|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marino suggest that Bill Boltz wife would take her own life?
2. Who does Abby go after since she can't touch Bill and Abby says will most likely not have a job when Scarpetta returns from her vacation with Lucy?
3. In the beginning of chapter nine what does Scarpetta say she is sure has something to do with the missing link between the women?
4. What does Scarpetta say about Lucy's IQ in chapter fourteen?
5. What does Scarpetta tell her mother when her mother asks her about how bad she sounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spiro suggest to Scarpetta in chapter twelve regarding the murder of Henna?
2. What happens in chapter nine after Lucy goes to bed?
3. What does Scarpetta and Boltz discuss over dinner in chapter ten?
4. What does Marino come in with in chapter thirteen?
5. What does Abby Turnbull say happened to her that the police didn't help with?
6. Explain what is discovered about the killer by the end of the book.
7. In chapter eleven what does Abby recall about telling her sister to be careful?
8. What happens in chapter fourteen when Scarpetta arrives for work?
9. What is Scarpetta told when her mother calls in chapter nine?
10. Describe the scene at home in chapter fourteen when Scarpetta arrives home to Lucy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it that Scarpetta feels for the victims that she has had to autopsy for this murder? What does it reveal about Scarpetta that she has let it get to her on a personal level? Could part of the reason she has taken these murder's to heart be in part because she is a woman.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following to write about:
1) Speculate on what it was about Matt Peterson that Scarpetta also believed was not adding up. Is there a reason that the author wouldn't have gone back to answer this question?
2) What role does the DNA and forensic evidence play in the story? Could the story have been written and focused much less on this information? Explain.
3) Which of the subplots seen in the story are likely to be looked at again in later books in the series? Explain why these seem significant.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What does it say about Bill that he asked Marino to keep an eye on Scarpetta?
Part 2) Is it possible that Bill will attack another woman, if he was guilty of raping Abby?
Part 3) Is there any indication that Bill will be back in other Scarpetta books? Explain why the author would or would not reuse him.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)