|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Semiotics of Biblical Abomination.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When looking at impurity and the abject, Kristeva says things which extend beyond the body's margin are considered what?
2. The Oedipus complex assumes that the child's first object of desire is what?
(a) The mother.
3. Kristeva compares the abject to the experience of looking at a corpse and seeing what?
(a) A living being.
(b) Nothing at all.
(c) A person which should be alive.
(d) Someone who never lived.
4. Since the boy is forced to repress his desire for the "maternal body" at a young age, Kristeva says he has not yet understood the situation in what way?
5. In some societies, Kristeva says a person who is defiled becomes clean how?
(a) Through love.
(b) Through God.
(c) Through rejection.
(d) Through rites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What way does Kristeva say a person will begin to act in when he no longer has any regard for the law?
2. The author says the traditional Freudian model of the Oedipal triangle is what?
3. What does Kristeva says is the only way man can express the abject?
4. Phobias are irrational fears which have what?
5. What taboo does Kristeva say it is easy to see develop out of the abject?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)