|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the priest treated in the village?
(a) Like a suspicious stranger.
(b) With respect, people kneeling and kissing his hand.
(c) Like an outcast.
(d) Like any ordinary citizen.
2. What are the weather conditions in the mountains?
(a) There is freezing rain.
(b) It is sunny and cool.
(c) The wind is hurricane force.
(d) It is dry and hot.
3. What does the priest wonder about the other prisoners?
(a) What they did to get put in jail.
(b) If any of them will get shot.
(c) Which one will trun him in.
(d) If some of them carry disease.
4. In the village, before seeing the Yankee, for what does the priest wish?
(a) That his luck will hold out one more time.
(b) That the police would hurry up and show themselves.
(c) That God would take him before the police have a chance.
(d) That he had another bottle of wine.
5. What happens after the priest tries in vain to confess?
(a) He drinks the rest of the brandy.
(b) He curses himself and God.
(c) He tries to pray but cannt.
(d) He falls asleep and dreams.
6. What surprises the lieutenant as they talk inside the hut?
(a) That the priest has decided to be a martyr.
(b) That the priest offers him a large bribe to let him go.
(c) That the priest has a daughter.
(d) That the priest is a whiskey priest.
7. What does Mr. Trench see out of the window at the Police chief's office?
(a) The execution of the priest.
(b) The priest being blindfolded.
(c) The boys playing at performing an execution.
(d) A pile of bodies being set on fire.
8. What information dismays the priest?
(a) The lieutenant is determined to have all the children see the execution.
(b) He will be crucified in the plaza of the capital.
(c) He will suffer a prolonged and agonizing death.
(d) He will have to return to the capital to stand trial.
9. What does the priest now begin to wonder?
(a) If the police will shoot him from a distance.
(b) If the police have left the village.
(c) If the Yankee will kill him in exchange for his freedom.
(d) If the mestizo will be the one to shoot him.
10. To what does the priest compare the disciplines of the church?
(a) The Ten Commandments.
(b) Preparing troops for battle.
(c) The secular laws of the land.
(d) The constitution of a democracy.
11. Although he believes the mestizo is laying a trap for him, what does the priest do?
(a) He turns and heads for the Yankee.
(b) He gives the mestizo all his money.
(c) He holds a gun on the mestizo but goes with him.
(d) He assures Mr. Lehr that he will be all right.
12. What is the Indian woman searching for in the maize?
(a) A Bible she hid there.
(b) The body of her son.
(c) The jewelry she hid there.
(d) Some dried meat she has been saving.
13. How does the priest awake the morning of his scheduled execution?
(a) With great hope because of his dream the night before.
(b) With despair knowing this is his last day.
(c) Thinking he is already dead and in heaven.
(d) Confused, not knowing where he is.
14. What is it like for the priest in the Mexican prison?
(a) He finds himself in a room filled with murderers.
(b) It is brightly lit but very crowded.
(c) He notices there is no place to sit.
(d) It is dark and crowded with many different sounds.
15. Why does the priest envy the people of the village?
(a) They have large, happy families.
(b) They are all rich.
(c) They can get absolution, but he cannot.
(d) They have never feared the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lehr not like about the Catholic Church?
2. What does the lieutenant do after the priest falls dead?
3. What news does the lieutenant give the priest in jail?
4. What is the priest's response when a man says it is better not to believe in God?
5. What unusual thing does the priest do in prison?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)