|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Journey to the End of the Night," the narrator says that one should "always be frightened" of what?
2. Who does Kristeva say Celine's maternal figures depend on for their existence?
(a) Their husbands.
(b) Their lovers.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their employees.
3. Kristeva says that today's universe is divided between boredom, abjection, and what?
(a) Defined loving.
(b) Sharp intelligence.
(c) Piercing laughter.
(d) Morbid loathing.
4. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Mea Culpa" published?
5. What does Kristeva call Celine's idea that through violent confrontation, each person is reduced to the same, miserable state?
(a) Unified abjection.
(b) Violent abjection.
(c) Multiplied abjection.
(d) Mutual abjection.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the chief themes of Celine's work is the struggle between what groups?
2. According to Kristeva, Celine's language exhibits a fascination with what kind of speech?
3. Celine was of what nationality?
4. Kristeva says illusions give what to hatred?
5. Kristeva says Celine is the first to realize that emotional depths are revealed by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Kristeva give for why Celine agreed with anti-Jew sentiments?
2. How does Kristeva say Celine captures the abject in his writing?
3. Why would Celine's work not be considered abject when he was actively writing them?
4. How does Kristeva seem to feel about Celine's Nazism?
5. How did Celine use strong women in his works?
6. How, according to Kristeva, do Celine's works draw the reader to their primal repressions?
7. Why does Kristeva say that in Germany, even when Jews were seriously persecuted, they were punished with an increased vigor?
8. Why does Kristeva say it is rash to ignore any value one might find in the Anti-Semitism in Celine's work?
9. How does Kristeva say Celine displaced the mother in his depiction of very young girls?
10. Why does Kristeva say it makes sense that Celine would say his style was the most important part of his writing?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)