|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What act of generosity does the priest perform on the way to the village?
(a) He hears the mestizo's confession.
(b) He shares a drink of wine.
(c) He gives the mestizo his crucifix.
(d) He gives the mestizo his last few coins.
2. How does the boy react to the man at the door?
(a) He threatens to find his friend the lieutenant.
(b) He learns he is a priest and falls to his knees and kisses his hand.
(c) He believes he is dreaming.
(d) He slams the door in the man's face.
3. What strange thing does the lieutenant do before he sends the priest out of the jail?
(a) He asks the priest to say a prayer.
(b) He gives the priest a Bible.
(c) He returns the priest's brandy.
(d) He gives the priest five pesos.
4. As the priest, the mestizo, and the guide head for the Yankee, what do they approach?
(a) Villagers armed with sticks and stones.
(b) An Indian hut village in the distance.
(c) A large chasm they have to cross.
(d) A group of policemen on horseback.
5. What does the priest say to the lieutenant as a parting word?
(a) That he is a good man and he will have nothing to be afraid of when he dies.
(b) That he will burn in hell for attempting to stamp out the Church.
(c) That he will never be able to sleep peacefully again.
(d) That his blood will not be on the lieutenant's hands.
6. What is the result of the lieutenant's visit with Father José?
(a) Father José curses and says he is no longer a priest.
(b) Father José is terrified and will not come to the jail.
(c) Father José says the man they have is not a real priest.
(d) Father José agrees if the lieutenant will guarantee his safety.
7. As they reach the town, what is the priest's request of the lieutenant?
(a) That the children be kept away from his execution.
(b) That he will have a good lawyer.
(c) That his execution will be quick.
(d) That he get Father José to hear his confession.
8. What option does the lieutenant offer to the priest?
(a) To have a big last meal or a full bottle of brandy.
(b) To get killed in an attempt to escape jail.
(c) To be executed in a group of other condemned men or by himself.
(d) To renounce his religion and stay alive in jail.
9. What is the priest able to do in this village?
(a) Hold mass, baptize, and hear confessions.
(b) Drink all the brandy he wants.
(c) Hide where the police cannot find him.
(d) Live in a hotel.
10. How does Mr. Trench feel at learning the man being executed is the priest?
(a) Lucky that he is not religious.
(b) Indifferent to anything that happens in Mexico.
(c) Afraid that they might find the priest's Bible in his house.
(d) Like he is seeing a neighbor being killed.
11. What happens after the priest tries in vain to confess?
(a) He curses himself and God.
(b) He tries to pray but cannt.
(c) He drinks the rest of the brandy.
(d) He falls asleep and dreams.
12. At first, what does the woman who speaks to the priest believe about him?
(a) That he is not really a priest.
(b) That God will spare his life because he is the last one.
(c) That he will get out of jail by denying his faith.
(d) That he is a martyr.
13. On his way north, who does the priest meet?
(a) The lieutenant.
(b) A group of red shirts.
(c) The mestizo.
(d) A man carrying a gun.
14. What does the woman say she when she hears the priest say he has not repented of his sins and doesn't want to.
(a) That he is speaking out of fear and a martyr is never afraid.
(b) She will light a candle for him when she gets out of jail.
(c) She will write the bisdhop as soon as she gets out of jail.
(d) That he is just saying that to spare the other prisoners.
15. How far away is the Yankee when the priest sends the guide and mules back?
(a) Just down the hill.
(b) A day's travel on foot.
(c) Just on the outskirts.
(d) About one hour away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Fellows wonder when he hears that a priest was executed?
2. Why does the priest envy the people of the village?
3. Where does the man with the gun take the priest?
4. Why do the priest and the lieutenant re-enter the hut with the now dead Yankee?
5. How does the priest earn money?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)