|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Sally and Gillian start school at their new location?
2. Why is Antonia hopeless?
3. What do men yell at Kylie when she goes out?
4. In what state is Sally and Gillian's relationship at the opening to "Clairvoyance"?
5. What was Jimmy selling to college kids?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was everyone so upset at Kylie's birthday dinner?
2. Why does Gillian leave the aunts' home and what does she tell Sally?
3. What does Gillian tell Sally about her boyfriend, Jimmy?
4. What do Sally and Gillian fight about that causes Kylie to tell them about the man in the backyard?
5. What do the girls see Irene ask their aunts for, what do their aunts tell Irene and what does she say?
6. Why is Kylie looking forward to her birthday and how does Antonia feel about being beautiful?
7. What does Gillian learn about Ben and how do the other women in town feel about him?
8. How does Sally figure out that Kylie will never be normal?
9. How does Kylie react to the birthday gift from her mother and the one from Gillian and what does Sally tell Gillian about Kylie?
10. What do the children in the town mothers do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that Gillian is being hard on herself makes Sally become a little kinder to her. In the next part of this chapter Antonia and Kylie also have a moment which draws them closer together. Each horrible event that has happened in the book eventually is the basis for something positive that happens to the family, including the death of Jimmy.
1. Do you think Gillian has good reasons to be disgusted with herself? Why or why not? What are some of the reasons Gillian uses to justify disliking herself. Use examples from "Practical Magic" and your own life to support your answer.
2. Why do you think adversity tends to bring people together? Discuss the reasons for this with examples.
3. Do you think something good can always come out of something negative? Why or why not? Use examples from "Practical Magic" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Practical Magic" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Practical Magic" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for young teens versus adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Practical Magic" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Alice Hoffman.
2. What in Hoffman's background may have helped Hoffman in writing "Practical Magic"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)