|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the priest able to do in this village?
(a) Drink all the brandy he wants.
(b) Live in a hotel.
(c) Hold mass, baptize, and hear confessions.
(d) Hide where the police cannot find him.
2. When the priest sends back the guide and the mules, why is the mestizo mockingly concerned.
(a) He was counting on selling the mules.
(b) He had planned to make his own get away on a mule.
(c) He thinks the priest should have waited about half an hour.
(d) He must behave as though he thinks the priest will be returning.
3. How well does the priest sleep in the crowded cell?
(a) He sleeps soundly from exhaustion.
(b) He does not sleep for thinking about his death.
(c) He cannot sleep at all because of the noise.
(d) He leans against the wall and drifts in and out of sleep.
4. What does the priest reply when the lieutenant says he never thought the priest would return?
(a) What else could he do against the armed mestizo?
(b) After a while everyone gets tired of running.
(c) I never thought I would, either.
(d) Even a coward has a sense of duty.
5. How does the boy react to the man at the door?
(a) He learns he is a priest and falls to his knees and kisses his hand.
(b) He believes he is dreaming.
(c) He slams the door in the man's face.
(d) He threatens to find his friend the lieutenant.
6. What does the priest take it to mean when the Indian woman says, Americano?
(a) That her husband is in America.
(b) That the American fugitive killed the boy.
(c) That this wouldn't happen in America.
(d) That the boy is an American.
7. Where does the man with the gun take the priest?
(a) To his house down in the valley.
(b) To a safe place where there is a church.
(c) Back to Carmen.
(d) To the police station.
8. What does the priest say he can do even though he himself is bad?
(a) He can listen to confessions and help people feel better.
(b) He can teach children how to respect authority.
(c) He can still put the body and blood of Christ into the poor peoples' mouths.
(d) He can help people when a family member dies.
9. What happens to him instead of being killed?
(a) He is given a job to clean out the cells to pay for his fine.
(b) He is sent to the governor for interrogation.
(c) He is enlisted to help hunt down the priest.
(d) He is ordered to leave the town and never return.
10. What unusual thing does the priest do in prison?
(a) He starts offering loud prayers.
(b) He tells people there that he is a priest.
(c) He holds a mass in the prison.
(d) He begins to behave like the crazy man.
11. What information dismays the priest?
(a) He will have to return to the capital to stand trial.
(b) The lieutenant is determined to have all the children see the execution.
(c) He will suffer a prolonged and agonizing death.
(d) He will be crucified in the plaza of the capital.
12. Where does the priest wake up after meeting the man with the gun?
(a) Inside the small church.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In jail.
(d) In the home of the Lehrs, a brother and sister from Germany.
13. Who does he see in his dream?
(a) Angels coming down from heaven.
(b) The grinning face of the mestizo.
(c) Coral, the girl who tried to help him.
(d) His daughter mocking him.
14. What is it that the priest cannot think of?
(a) Where he left his Bible.
(b) Just one soul he has saved.
(c) Why he did not bless the mestizo.
(d) What his daughter looks like.
15. What does the priest admit in the prison?
(a) That the Church has always been wrong.
(b) That Christianity makes people brave.
(c) That he is a bad priest and a bad man.
(d) That he cannot excape death.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the priest leaves the woman and her dead son in the cemetery, what does he find when he returns?
2. Why can he not say the act of contrition?
3. What are the weather conditions in the mountains?
4. What does Mr. Trench see out of the window at the Police chief's office?
5. What makes the priest fear the lieutenant will recognize him from Carmen?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)