|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For Celine, what is the foundation of human existence?
2. About how long has Celine been dead when this book was written?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 50 years.
(d) 10 years,
3. According to Kristeva, Celine's language exhibits a fascination with what kind of speech?
4. Celine wrote during the rise of National Socialism in what country?
5. In "Death on the Installment Plan," who teaches the narrator to read?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His brother.
6. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying he is not a man ideas but a man of what?
7. What language did Celine say he loathed in a quote Kristeva uses in Chapter 10?
8. Whose work does Kristeva describe as "stainless, serene" and as having "nostalgic beauty"?
9. Kristeva says Celine anchors the destiny of literature through a re-assumption that he makes by use of what?
10. In which of Celine's books does the narrator say, "A beautiful shroud embroidered with tales--that's what the Pale Lady wants"?
(a) School of Corpses.
(b) Journey to the End of the Night.
(c) Trifles for a Massacre.
(d) Death on the Installment Plan.
11. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Mea Culpa" published?
12. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying slang is a language of what?
13. What does Kristeva call Celine's idea that through violent confrontation, each person is reduced to the same, miserable state?
(a) Unified abjection.
(b) Violent abjection.
(c) Multiplied abjection.
(d) Mutual abjection.
14. In "Journey to the End of the Night," the narrator says that one should "always be frightened" of what?
15. Kristeva says illusions give what to hatred?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of Celine's works is dizziness a motif?
2. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Les Beaux Draps" published?
3. During the 1930s, what group does Kristeva say was arguing for the status quo?
4. What act of depravity does Kristeva point out that Celine uses in relation with very young girls to revolt his reader?
5. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Bagatelles pour un massacre" published?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)