|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry buy half a pint of for breakfast in Chapter 1?
(b) Grand dad.
2. Who is Matthew Battles a favorite of?
(a) Henry's wife.
(b) The Stone.
(c) The lingerie woman.
3. What makes Henry start to lose money at the racetrack?
(a) Keeping other men away from the Texan.
(b) The super.
(c) The Texan trying to distract him.
(d) Betty and her new boyfriend.
4. What kind of sack does Henry Chinaski find himself wearing in the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. How many years has Matthew Battles been a carrier?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets angry in Chapter 2 when Henry winks at him?
2. What does "soup" stand for in this book?
3. Which relative of Joyce's does Henry think is cool?
4. What does Henry tell the woman who is the recipient of the registered letter in Chapter 1?
5. How old is the Texan woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe Joyce's hometown?
2. How does the author explain why Henry's own clothes are shabby?
3. Why does Joyce's father hate Henry?
4. What does Jonstone do that causes Henry to file a report against him?
5. What kind of job does Henry get hired for with the postal service, and where is he first assigned?
6. What does the job a "soup" entail as described in the book?
7. What happens when Joyce wants to divorce Henry?
8. Describe the over-reaction Henry has to one of the women on Route 511 in Chapter 1, parts 12-17.
9. Describe Henry's job on Route 539.
10. What steps did it take for Henry to get hired at the post office, and how does he do?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)