|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the accusation against G.G. involve?
(a) A new girl in the neighborhood on his route.
(b) A widow on his route.
(c) A man on his route.
(d) A mother on his route.
2. What does the post office issue him when Henry is first hired?
(a) A leather sack.
(b) A uniform and a cap.
(c) A cap but no uniform.
(d) A uniform but no cap.
3. What time in the morning does Henry usually sit waiting to see if he can work?
(a) 5 a.m. to 7 a.m.
(b) 3 to 5 a.m.
(c) 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.
(d) 7 to 8 p.m.
4. In the beginning of Chapter 2, what time does Henry get up?
(a) 8 a.m.
(b) 7 a.m.
(c) 6 a.m.
(d) 10:30 a.m.
5. How much does Henry make a day at the racetrack?
(a) $20 to $30.
(c) $15 to $40.
(d) $5 to $10.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry like this one relative of Joyce's?
2. When Betty gets upset with Henry in Chapter 2, what does Henry remind Betty about?
3. What kind of sack does Henry Chinaski find himself wearing in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. What does Henry buy half a pint of for breakfast in Chapter 1?
5. Why is the route Henry draws after Prell Station one of the toughest routes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Route 511 compare to other routes?
2. Why do Betty and Henry break up?
3. What kind of job does Henry get hired for with the postal service, and where is he first assigned?
4. What happens when The Stone assigns all subs except Henry?
5. What happens when Joyce wants to divorce Henry?
6. How does giving out candy to children on his route get G.G. in trouble?
7. What happens with Henry and the buffalo?
8. Why does Joyce's father hate Henry?
9. How does the author describe the character of Matthew Battles?
10. Describe the over-reaction Henry has to one of the women on Route 511 in Chapter 1, parts 12-17.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)