|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Avey dream of while below deck on the ship?
(a) Her mother's funeral.
(b) Her daughter's birthday party.
(c) The ships that brought the slaves to America.
(d) Her wedding to Jay.
2. Why did Avey deny who she really was for so many years?
(a) She was embarrassed about her past.
(b) She never denied herself.
(c) She didn't like the person she used to be.
(d) To be a suitable wife for Jerome.
3. Who is the owner of the old rum shop?
(a) Jacob Louis.
(b) James Lieberman.
(c) Lebert Joseph.
(d) Joseph Lifert.
4. What is the content of Avey's dream?
(a) A heart-to-heart with her mother.
(b) A sermon by a Southern preacher.
(c) A lecture from her father.
(d) A quarrel with a friend.
5. What is Avey doing at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Talking to a fruit vendor.
(b) Buying sunscreen.
(c) Waiting for a boat.
(d) Packing her clothes.
6. In what type of building does Avey take shelter?
(a) An old rum shop.
(b) A sandwich shop.
(c) An ice cream parlor.
(d) A shave ice shop.
7. What is the benefit of Avey's hotel balcony meltdown?
(a) She can now ask her daughters for forgiveness.
(b) She is finally free of her mother.
(c) She now has a focus for her anger.
(d) She can now forgive her husband.
8. Which of the following did NOT integrate for Avey during the festivities?
(a) Her childhood self.
(b) The truths of her life.
(c) Her guilt for leaving the cruise.
(d) Her ancestral heritage.
9. What does the little girl, Avey, feel as the congregation increases its intensity in responding to the preacher's questions?
(a) She wants to vomit.
(b) She wants to cry.
(c) She wants to run away.
(d) She wants to scream.
10. What question does the preacher ask after he finishes the story of Christ rising from the dead?
(a) What stones the parishoners have pulled over their hearts.
(b) If anyone wants to be baptized today.
(c) If anyone wants to testify.
(d) Who will see Christ at the end of his life?
11. From which of the following could Avey's illness come?
(a) The heat.
(b) The rough waters.
(c) Her delicate constitution.
(d) All of these.
12. Who is one of the Oldest Ones who approaches Avey after the dance?
(a) Bergitta Edwards.
(b) Bercita Edwards.
(c) Bonnita Samuels.
(d) Bernice Edwards.
13. What brings Avey back to reality on the beach?
(a) The tide is coming in.
(b) She hears someone call her name.
(c) The need for shade and water.
(d) She is hit by a beachball.
14. Avey wonders if Jay had really died on the night of their big fight and ____________ had been masquerading in his body all those years since.
(b) The devil.
(c) Jay's best friend.
15. On the beach, Avey thinks and moves like ______________.
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is weighed down.
(c) A little girl.
(d) A gazelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Avey dreaming of prior to waking?
2. What is Avey's deep-seated pain?
3. Which of the following does Avey think that her family lost?
4. What does Avey recall about Jerome's face as he lay in his casket?
5. What is another name for the Old Parents?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)