|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do men yell at Kylie when she goes out?
2. Where does Antonia work?
3. For what does Sally strive concerning her daughters?
4. What surprises Gillian about Ben Frye?
5. What happens to Gillian many times per day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kylie hear from the man in the back yard and what does she try to do about it? What is the man causing everyone in the house to have?
2. What is Gillian receiving from Ben everyday and what does she think of that? How did she get to know him?
3. What happens when Sally hears a knock on the door one night?
4. What does Kylie see in the back yard and what ability does she have and what problems does her ability cause?
5. What does Sally do after her husband is killed?
6. Why is Kylie looking forward to her birthday and how does Antonia feel about being beautiful?
7. What do the children in the town mothers do?
8. Why was everyone so upset at Kylie's birthday dinner?
9. What is happening that has caused Gillian and Sally not to speak?
10. Who does Sally marry, what children does she have and what are those children like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Practical Magic, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Practical Magic. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
"Practical Magic" belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the historical novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a science fiction novel and a fantasy novel?
Essay Topic 3
Sally and Gillian are in fact very different but they do love each other. This relationship that they have is very stressful for them because they cannot stand the way that each other lives. It will be shown later on that Gillian firmly believes that Sally is wasting her life and Sally believes that Gillian is ruining hers. Despite the way that they view each other's choices they will eventually realize that they need each other.
1. Discuss some ways that Sally and Gillian could learn to accept each other for who each of them are. Use examples from Practical Magic and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Sally believes Gillian is ruining her life? Use examples from Practical Magic and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Gillian thinks Sally is wasting her life? Use examples from Practical Magic and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)