|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the post office issue him when Henry is first hired?
2. In Chapter 2, what does Betty get a job doing?
3. How does the author describe Matthew Battles's attire?
4. How many years has Matthew Battles been a carrier?
5. What happens to Battles in Chapter 1 that depresses a supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joyce's father hate Henry?
2. What is The Stone's reaction to Henry's clawed up face after the registered letter incident?
3. How does the author explain why Henry's own clothes are shabby?
4. Why does Henry decide to go to work for the postal service?
5. Why does the midget take Henry and drive him around town?
6. What does Henry do when he has a handful of mail addressed to a church with no mailbox?
7. How does Route 511 compare to other routes?
8. What steps did it take for Henry to get hired at the post office, and how does he do?
9. How does giving out candy to children on his route get G.G. in trouble?
10. How does the woman who has the registered letter on Route 511 respond to Henry, and what does this lead to him doing in response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is The Stone an archetypal villain? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does sex play an major role in Chapter 3? What is Henry more addicted to, sex or alcohol?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing Henry and Janko's relationship and why Henry finds him so annoying.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)