|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kristeva say the "miracle" of Celine lies?
(a) With the style of writing.
(b) With the content of what is written,
(c) With the process of his writing.
(d) With the reader's experience.
2. How does Celine often depict very young female characters?
(a) As innocent.
(b) As sexual.
(c) As violent.
(d) As humble.
3. Who said that a fictional theme is a "blasting of self-hood"?
(a) Georges Bataille.
(b) Henri Bergson.
(c) Emmanuel Lévinas.
(d) René Descartes.
4. Celine's doctoral dissertation dealt with what topic?
(a) Yellow fever.
(d) Puerperal fever.
5. In Celine's "Rigadoon," the work of the writer is compared to the patience of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kristeva, Celine's language exhibits a fascination with what kind of speech?
2. What kind of narrative machine does Kristeva say leaves her shaken to the point of exaltation?
3. Kristeva says Celine anchors the destiny of literature through a re-assumption of what?
4. Kristeva says Celine anchors the destiny of literature through a re-assumption that he makes by use of what?
5. Kristeva says narrative in abject literature assumes that there is a sharp distinction between subject and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kristeva say that in Germany, even when Jews were seriously persecuted, they were punished with an increased vigor?
2. How does Kristeva say Celine's work represents the division caused by economic inequality?
3. How, according to Kristeva, do Celine's works draw the reader to their primal repressions?
4. How does Kristeva seem to feel about Celine's Nazism?
5. How does Kristeva say Celine captures the abject in his writing?
6. How does Kristeva say the hatred of Jews act as a metaphor for the abject?
7. How did Celine use strong women in his works?
8. Why does Kristeva say her reading of Celine will not be a thematic one?
9. Describe Celine's mother type of character.
10. What does Kristeva mean when she says Celine is neither actor nor martyr?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)