|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Aubrey's steward foodstuffs to take on board the Polychrest.
2. What entity does Post Captain Aubrey want to be responsible for replenishing any gun powder and shot used aboard the H.M.S. Lively?
3. How many rescues has Captain Aubrey successfully conducted?
4. What subject matter do Diane and Sophia argue about that results in Diana moving away from Mapes Court?
5. How can the Polychrest's entry into the harbor of its French port destination be accurately described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways that Post Captain Aubrey shows his belief that he and members of his squadron will be able to keep any treasure that they reap from the Spanish treasure ships?
2. How does Post Captain Aubrey manage to get the government to finance the practicing of great guns aboard the H.M.S. Lively?
3. How do Goodridge, Parker, and Aubrey solve the Polychrest's speed and maneuverability problems?
4. What makes it difficult for the Polychrest to enter the French port where the target ship is located?
5. Since Captain Aubrey is able to reach a romantic understanding with Sophia during their trip aboard the H.M.S. Lively, is it feasible for the Captain to continue trying to attain wealth to gain approval from Mrs. Williams?
6. What is the Polychrest's ultimate fate?
7. How does Aubrey show compassion and remorse regarding his previous dealings with Sophia?
8. How do Captain Aubrey and his crew manage to free the Polychrest after it runs aground?
9. How is Captain Aubrey able to abort a nascent mutiny aboard the Polychrest?
10. How does the Aubrey display his happiness in being promoted to Post Captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Captain Jack Aubrey is chased by debt collectors throughout the book, but is never caught and never pays back his debtors. Write an essay describing the elements and circumstances that he uses to remain elusive throughout, and state whether or not his debt-collector-dodging tactics diminishes his position as role model and leader.
Essay Topic 2
The placement of Captain Aubrey and Adam Scriven outside Lady Keith's house following her party is a good example of the literary technique known as simile. Explain. If you disagree and believe that antithesis is more prevalent than simile in this scene, explain this position.
Essay Topic 3
The novel shifts between periods of war and peace. Write an essay focusing on whether you feel that peace or war is more prevalent throughout Post Captain.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)