|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kylie stop being mad at Gillian?
2. What does Gary feel after Sally leaves?
3. When Gary starts crying who is he thinking about?
4. What does the desk clerk tell Sally she can do?
5. What kind of animal do the aunts tell Gillian she could have killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the aunts thinking when they arrive at Sally's house?
2. What does Sally decide to do about Gary?
3. What do Gillian and Sally do when Gary leaves and why?
4. How does Gary figure out how to track down Jimmy and who is Gary interested in meeting?
5. What do the aunts do when their concoction is ready and what do their actions help?
6. How does Gary figure out that Sally and Gillian know more about Jimmy than they are saying?
7. What does Gary realize about Gillian and what does he think is Sally and Gillian's connection to Jimmy?
8. What happens that causes Ben to talk about fate to Gillian?
9. Who is at the aunts' house for Thanksgiving and what does the letter they receive say?
10. What does Kylie do when she is feeling lonely and confused?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kylie feels that she has been pushed aside since Gillian has started seeing Ben but doesn't say anything to Gillian. Instead, she sends large orders of anchovy pizzas to Ben's house, puts ashes in Gillian's shoes and other things. It isn't until Kylie sees Gillian and Ben together that she sees the love that is around them and realizes that she can't be mad at them.
1. Do you think as the adult Gillian should be more aware of Kylie's feelings? Why or why not? Use examples from Practical Magic and your own life to support your answer.
2. It seems that Gillian used Kylie when she had no friends and has ignored her since starting to see Ben. Do you think this is a true statement? Why or why not? Use examples from "Practical Magic" and your own life to support your answer.
3. What are some better ways Kylie could have expressed her feelings of rejection and hurt? Use examples from "Practical Magic" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Practical Magic" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alice Hoffman.
2. What in Hoffman's background may have helped Hoffman in writing "Practical Magic"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)