|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What act of depravity does Kristeva point out that Celine uses in relation with very young girls to revolt his reader?
2. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying he is the son of a woman who repairs what?
(b) Wood furnishings.
(d) Ancient lace.
3. To whom does Kristeva say "Journey to the End of the Night" is dedicated?
(a) Marie Kelly.
(b) Delores Meyer.
(c) Elisabeth Craig.
(d) Kaitlin Forshee.
4. In "Death on the Installment Plan," who teaches the narrator to read?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His grandmother.
5. One of the chief themes of Celine's work is the struggle between what groups?
6. Where does Kristeva say the "miracle" of Celine lies?
(a) With the style of writing.
(b) With the reader's experience.
(c) With the content of what is written,
(d) With the process of his writing.
7. Chapter 8 "Those Females Who Wreck the Infinite" begins with a quote by whom?
(c) Georges Bataille.
(d) Victor Hugo.
8. Chapter 8 "Those Females Who Wreck the Infinite" begins with a quote that was taken from a letter written to whom?
(a) Milton Hindus.
(b) Terry Teachout.
(c) Pauline Smith.
(d) Whittaker Chambers.
9. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying his aim was to do what to language?
10. What is the last name of the "Journey to the End of the Night" character Arthur?
11. In which of Celine's works is dizziness a motif?
(a) Death on the Installment Plan.
(b) Trifles for a Massacre.
(c) School of Corpses.
(d) Journey to the End of the Night.
12. Kristeva says literature undermines itself when it attempts to analyze what?
(a) Its characters.
(c) The abject.
(d) The object.
13. Kristeva says the hatred of Jews is a metaphor for a very primal struggle against what perception?
(a) The favored mistress.
(b) The favored parent.
(c) The favored brother.
(d) The favored sister.
14. What race did Celine seem fascinated with?
15. Whose work does Kristeva describe as "stainless, serene" and as having "nostalgic beauty"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Celine followed what political affiliation?
2. Chapter 7 "Suffering and Horror" begins with a quote from Celine which says "one can be a virgin with respect to Horror as one is a virgin toward" what?
3. Celine wrote during the rise of National Socialism in what country?
4. For Celine, what is the foundation of human existence?
5. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Bagatelles pour un massacre" published?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)