|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter from Tucson say?
2. Where is Sally when Gary knocks on her door?
3. What does Sally think about as far as the situation with Gary and Jimmy?
4. What does Gillian do after Sally leaves?
5. What does Kylie tell Gillian about the coming summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sally think about and how does she feel while waiting for Gary?
2. What are the aunts thinking when they arrive at Sally's house?
3. Why did Maria Owens attract attention when she came to Massachusetts?
4. What do Gillian and Sally want to do with the thorns in the backyard and what does Kylie say about their plan?
5. Who is at the aunts' house for Thanksgiving and what does the letter they receive say?
6. What do Gillian and Sally do when Gary leaves and why?
7. What do the aunts do when their concoction is ready and what do their actions help?
8. What does Kylie do when she is feeling lonely and confused?
9. What does Gideon's mother tell him at the beginning of Levitation?
10. What happens to Kylie on the way to Gideon's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Practical Magic is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Gillian and Sally are ostracized in school because it is believed their family consist of witches. The children will not play with the girls and the parents are prejudiced also. Ironically, the mothers still come to the aunts for love portions.
1. What is irony? (This may need research). How is the situation with the aunts and the mothers of the children an example of irony?
2. Discuss one other example in this book that is ironic and tell why you believe the situation is ironic. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. Do you think it is wrong for the mothers to use the aunts? Why or why not? Include examples from Practical Magic and your own life to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alice Hoffman.
2. What in Hoffman's background may have helped Hoffman in writing "Practical Magic"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)