
(b) The neighbor lady.
4. Who is Avey's youngest daughter?
5. What was Thomasina's former profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jay read to the girls on Sunday mornings?
2. Where is Avey as Chapter 5 begins?
3. Who does Avey dream of during her first night at the hotel?
4. What is the name of the island where all the native people are going?
5. Which culture is Avey reminded of when she sees her hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complications emerge in Avey's dream when she, as an adult, resists Great Aunt Cuney's insistence to follow her?
2. What does the taxi driver tell Avey about the close ties among the community of people on the island?
3. Whose transformation begins in Chapter 3 after Avey and Jay's big fight?
4. Who is Thomasina and how does she react to Avey's wanting to leave the cruise?
5. What is the significance of the peach parfait for Avey?
6. How challenging is it for Avey to find a quiet place on the ship where she can sort out her thoughts?
7. What are some of Avey's memories of her life in the Halsey Street apartment?
8. Describe how Jay works hard to provide for his family at the expense of his own soul.
9. What legend did Great Aunt Cuney tell Avey about the African Ibos?
10. What does Avey recall about spending time with her Great Aunt Cuney?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)