|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kyle start sending to Ben's house?
2. What does Sally say is the important thing about Jimmy?
3. What does Gary think about Gillian's answers to his questions?
4. What does Sally do when she finds out Gary is out?
5. What does the letter to Gillian from Sally look like when the postman delivers it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the rumors about Maria and why did they start?
2. What do Gillian and Sally want to do with the thorns in the backyard and what does Kylie say about their plan?
3. Why did Maria Owens attract attention when she came to Massachusetts?
4. What do the aunts do when their concoction is ready and what do their actions help?
5. What happens to Kylie on the way to Gideon's house?
6. What does Gideon's mother tell him at the beginning of Levitation?
7. What does Kylie do when she is feeling lonely and confused?
8. What happens that causes Ben to talk about fate to Gillian?
9. What does Sally decide to do about Gary?
10. What does Gideon do after his mother tells him what is going to happen and how does he know if Kylie and him are still friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Practical Magic". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters are rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of individual freedom in "Practical Magic". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters work to possess individual freedom? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of tradition in "Practical Magic". What the aunts' views of tradition? What about Sally? Why is tradition important to some characters? Is anyone willing to abandon traditional viewpoints? Who? What are the positive and negative sides to holding fast to tradition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Practical Magic, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Practical Magic. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
"Practical Magic" belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a fantasy novel?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)