|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristeva posits that the fear of what is a phobia that develops as a response to the abject of mother-lust?
2. According to Kristeva, Christ invited his disciples to see what from several angles?
3. According to Jewish rituals, a newborn boy is considered pure on what condition?
4. What does Kristeva name as the chief features of the abject?
5. What does Kristeva say it is necessary for a child to do because he has to repress his primal fears that still exist in him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kristeva say the abject relates to lust?
2. What does Kristeva say happens when one stops trying to seek out the "Other"?
3. How do some societies try to purify a "defiled" person?
4. Explain Kristeva's idea of the "zero state."
5. Why does Kristeva say man gained permission to eat some animals?
6. How does social status play a role in purity customs in India?
7. What reason does Kristeva give for why Christianity disregards the Levitical law?
8. How does Kristeva say Christianity and Judaism differ in the thoughts of impurity?
9. How does Kristeva say the Freudian model of the Oedipal triangle flawed?
10. According to class theory, how are the drives of an individual divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the idea that Kristeva wrote her book from a feminist perspective. Describe three instances where Kristeva talks specifically about women and their roles in society, history, or religion. What ideas does she have about women that seem to point to feminism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kristeva's reasoning for saying Celine's Nazism should not deter from the value of his work. What does Kristeva say about Celine's Nazism? Why does she say it need not detract from his writings? Does it seem like she is making excuses, or is what she says valid? What techniques does Kristeva use to convey her views on his Nazism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of the Other as part of the Oedipal triangle. What does Kristeva say the Other is? Why does man try to seek fulfillment through it? What happens when man stops trying to seek fulfillment through the Other? How does this relate to the abject?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)