|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kristeva says the abject is somewhere between being an object and what?
(a) Not being an object.
(b) Being nothing.
(c) Being a subject.
(d) Not being a subject.
2. Kristeva believes that phobias are what kind of representations of primal fears which children are forced to repress?
3. To whom does Kristeva attribute the theory of structural anthropology?
(a) Bernard Kouchner.
(b) Claude Lévi-Strauss.
(c) James George Frazer.
(d) Jean-Paul Sartre.
4. Kristeva says the fear of what is truly horrifying?
(d) The abject.
5. In order to be eaten, according to the Old Testament, an animal has to eat what?
6. Since the boy is forced to repress his desire for the "maternal body" at a young age, Kristeva says he has not yet understood the situation in what way?
7. Freud believed his Oedipus complex produces a kind of mental archetype for what?
(a) All repulsion.
(b) All hatred.
(c) All repression.
(d) All desire.
8. Unlike Jews, Kristeva says Christians disregard what?
(a) The Levitical law.
(b) The New Testament.
(c) Christ's teachings.
(d) The ten commandments.
9. Freud saw his Oedipus complex as what?
(a) A literary device.
(b) A metaphor.
(c) A stage in childhood development.
(d) A necessary stage in natural selection.
10. What does Kristeva name as the chief features of the abject?
(a) Its ambiguity.
(b) Its universality.
(c) Its lucidity.
(d) Its explicitness.
11. Kristeva says Christ taught that impurity was something that took place where?
(a) In a person's brain.
(b) In the Old Testement.
(c) In a person's soul.
(d) In a person's imagination.
12. According to Christianity, a person is born with what type of sin?
(a) False sin.
(b) The sin of past gods.
(c) Satan's sin.
(d) Original sin.
13. Insofar as the repressed desires are related to the proper use of one's body, Kristeva says the body becomes an object of what?
(a) Embarrassment and sin.
(b) Rejection and fear.
(c) Pride and hope.
(d) Reflection and shame.
14. What example does Kristeva give for the imagery of separation as shown in the Gospel?
(a) Noah and his ark.
(b) Sharing of fish.
(c) Jonah and the whale.
(d) Multiplication of loaves.
15. Kristeva says purity is usually associated with conducting what type of affairs in certain ways?
(a) Marital affairs.
(b) Sexual affairs.
(c) Hygienic affairs.
(d) Financial affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud links a little boy's fear of horses to a fear of what?
2. Kristeva says that the ritualization of defilement and purification is also responsible for creating inequality between whom?
3. Kristeva cites Neusner as having studied what law?
4. According to many anthropologists and psychologists, what are the two acts which are condemned almost universally by all societies?
5. When looking at Old Testament laws, the eating of meat was forbidden to man prior to what?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)