|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George Peters believe there were supernatural forces at work in Pine Cove?
2. Who pays to get Robert's cameras from the pawn shop?
3. What does the Breeze believe the car is that pulls up behind him?
4. Who is playing pool at the back of the bar when Robert arrives?
5. How does he escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Catch came to be on Earth.
2. How does Catch trick Rachel into helping him? Why does this trick work so effectively?
3. Describe Travis and Jennifer's dinner date.
4. Describe Effrom's morning routine at the beginning of Chapter 11.
5. In Chapter 1, the Breeze expresses several opinions of Billy Winston. Does the Breeze seem to like Billy?
6. How did Gian Hen Gian come to be trapped in a bottle?
7. Describe Rachel as a child, and her marriage to Merle Henderson.
8. Describe the ingredients Jennifer places into her water, noting what these ingredients can do with sunlight.
9. What are Billy's feelings for the Breeze?
10. Give a brief description of Augustus Brine's approach to life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is clearly a theme throughout the novel of corrupt morality within religious realms. Travis experiences this at the seminary in a tragic way. Describe, in detail, the corruptions of morality Travis experienced at the seminary. Do you think this had an effect on his overall belief in religion, based on his conversations later in the novel with Jennifer? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Augustus Brine is "chosen" to help save the world from the demon, Catch. He could have chosen not to participate, and instead accepted the situation as futile, thereby allowing the world to perish. Explain, using details from the book, those characteristics of Augustus Brine that made him suitable for the job, and unable to not accept the responsibility.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, there are several characters who attempt to hide their pasts from others in the novel. Rachel hides her marriage and her abusive history, Jennifer hides her marriage from Travis, and Travis hides his past from Jennifer. The entire town, as a matter of fact, attempts to cover up its past through the changing of the name of the town. Do you think such actions are ever warranted? Do you believe such actions have a purpose in life? Why or why not? Choose one character and analyze why they tried to hide their past? What did they lie about? Why? Were the lies justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)