|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startles Avey awake?
(a) An alarm call.
(b) A wake-up call.
(c) She steps into the sunlight in the room.
(d) Loud neighbors.
2. In what type of building does Avey take shelter?
(a) A sandwich shop.
(b) An ice cream parlor.
(c) An old rum shop.
(d) A shave ice shop.
3. What drink does Lebert serve Avey?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(b) Coconut water and rum.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) White wine.
4. Avey wonders if Jay had really died on the night of their big fight and ____________ had been masquerading in his body all those years since.
(b) Jay's best friend.
(c) The devil.
5. What is Avey dreaming of prior to waking?
(a) Swimming in the ocean.
(b) A baby whose diaper needs changing.
(c) Walking through a forest.
(d) Dancing with Jay.
6. What does Avey feel that her family sacrificed?
(a) The things that make life worth living.
(b) Their integrity.
(c) Their reputations.
(d) Their ancestry.
7. What type of ceremony does Avey recall filming in Ghana?
(a) A rite of passage.
(b) A ceremony to feed the gods.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A christening.
8. Where does Avey collapse in exhaustion after thinking about her denial of her people for so many years?
(a) The hotel room bed.
(b) The hotel lobby.
(c) The hotel room balcony.
(d) The lounge.
9. How does Lebert prepare the circle for the dancers?
(a) He washes it with water.
(b) He pours rum on it.
(c) He clears any stones.
(d) He lights the torches.
10. How can Rosalie and Lebert tell which tribe Avey belongs to?
(a) By the shape of her nose.
(b) By her accent.
(c) By the way she dances.
(d) By the size of her feet.
11. What is the location of Avey's dream prior to waking?
(a) Great Aunt Cuney's house.
(b) Her childhood bedroom.
(c) The Halsey Street house.
(d) A bus station.
12. What do the old women do as they help Avey move below deck?
(a) Hold her up as best they can.
(b) Cover her with their shawls.
(c) Put a blanket over her head.
(d) Call for help.
13. What medicine does Lebert think Avey desperately needs?
(a) Beg Pardon and Juba.
(b) Mea Culpa and Juba.
(c) Beg Pardon and Big Drum.
(d) Mea Culpa and Big Drum.
14. What does Rosalie do for Avey after she bathes her?
(a) Rubs her body with oil.
(b) Irons her dress.
(c) Brushes her hair.
(d) Splashes perfume on her.
15. What did Avey do during the discrimination of black people in the 1960s and 1970s?
(a) Paid for civil rights attorneys.
(b) Lived in denial.
(c) Marched for civil rights.
(d) Wrote letters to the President.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the Oldest Ones who approaches Avey after the dance?
2. What question does the preacher ask after he finishes the story of Christ rising from the dead?
3. How do the people position themselves in preparation for the Beg Pardon?
4. Why did Avey's family go to Bear Mountain when she was a girl?
5. Who is the owner of the old rum shop?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)