|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Traditionally, Christians link all sin to what?
(b) The original sin of Adam.
(c) The flood.
2. What does Kristeva say is, historically, man's primary response to the perversion caused by the abject?
(a) Rejection and fear.
(b) Religion and morality.
(c) Denial and hatred.
(d) Lawlessness and insubordination.
3. Kristeva says the permission, given in the Old Testament, to eat some animals is given out of a recognition of what?
(a) Man's kindness.
(b) A unity with nature.
(c) Man's evil nature.
(d) Noah's faithfulness.
4. In some societies, Kristeva says a person who is defiled becomes clean how?
(a) Through love.
(b) Through God.
(c) Through rejection.
(d) Through rites.
5. The Oedipus complex assumes that the child's first object of desire is what?
(a) The mother.
6. What does Kristeva say God did not want Adam to become?
(a) An angel.
(b) A god.
(c) An animal.
(d) A demon.
7. Freud believed his Oedipus complex produces a kind of mental archetype for what?
(a) All repulsion.
(b) All repression.
(c) All desire.
(d) All hatred.
8. What state does Freud say a subject will be sent into when the repressed desire for one's mother's body breaks out of its repression?
9. Phobias are irrational fears which have what?
(a) An unspecified object.
(b) A vague aim.
(c) A definite object.
(d) Roots in reality.
10. One interpretation of the laws in the Old Testament, which Kristeva cites, says that impurity is identified with contact with whom?
(b) Adam and Eve.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) Evil supernatural forces.
11. How many prevailing interpretations of the laws regarding ritual impurity in the Old Testament does Kristeva say there are?
12. Freud links a little boy's fear of horses to a fear of what?
(a) Missing sex organs.
(b) His father.
13. In Christ's teachings, Kristeva says he wanted to move away from the single minded absolutism of whom?
(a) The ancient Egyptians.
(b) The ancient Greeks.
(c) The Pagans.
(d) The Jews.
14. According to Kristeva's definition of the abject, the abject is created from repressing what?
15. Kristeva says that the Christian account of sin could be defined as what?
(a) Objectional abjection.
(b) Subjectified abjection.
(c) Abjectionist objection.
(d) Objectied subjection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act in Jewish laws makes women impure for weeks?
2. According to Kristeva's definition of the abject, the abject cannot be acknowledged through what?
3. What religion does Kristeva say Christianity emerged from?
4. Kristeva quotes "And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation" from what book of the Bible?
5. Kristeva says women are often unfairly considered to be what?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)