|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kristeva say the "miracle" of Celine lies?
2. In which of Celine's books does his character Molly appear?
3. Kristeva says Celine's goal is to pervert and twist what?
4. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "L'Ecole des cadavres" published?
5. What is the name Celine was born with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Celine seem to feel about the French language and the English language?
2. What does Kristeva say Celine felt was the foundation of human existence?
3. Why does Kristeva say it makes sense that Celine would say his style was the most important part of his writing?
4. Why might Kristeva say many of Celine's stylistic choices be called anti-linguistic or anti-grammatical?
5. How does Kristeva say Celine displaced the mother in his depiction of very young girls?
6. How does Kristeva say the hatred of Jews act as a metaphor for the abject?
7. How does Kristeva say Celine's depictions of females relate to the abject?
8. How does Kristeva say Celine's work represents the division caused by economic inequality?
9. What does Kristeva mean when she says Celine's language exhibits a fascination with what might be called "binary" speech?
10. How does Kristeva say Celine captures the abject in his writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the feeling Kristeva says the reader gets from reading Celine. How does she describe the feeling? How do his writings seem to capture the abject? How does she, specifically, say reading Celine makes her feel? What do you think she means when she says his writings are liberating?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kristeva's reasoning for saying Celine's Nazism should not deter from the value of his work. What does Kristeva say about Celine's Nazism? Why does she say it need not detract from his writings? Does it seem like she is making excuses, or is what she says valid? What techniques does Kristeva use to convey her views on his Nazism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of the Other as part of the Oedipal triangle. What does Kristeva say the Other is? Why does man try to seek fulfillment through it? What happens when man stops trying to seek fulfillment through the Other? How does this relate to the abject?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)