|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Henry get to work as postal carrier, as described in Chapter 1?
2. What time in the morning does Henry usually sit waiting to see if he can work?
3. What is The Stone's real name?
4. How does Henry defend himself against a German shepherd one day on his route?
5. How many years has Matthew Battles been a carrier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Stone's reaction to Henry's clawed up face after the registered letter incident?
2. How does the author describe Joyce?
3. Why does the midget take Henry and drive him around town?
4. What kind of job does Henry get hired for with the postal service, and where is he first assigned?
5. What does Henry do when he has a handful of mail addressed to a church with no mailbox?
6. Why does Henry decide to go to work for the postal service?
7. How does the woman who has the registered letter on Route 511 respond to Henry, and what does this lead to him doing in response?
8. What happens with Henry and the buffalo?
9. Where do Joyce and Henry get their money in her hometown?
10. How does Henry meet Joyce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the way Henry takes advantage of other people with how Vi tries to take advantage of Henry. What are the differences/similarities in the way they treat their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
How does sex play an major role in Chapter 3? What is Henry more addicted to, sex or alcohol?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the faults of Henry -- lack of ambition, addictions, etc. -- affect his work ethic.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)