|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What race did Celine seem fascinated with?
2. Chapter 7 "Suffering and Horror" begins with a quote from what book?
(a) School of Corpses.
(b) Death on the Installment Plan.
(c) Trifles for a Massacre.
(d) Journey to the End of the Night.
3. In abject literature, Kristeva says there must be a narrator who is distinct from what?
(a) His emotions.
(c) What he is narrating.
(d) His characters.
4. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "L'Ecole des cadavres" published?
5. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying he is not a man ideas but a man of what?
6. Kristeva says that today's universe is divided between boredom, abjection, and what?
(a) Piercing laughter.
(b) Defined loving.
(c) Morbid loathing.
(d) Sharp intelligence.
7. Kristeva says illusions give what to hatred?
8. Kristeva says that the reader is thrown into what kind of state when reading Celine?
9. In which of Celine's books does his character Molly appear?
(a) Trifles for a Massacre.
(b) Journey to the End of the Night.
(c) Death on the Installment Plan.
(d) School of Corpses.
10. Celine wrote during the rise of National Socialism in what country?
11. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Bagatelles pour un massacre" published?
12. What language did Celine describe as regal in a quote Kristeva uses in Chapter 10?
13. Kristeva says Celine saw his home country as becoming dominated by a secret conspiracy by whom?
14. Kristeva says the hatred of Jews is a metaphor for a very primal struggle against what perception?
(a) The favored mistress.
(b) The favored brother.
(c) The favored sister.
(d) The favored parent.
15. How does Celine often depict very young female characters?
(a) As humble.
(b) As innocent.
(c) As sexual.
(d) As violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristeva says a laughing apocalypse is an apocalypse without what?
2. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying that the mother gives life without what?
3. According to Kristeva, Celine's language exhibits a fascination with what kind of speech?
4. What language did Celine say he loathed in a quote Kristeva uses in Chapter 10?
5. Kristeva begins Chapter 6 "Celine: Neither Actor Nor Martyr" with a quote by whom?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)