|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Captain Aubrey's life is damaged by his constant visits to Diana?
2. What area of the H.M.S. Lively does Doctor Maturin tour?
3. Whom does Smithers replace on board the Polychrest?
4. Who is the subject of the wisecracks that Smithers shares with Doctor Maturin?
5. The term "Post Captain" perhaps originated from the captains assigned a vessel having been _____________________________:
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Smithers and Maturin even the score with one another?
2. What is Doctor Maturin's motive in encouraging Sophia to be more forward with Captain Aubrey?
3. How do Aubrey's visits with Diana affect his friendship with Maturin?
4. What are the differences in the handling of disciplinary matters aboard the H.M.S. Lively, compared to those aboard the Polychrest?
5. What are some of the ways that Post Captain Aubrey shows his belief that he and members of his squadron will be able to keep any treasure that they reap from the Spanish treasure ships?
6. Why does Maturin attempt to camouflage his trip to Spain with a trip to Ireland?
7. How does Post Captain Aubrey manage to get the government to finance the practicing of great guns aboard the H.M.S. Lively?
8. What is the underlying reason why Aubrey turns his attention away from Sophia and begins pursuing Diana?
9. How does Captain Aubrey demonstrate being a true friend to Dr. Maturin despite any differences that he and Doctor Maturin may have had in the past?
10. How does Maturin cope with his break with Aubrey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the severe hardship that Aubrey's crew has had to endure from Parker because Aubrey repeatedly makes choices placing the working sailors directly in the line of fire of his tyrannical first lieutenant, they remain loyal to Aubrey. Detail the instances in which Aubrey makes decisions that result in the crew's exposure to abuse by Parker. Is the crew is correct in remaining silent, or should they be more assertive and make their sentiments known to their captain.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining what traits Diana Villiers possesses that make her irresistibly attractive to both Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin? What is her purpose in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Diana Villiers is wooed by Aubrey and Maturin throughout Post Captain, but she is able to remain eludes both throughout the book. Describe how she is able to maintain her unwedded status, and state why either or neither man is likely to capture Diana's heart.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)