|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is playing pool at the back of the bar when Robert arrives?
2. Who sits next to Robert at the bar?
3. What holiday are the Breeze and Billy celebrating?
4. Where does Robert go at the end of Chapter 8?
5. What does the Breeze believe the car is that pulls up behind him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gian Hen Gian come to be trapped in a bottle?
2. What is the second event that led Robert to believe miraculous events always arise to help him out of problems?
3. Several reasons are given that the older individuals in the bait store believe something supernatural has occurred. What are some of those reasons?
4. Explain Travis' control over Catch, in terms of what areas he can and cannot control.
5. Explain how Catch came to be on Earth.
6. A number of strange events occur in town on the night the Breeze disappears. List each of those events.
7. Why is Catch seeking a new master?
8. Give a brief description of Augustus Brine's approach to life.
9. Describe the pool game between Travis and Slick.
10. At the end of Chapter 2, an Arab man comes into the bait store. What do the patrons believe they see, in terms of his appearance as well as when he swears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, how and why human beings came to be placed on the Earth. Be sure to include background information, as well as other characters which play a part in the creation of mankind. Who created man? Why? What were the circumstances surrounding the creation? Were there beings before man? Why did they not continue to rule Earth?
Essay Topic 2
Power is a theme that runs throughout the novel. Choose one character below, and answer the following questions:. How does this character use power in the novel? What kind of power do they use? Is their use of such power for good or for evil? What are the results of the use of their power?
2. Gian Hen Gian
Essay Topic 3
Murder, or the threat of murder, is used to attain many goals in the novel. Rachel and Catch, for example, use murder for two very different reasons. Choose one of these characters, and discuss their use of murder or the threat of murder to achieve their goals. Be sure to analyze their victims, why they kill or threaten, and whether or not you believe their actions in each case are justified. Also, be sure to explain the situation under which they kill or threaten to kill their victims.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)