|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on the 100-degree day that upsets Henry in Chapter 1?
(a) Another dog attacks him.
(b) A woman demands he return a piece of mail that is not hers.
(c) People are swimming in their pools.
(d) A woman rambles on and on.
2. Whose hometown is picked by experts as the least likely to be hit with an atomic bomb?
(b) The Super's.
3. Who gets angry in Chapter 2 when Henry winks at him?
(b) Joyce's grandfather.
(c) Joyce's father.
(d) Joyce's brother.
4. In Chapter 1, which route is described as "an average residential neighborhood with nice weather, no dogs, and no human voices for hours"?
(a) Route 600.
(b) Route 511.
(c) Route 539.
(d) Route 545.
5. What does Henry Chinaski think of the job when he is hired as a postal clerk temp in the very beginning of the book?
(b) Too simple.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry is on Route 539, how late is he because of the German Shepherd attack?
2. When Betty gets upset with Henry in Chapter 2, what does Henry remind Betty about?
3. What kind of sack does Henry Chinaski find himself wearing in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. When Henry is almost attacked by the German shepherd in Chapter 1, where is the German shepherd trying to bite him?
5. Why does Henry like this one relative of Joyce's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the job a "soup" entail as described in the book?
2. How does the woman who has the registered letter on Route 511 respond to Henry, and what does this lead to him doing in response?
3. Describe the character of G.G.
4. What is the response to the 30-page report Henry files against Jonstone?
5. Why does Henry decide to go to work for the postal service?
6. Describe Jonstone.
7. What happens when The Stone assigns all subs except Henry?
8. What happens with Henry and the buffalo?
9. What happens when Joyce wants to divorce Henry?
10. Why do Betty and Henry break up?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)