|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Avey think is the cause of her husband's death?
(a) High cholesterol.
2. Why did Avey deny who she really was for so many years?
(a) She never denied herself.
(b) To be a suitable wife for Jerome.
(c) She didn't like the person she used to be.
(d) She was embarrassed about her past.
3. Who is one of the Oldest Ones who approaches Avey after the dance?
(a) Bercita Edwards.
(b) Bonnita Samuels.
(c) Bernice Edwards.
(d) Bergitta Edwards.
4. What does Lebert tell Avey that the annual island excursion is all about?
(d) All of these.
5. Which of the following does Avey do when she has a meltdown on the hotel room balcony?
(b) Pounds the air with her fist.
(d) All of these.
6. How does Lebert prepare the circle for the dancers?
(a) He washes it with water.
(b) He clears any stones.
(c) He pours rum on it.
(d) He lights the torches.
7. What question does the preacher ask after he finishes the story of Christ rising from the dead?
(a) If anyone wants to be baptized today.
(b) Who will see Christ at the end of his life?
(c) If anyone wants to testify.
(d) What stones the parishoners have pulled over their hearts.
8. In what type of building does Avey take shelter?
(a) An old rum shop.
(b) An ice cream parlor.
(c) A sandwich shop.
(d) A shave ice shop.
9. Where does Avey go after she gets dressed?
(a) The hotel gift shop.
(b) The beach.
(c) The hotel restaurant.
(d) The museum.
10. What does the little girl, Avey, feel as the congregation increases its intensity in responding to the preacher's questions?
(a) She wants to cry.
(b) She wants to vomit.
(c) She wants to scream.
(d) She wants to run away.
11. What is Avey doing at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Packing her clothes.
(b) Buying sunscreen.
(c) Waiting for a boat.
(d) Talking to a fruit vendor.
12. How does Avey say goodbye to Lebert and Rosalie?
(a) She embraces them.
(b) She cannot say goodbye.
(c) She kisses them.
(d) She waves to them.
13. What does the old women do when Avey begins to vomit?
(a) Call for a medic.
(b) Move away from her.
(c) Chastise her.
(d) Comfort her.
14. What does Avey feel that her family sacrificed?
(a) Their integrity.
(b) The things that make life worth living.
(c) Their ancestry.
(d) Their reputations.
15. What color is the dress Avey wears for the evening?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Avey is on the boat, where does she dream that she is?
2. How old is Avey in her dream?
3. What is the name of the boat that will take Avey to Carriacou?
4. What does Avey recall about Jerome's face as he lay in his casket?
5. Where does Avey collapse in exhaustion after thinking about her denial of her people for so many years?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)