|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Jennifer at work?
2. What does Augustus do to Travis at the end of Chapter 24?
3. What happens to Rivera in his career after his undercover job?
4. How does the farmer make money in jail?
5. What did the Breeze convince the farmer to do in the caves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Travis and Jennifer's evening after they arrive at her home at the end of Chapter 22.
2. What connection does the Nailgun find between the names and dates in Travis' suitcase?
3. Explain what Robert sees when he looks through Jennifer's window. Where has he seen Travis previously?
4. Explain what happens to Robert and Jennifer, Effrom, and Rivera during Chapter 36.
5. How do Augustus and Gian catch Travis at the end of Chapter 24?
6. Explain why Augustus lets Travis go.
7. Explain, in detail, why Amanda doesn't tell Effrom she is aware of his smoking and of his watching of women's exercise programs, and what she does to extend his pleasure.
8. Summarize the history of the Sacred Caves.
9. What does Augustus bring into his house, with the help of Gian? What does he explain they are?
10. How does Rachel convince Jennifer to come to the caves, and what does Jennifer do following this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several references to pop culture in the novel. The author creates humor by contrasting horrific or difficult situations with an everyday, commonplace interaction. Choose one reference which shows such characteristics and analyze it. What is the reference? Which characters are involved? How does the author's use of such a reference lighten the situation? Do you believe the result is successful?
Essay Topic 2
Murder, or the threat of murder, is used to attain many goals in the novel. Rachel and Catch, for example, use murder for two very different reasons. Choose one of these characters, and discuss their use of murder or the threat of murder to achieve their goals. Be sure to analyze their victims, why they kill or threaten, and whether or not you believe their actions in each case are justified. Also, be sure to explain the situation under which they kill or threaten to kill their victims.
Essay Topic 3
Women are portrayed in several ways in the novel. Jennifer herself is portrayed as a tolerant wife, a powerful, natural woman, a desirable woman who cares how she looks, and as a powerful woman. Rachel moves throughout the story from an abused wife to a seductive, power-seeking femme fatale. Mavis is also a strong female character, as is Amanda. Discuss at least two of these characters at length. Make sure to touch on their progress throughout the novel, their appearance, their role throughout the novel, and how their society views them in relation to the events of the novel.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)