|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the lieutenant meets up with some boys who are interested in his gun, what passes through his mind?
(a) These boys know that the gun is more powerful than the Bible.
(b) The boys will one day be policemen and soldiers.
(c) The boys should be in school.
(d) For their sakes, he will start a massacre.
2. What do the police suspect about the priest?
(a) They believe he tried to escape to Vera Cruz but he did not catch the boat.
(b) They suspect he is in Mexico City.
(c) They think he is probably in Vera Cruz by now.
(d) They think he may have gone to the Yucatan.
3. How many priests has the lieutenant already executed?
(a) He has shot five but several escaped including the bishop, who is safely in Mexico City.
(b) He has killed twenty priests and only this one remains.
(c) He has never gotten close enough to a priest to kill one.
(d) He has shot one priest and wants to get another one soon.
4. What is the priest's response when a man says it is better not to believe in God?
(a) He says the man will change his mind just before he dies.
(b) He asks if they believed the Governor did not exist would they not be in prison?
(c) He says the man is probably right, but he cannot change this late in life.
(d) He says that God hears blasphemy whenever it is spoken.
5. What is Greene's contrast between the two priests in the story?
(a) One is a whisky priest and the other is not.
(b) The only difference is that one of them is married.
(c) One refuses his responsibility but the other tries to run away from responsibility.
(d) Both men are sinners and cannot be considered good priests, yet they choose very different paths.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Police Chief think it will be difficult to identify the priest?
2. What does the priest wonder about the other prisoners?
3. What does Father José fear if he says a prayer at the graveside?
4. How does the priest seek assistance in the city?
5. What is Father José's final answer to the bereaved family?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)