|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Travis spend a night with as a young man on a train?
2. What do Gus and Gian plant in Jennifer's yard?
3. What comes to take Catch back to Jerusalem?
4. Who does Spider ask Rivera to check on in Pine Cove?
5. What does Rivera find in Travis' suitcase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Augustus lets Travis go.
2. Explain what happens to Effrom in Chapter 35.
3. Why does Robert think he is being arrested, and what, in fact, are the actual charges?
4. What connection does the Nailgun find between the names and dates in Travis' suitcase?
5. How does Rachel convince Jennifer to come to the caves, and what does Jennifer do following this event?
6. Why does Catch want to kidnap Jennifer at the end of Chapter 28?
7. How does Gian explain lying about what will happen to Catch, and how does Augustus respond?
8. What does Rachel tell Travis when he calls him at Jennifer's?
9. Explain, in detail, why Amanda doesn't tell Effrom she is aware of his smoking and of his watching of women's exercise programs, and what she does to extend his pleasure.
10. Summarize the history of the Sacred Caves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Augustus Brine is "chosen" to help save the world from the demon, Catch. He could have chosen not to participate, and instead accepted the situation as futile, thereby allowing the world to perish. Explain, using details from the book, those characteristics of Augustus Brine that made him suitable for the job, and unable to not accept the responsibility.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there is a constant theme that a secret, supernatural world underlies the mundane, everyday world these characters exist in each day. Several events in the novel point to this supernatural world, and some of these events are small in terms of the plot of the novel, but larger when viewed from an overall standpoint. Choose one of these types of events, explain it in detail, and then analyze how such an event indicates such an underlying world.
Essay Topic 3
Catch and Gian Hen Gian are the two God-like creatures in the novel, and both influence the actions of others throughout the book.
Part 1: Compare and contrast the characters of Catch and Gian. How are they the same? How are they different?
Part 2: How do these characters influence the actions of others within the novel? Be sure to provide examples from the book.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)