|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a 1996 survey, what percentage of United Airlines coffee drinkers described the Starbucks coffee as excellent?
(a) Seventy one.
(b) Fifty one.
(c) Forty one.
(d) Eighty one.
2. What is the profession of Don Valencia, the person that invents a coffee extract?
3. Which one of the following is not a Starbucks product developed from Don's coffee extract base?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Instant coffee mix.
(d) Bottled beverages.
4. What percentage of United Airlines passengers tasted their first Starbucks coffee, according to Starbucks' research?
5. How does Howard think the obstacles encountered can be solved?
(a) By everyone involved.
(b) By only the store managers.
(c) By only the store employees.
(d) By only the board members.
6. Which area has Starbucks stores that become frustrated about the lack of cold drinks to offer customers?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
(d) Santa Monica.
7. What date does Starbucks finally go public?
(a) November 18, 1992.
(b) July 26, 1992.
(c) September 18, 1992.
(d) June 26, 1992.
8. What is significant about the meeting Howard has with the Seattle team to share his concerns for the unreached sales goals?
(a) It is the first online conference for the company.
(b) It is the first time he has indicated thoughts of selling the company.
(c) It is the first time he has spoken to the entire team at once.
(d) It is the first time he has not hidden his angst.
9. What keeps shoppers away during the worst holiday season in the company's history?
(a) Poor advertising.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) Limited parking.
(d) High prices.
10. Which one of the following cities is not included in the locations for Starbucks stores that opened in 1994?
(b) New York City.
11. What role does Howard talk about transitioning into at the end of the book?
(a) A silent partner.
(b) A colleague.
(c) A cheerleader.
(d) An advisor.
12. What does Howard encourage his team to do after the disappointing holiday season?
(a) Stop trying to anticipate trends and start developing new products.
(b) Stop trying to anticipate trends and stop developing new products.
(c) Anticipate trends and stop developing new products.
(d) Anticipate trends and develop new products.
13. In order to spend more time with his family, what title does Howard give to Orin in 1994?
(a) Vice President.
(b) President and Chief Executive Officer.
(c) Executive Partner.
(d) President and Chief Operating Officer.
14. What year does Howard open the first Starbucks store in Japan?
15. What country are the detractors that accuse Starbucks of paying too little for their coffee from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Howard with the idea to sell music compilations in Starbucks stores?
2. What type of music is featured on the CDs that Starbucks begins selling?
3. How long did it take Starbucks and United Airlines to fix the problem and raise the quality of the coffee served on flights?
4. What person is quoted at the very beginning of Chapter 21?
5. As the CEO of Starbucks, who is Howard's primary responsibility directed towards?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)