|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the 100-degree day that upsets Henry in Chapter 1?
2. Who did the money belong to that was stolen from the mail in Chapter 1?
3. What is intriguing about one of Henry's customers while he works at the Prell Station?
4. What kind of sack does Henry Chinaski find himself wearing in the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. Who convinces Henry Chinaski that anyone can be hired as a postal clerk during Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the over-reaction Henry has to one of the women on Route 511 in Chapter 1, parts 12-17.
2. Who is Gramps Wally?
3. What happens when The Stone assigns all subs except Henry?
4. Why does delivering a registered letter on Route 511 go bad for Henry?
5. How does giving out candy to children on his route get G.G. in trouble?
6. Why does Henry decide to go to work for the postal service?
7. Where do Joyce and Henry get their money in her hometown?
8. How does the woman who has the registered letter on Route 511 respond to Henry, and what does this lead to him doing in response?
9. What steps did it take for Henry to get hired at the post office, and how does he do?
10. What happens with Henry and the buffalo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, what does Joyce's puppy Picasso symbolize? Be sure to define symbolism.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Henry's tongue-in-cheek attitude towards religion. Be sure to give examples from Chapter 1.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the faults of Henry -- lack of ambition, addictions, etc. -- affect his work ethic.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)