|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who writes to Henry from Texas?
2. What is the name of the person Betty talks about drinking with in Chapter 3?
3. What is the letter of warning referring to?
4. Who does Henry challenge to a fight in Chapter 3?
5. After his binge in the last half of the novel, what does Henry do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry say to Betty when he finds her drunk in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Henry go to the racetrack in Chapter 3?
3. What happens at Christmas in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Henry need time off of work in Chapter 4?
5. What is in the Notice of Decision in Chapters 5-6?
6. How does the author describe Fay?
7. What happens when Henry runs into Tom Moto?
8. Explain how Henry sets fire to the post office.
9. Who is Marina Louise Chinaski?
10. Why does Henry get angry with Fay in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How big of a role does Henry's desire to get away from Joyce play in his decision to go back to work for the postal service? Analyze what other factors prompt the decision.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing Henry and Janko's relationship and why Henry finds him so annoying.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between Henry and his wife Betty. How do they bring out the worst in each other?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)