|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Avey's personality as a girl?
2. How many suitcases is Avey packing in the middle of the night?
3. What did Jay do to try to prove to Avey that he was working two jobs and not being unfaithful?
(a) Brought her his unopened paychecks.
(b) Let her drop him off at work.
(c) Had his bosses call her.
(d) Let her call him at work.
4. What is Avey Johnson doing as the novel opens?
(a) Talking on the phone.
(b) Packing a suitcase.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Sipping coffee.
5. Where had Avey spent her summers with her Great Aunt Cuney?
(a) La Jolla.
(b) Hilton Head.
(c) Tatem Island.
6. What kind of course did Jay pay for with his GI benefits?
(b) Auto mechanics.
7. How does Avey feel when she enters her hotel room?
(a) She is very calm.
(b) She gets pain in her stomach.
(c) She is very tired.
(d) She is exhilirated.
8. What did Jay use to unwind at night?
9. For how long has Avey been a widow?
(a) Two years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
10. What beverage does Avey plan to enjoy on her flight home?
(a) Tomato juice.
(b) Gin and tonic.
(c) White wine.
11. What did Avey fix for her family on Sunday mornings?
(d) Coffee cake.
12. With what do Jay and Avey become obsessed in their lives now?
13. What is Avey secretly remembering with fondness in Chapter 4?
(a) Their wedding day.
(b) Their first apartment on Halsey Street.
(c) Her senior prom.
(d) The day Sis was born.
14. What happened to the taxi driver because he did not participate in the annual island ritual?
(a) His girlfriend left him.
(b) He lost his house.
(c) He broke his leg.
(d) His business failed.
15. How does Avey approach Jay on the question of infidelity?
Short Answer Questions
1. During their argument Avey can see that Jay desperately wants ______________.
2. On what day of the week do Avey and Jay had their life-altering argument about his infidelity?
3. What language is spoken by the island people most of the year?
4. When did Avey last have a dream about her Great Aunt Cuney?
5. What was the name of the social events attended by Avey and Great Aunt Cuney?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)