|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristeva makes use of what complex to explain the genesis of the abject?
2. What does Kristeva say God did not want Adam to become?
(a) An angel.
(b) A god.
(c) An animal.
(d) A demon.
3. Kristeva says Freud is successful in his treatment of the subject-object relation when he approaches it from the perspective of what?
4. Kristeva says Christ taught that impurity was something that took place where?
(a) In a person's soul.
(b) In a person's brain.
(c) In the Old Testement.
(d) In a person's imagination.
5. What does Kristeva says is the only way man can express the abject?
(c) Through religion.
6. Leviticus talks about the impurity associated with what disease?
7. Freud links a little boy's fear of horses to a fear of what?
(b) His father.
(d) Missing sex organs.
8. In order to be eaten, according to the Old Testament, an animal has to eat what?
9. To whom does Kristeva attribute the theory of structural anthropology?
(a) James George Frazer.
(b) Jean-Paul Sartre.
(c) Bernard Kouchner.
(d) Claude Lévi-Strauss.
10. Who does Kristeva say is not directly involved when a child is weaned from his mother's breast?
(a) The father.
(b) The mother.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) A doctor.
11. Freud says "In the beginning was the deed" at the end of which of his books?
(a) Moses and Monotheism.
(b) Studies on Hysteria.
(c) The Interpretation of Dreams.
(d) Totem and Taboo.
12. Kristeva says Judaism always conceived of impurity as what kind of reality?
13. How many prevailing interpretations of the laws regarding ritual impurity in the Old Testament does Kristeva say there are?
14. What does Kristeva say it is necessary for a child to do because he has to repress his primal fears that still exist in him?
(a) Ignore them.
(b) Learn to express them.
(c) Adapt to them.
(d) Get rid of them.
15. What does Kristeva call it when a child is in a perfect equilibrium of desire and satisfaction?
(a) Low state.
(b) Nothing state.
(c) Zero state.
(d) Blank slate.
Short Answer Questions
1. One interpretation of the laws in the Old Testament, which Kristeva cites, says they are the arbitrary will of who?
2. According to Kristeva, Christ invited his disciples to see what from several angles?
3. What act in Jewish laws makes women impure for weeks?
4. Kristeva says women are often unfairly considered to be what?
5. In the Old Testament, Adam was punished for eating from what?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)