|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the old women on the boat remind Avey of?
(a) Sis and Marion.
(b) The old women in the congregation when she was a girl.
(c) Great Aunt Cuney and her sister.
(d) Her mother and aunts.
2. Why did Avey's grandson cry on Christmas?
(a) He broke his truck.
(b) He got hit in they eye while bouncing a new basketball.
(c) He didn't get the gift he most wanted.
(d) He didn't want the day to be over.
3. How can Rosalie and Lebert tell which tribe Avey belongs to?
(a) By her accent.
(b) By the way she dances.
(c) By the size of her feet.
(d) By the shape of her nose.
4. With which daughter does Avey recall spending Christmas one year?
(b) She never spent Christmas away from home.
5. What is the topic of the sermon that Avey recalls?
(a) Noah building the ark.
(b) Jesus' empty tomb.
(c) Moses and the Ten Commandments.
(d) The prodigal son.
6. What does Avey reply when asked for her name?
(a) Avey, short for Avatara.
(b) Avatara, goddess of fire.
(c) Avey, wife of Jay.
7. How do the women next to Avey know she is really sick?
(a) She vomits off the side of the boat.
(b) She has a bad nosebleed.
(c) She foams at the mouth.
(d) She faints.
8. What is the name of the ship that would take Avey, as a girl, on the trips to Bear Mountain with her family and friends?
(a) Old Mac.
(b) Poughkeepsie Paddler.
(c) Robert Fulton.
(d) Hudson River Lines.
9. Where does Avey collapse in exhaustion after thinking about her denial of her people for so many years?
(a) The hotel room balcony.
(b) The hotel lobby.
(c) The lounge.
(d) The hotel room bed.
10. In what type of building does Avey take shelter?
(a) A shave ice shop.
(b) An old rum shop.
(c) An ice cream parlor.
(d) A sandwich shop.
11. While Avey is on the boat, where does she dream that she is?
(a) In her White Plains home.
(b) In church.
(c) In Sis' home.
(d) In the Halsey Street apartment.
12. What is the name of the boat that will take Avey to Carriacou?
(b) Partin' the Waters.
(c) Emmanuel C.
(d) Angel's Wings.
13. What is Avey doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Waking up.
(b) Drinking coffee.
(c) Taking a shower.
(d) Reading the paper.
14. What does Avey think as she surveys her body?
(a) The moments of her life that marked it.
(b) She has to get back to the gym.
(c) She is looking good for her age.
(d) She could stand to lose a few pounds.
15. What type of creature does Avey find dead in the surf?
(a) A shark.
(b) A dolphin.
(c) A colorful fish.
(d) A seagull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Avey dream when she is below deck?
2. What is the name of a dance that Avey remembers?
3. How does Lebert prepare the circle for the dancers?
4. How old is Avey in her dream?
5. What does Avey dream of while below deck on the ship?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)