|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which body part is the only one that Henry moves at work in Chapters 5-6?
2. Who becomes pregnant in Chapter 4?
3. Who was shocked to learn about Henry and Joyce's divorce?
4. What does Henry drink with dinner in Chapter 4?
5. What kinds of health tests does Henry take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens before Henry decides to write the novel?
2. What is in the Notice of Decision in Chapters 5-6?
3. How does the author describe Fay?
4. Who is Robby?
5. What happens to Betty in Chapter 3?
6. How does Henry's living situation change when the track moves 100 miles south?
7. Describe the character of Vi.
8. Describe how Henry meets Mary Lou.
9. Why does Henry receive a letter of warning from the post office?
10. Why does Henry get angry with Fay in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, what does Joyce's puppy Picasso symbolize? Be sure to define symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship like between Henry and The Stone? Does this ever change? If so, how and why?
Essay Topic 3
How big of a role does Henry's desire to get away from Joyce play in his decision to go back to work for the postal service? Analyze what other factors prompt the decision.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)