|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the focus of the computerized systems installed in Starbucks stores in 1991?
(a) Sales, growth, and inventory.
(b) Only inventory.
(c) Sales and inventory, but not growth.
(d) Sales and growth, but not inventory.
2. When does Howard graduate from college?
3. What novel features a character that inspired the Starbucks name?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) Gulliver's Travels.
(c) Tom Sawyer.
(d) Moby Dick.
4. How does Howard describe the service in Starbucks stores when he first begins working there?
5. What position is Orin Smith hired for?
(a) Chief Executive Officer.
(b) District Manager.
(c) Chief Financial Officer.
(d) Advertising Consultant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Howard's primary role in Starbucks during the time when he is joined by people to help the company expand?
2. What does Dave Olsen contribute to Howard's vision for Il Giornale?
3. Which one of the following does Howard agree to let serve Starbucks coffee to their clients?
4. What point does Howard make in response to the less than positive reaction that his new employee plan receives from board members?
5. How much does Ron Margolis invest in Il Giornale?
Short Essay Questions
1. What atmosphere does Howard strive to create at Starbucks?
2. What happens to Howard's father that causes him to rethink his move to Seattle?
3. How does the death of his father change the way Howard remembers him?
4. Who is Dave Olsen and what does he bring to Il Giornale?
5. What is Howard's intent with Il Giornale, and how does he receive the money needed for the business' expansion plan?
6. Why does Howard find merging Starbucks and Il Giornale to be challenging, and who does he hire to help with the operations, finance, and human resources?
7. How does Howard convince Jerry Baldwin to begin serving espressos, and what leads him to leave Starbucks?
8. What causes Howard to hire Orin Smith?
9. What is Bean Stock and how is it introduced?
10. How does the purchase of Peet's Coffee and Tea divide the Starbucks company?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)