|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Starbucks face the crisis of rising coffee bean costs?
(a) July 1995.
(b) February 1994.
(c) March 1995.
(d) June 1994.
2. How much does Starbucks raise it's prices after the second freeze extends the crisis?
(a) Just under five percent.
(b) Just over ten percent.
(c) Just under ten percent.
(d) Just over five percent.
3. How does Howard consider the task of meeting the expectations of Wall Street after the company goes public?
4. What does Howard feel Starbucks' competitive advantage is?
(a) The communication provided by other coffee companies.
(b) The communication provided by store employees.
(c) The ability to merge with other companies.
(d) The ability to adjust prices as needed.
5. Which one of the following is not one of the magazines that United Airlines places an ad in to advertise their association with Starbucks?
(c) U.S. News.
(d) Business Week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which principles does Howard think will continue to drive Starbucks' success?
2. How long did it take Starbucks and United Airlines to fix the problem and raise the quality of the coffee served on flights?
3. What is Howard's initial response to the idea of serving cold drinks in the stores?
4. What mistake does Starbucks make in stocking the stores for the disastrous season Howard talks about in the end of the book?
5. During the disappointing holiday season, how is the design of the packaging changed, making it unacceptable to customers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reference is included at the end of Pour Your Heart Into It, and how does it reflect Howard's success with Starbucks?
2. What decisions does Starbucks make when the crisis is extended and eventually passes?
3. What is the result of the first Starbucks international store?
4. What causes the lowered quality of the coffee that United Airlines serves on its flights?
5. What is historic about the meeting that Howard calls after the 1995 holiday season?
6. What changes does Starbucks make after receiving negative publicity?
7. What issues does Howard deal with as he attempts to keep Starbucks small while growing big?
8. What is an example of a negative claim that was made against Starbucks?
9. How does Starbucks choose the design for its stores?
10. What crisis hits the coffee industry and how does Starbucks initially react?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)