|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last name of James Joyce's Molly character?
2. Chapter 8 "Those Females Who Wreck the Infinite" begins with a quote that was taken from a letter written to whom?
(a) Pauline Smith.
(b) Terry Teachout.
(c) Milton Hindus.
(d) Whittaker Chambers.
3. Chapter 7 "Suffering and Horror" begins with a quote from Celine which says "one can be a virgin with respect to Horror as one is a virgin toward" what?
4. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Bagatelles pour un massacre" published?
5. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "Mea Culpa" published?
6. Kristeva says she gets a feeling from reading Celine that she does not get from whom?
7. Whose work does Kristeva describe as "stainless, serene" and as having "nostalgic beauty"?
8. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying his aim was to do what to language?
9. Chapter 10 "In the Beginning and Without End . . ." begins with a quote from Celine which says that "in the beginning was" what?
10. Chapter 9 "Ours to Jew or Die" begins with a quote by whom?
11. During the 1930s, what group does Kristeva say was unhappy with the division that was caused by economic inequality, even if they did not call for radical economic restructuring?
(a) National Socialists.
12. Where does Kristeva say the "miracle" of Celine lies?
(a) With the content of what is written,
(b) With the reader's experience.
(c) With the process of his writing.
(d) With the style of writing.
13. Kristeva says Celine saw his home country as becoming dominated by a secret conspiracy by whom?
14. What is the name Celine was born with?
(a) Juan Ferdinand.
(b) Dupont Chevalier.
(c) Louis Destouches.
(d) Francis Perrot.
15. What kind of narrative machine does Kristeva say leaves her shaken to the point of exaltation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Kristeva quotes Celine as saying he is the son of a woman who repairs what?
2. Kristeva says illusions give what to hatred?
3. What is Celine's character Molly's occupation?
4. In what year was Celine's pamphlet "L'Ecole des cadavres" published?
5. About how long has it been since the publication of "Journey to the End of the Night" when this book was written?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)