|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Admiralty order the Polychrest to do upon reaching a particular French port?
2. How much of a full crew is Captain Aubrey missing with only thirty-three crewmen aboard the Polychrest?
3. Which is the best way to label the crew aboard Aubrey's new sea command?
4. Which navy used the archaic term Post Captain to distinguish an actual rank from an acting position?
5. Who shares an interest in obscure scientific theories with Doctor Maturin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of the prolonged engagement between the Bellone and the Polychrest?
2. How do Smithers and Maturin even the score with one another?
3. How does Captain Aubrey inspire Doctor Maturin to want to learn to swim?
4. How is Captain Aubrey lauded for his actions and capture of the Fanciulla upon his return to England?
5. Since Captain Aubrey is able to reach a romantic understanding with Sophia during their trip aboard the H.M.S. Lively, is it feasible for the Captain to continue trying to attain wealth to gain approval from Mrs. Williams?
6. How do Aubrey's visits with Diana affect his friendship with Maturin?
7. How does Doctor Maturin continue to agonize over Diana?
8. How do Aubrey and Maturin differ on their opinions about the usefulness and feasibility of having bees on board the H.M.S. Lively?
9. How does Captain Aubrey demonstrate being a true friend to Dr. Maturin despite any differences that he and Doctor Maturin may have had in the past?
10. What are some of the ways that Post Captain Aubrey shows his belief that he and members of his squadron will be able to keep any treasure that they reap from the Spanish treasure ships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within a day's time, Captain Jack Aubrey transforms from the life of a wealthy gentleman of means to living the life of a penniless bum. Do you agree or disagree that a transformation of that type could take place within such an abbreviated period of time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A dramatic change takes place in Aubrey's lifestyle and environment upon his promotion to post captain and being given command of the H.M.S. Lively. Compare Aubrey's lifestyle and environment as a captain with that of post captain.
Essay Topic 3
Despite the severe hardship that Aubrey's crew has had to endure from Parker because Aubrey repeatedly makes choices placing the working sailors directly in the line of fire of his tyrannical first lieutenant, they remain loyal to Aubrey. Detail the instances in which Aubrey makes decisions that result in the crew's exposure to abuse by Parker. Is the crew is correct in remaining silent, or should they be more assertive and make their sentiments known to their captain.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)