|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Maturin believe to be suitable for Aubrey?
2. Who is inspired to learn to swim after Aubrey's heroic rescue?
3. Which navy used the archaic term Post Captain to distinguish an actual rank from an acting position?
4. What is the name of the Spanish ship that literally explodes into fragments toward the end of Post Captain?
5. Which is the best way to label the crew aboard Aubrey's new sea command?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maturin attempt to camouflage his trip to Spain with a trip to Ireland?
2. How does Captain Aubrey inspire Doctor Maturin to want to learn to swim?
3. How does Aubrey show compassion and remorse regarding his previous dealings with Sophia?
4. How do Goodridge, Parker, and Aubrey solve the Polychrest's speed and maneuverability problems?
5. How does Captain Aubrey demonstrate being a true friend to Dr. Maturin despite any differences that he and Doctor Maturin may have had in the past?
6. How do Smithers and Maturin even the score with one another?
7. How do Aubrey and Maturin differ on their opinions about the usefulness and feasibility of having bees on board the H.M.S. Lively?
8. How do the officers and crew on the H.M.S. Lively differ from the officers and crew on the Polychrest?
9. Since Captain Aubrey is able to reach a romantic understanding with Sophia during their trip aboard the H.M.S. Lively, is it feasible for the Captain to continue trying to attain wealth to gain approval from Mrs. Williams?
10. How is Captain Aubrey able to abort a nascent mutiny aboard the Polychrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the severe hardship that Aubrey's crew has had to endure from Parker because Aubrey repeatedly makes choices placing the working sailors directly in the line of fire of his tyrannical first lieutenant, they remain loyal to Aubrey. Detail the instances in which Aubrey makes decisions that result in the crew's exposure to abuse by Parker. Is the crew is correct in remaining silent, or should they be more assertive and make their sentiments known to their captain.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin survives despite Aubrey having to tolerate some of Maturin's idiosyncrasies. The captain also enjoys pleasant and quality time with Maturin. Write an essay comparing the amount of pleasant and quality time that the captain spends with the doctor with the amount of time that he spends exercising tolerance toward the doctor's antics. Opine whether or not maintaining the friendship is beneficial to the captain. Support your position with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A dramatic change takes place in Aubrey's lifestyle and environment upon his promotion to post captain and being given command of the H.M.S. Lively. Compare Aubrey's lifestyle and environment as a captain with that of post captain.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)