|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of a full crew is Captain Aubrey missing with only thirty-three crewmen aboard the Polychrest?
2. Who does Diana Villiers run off with, much to Doctor Maturin's dismay?
3. Which word below is synonymous with punctilious?
4. What does Doctor Maturin win from Smithers?
5. What type of ships do Captain Aubrey and the Polychrest encounter in as they began to leave the French port?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doctor Maturin demonstrate his desire to continue cultivating his friendship with Captain Aubrey despite any differences that the two men may have had in the past?
2. How do Goodridge, Parker, and Aubrey solve the Polychrest's speed and maneuverability problems?
3. Since Captain Aubrey is able to reach a romantic understanding with Sophia during their trip aboard the H.M.S. Lively, is it feasible for the Captain to continue trying to attain wealth to gain approval from Mrs. Williams?
4. What is Doctor Maturin's motive in encouraging Sophia to be more forward with Captain Aubrey?
5. How is Captain Aubrey lauded for his actions and capture of the Fanciulla upon his return to England?
6. What are the differences in the handling of disciplinary matters aboard the H.M.S. Lively, compared to those aboard the Polychrest?
7. How does Captain Aubrey demonstrate being a true friend to Dr. Maturin despite any differences that he and Doctor Maturin may have had in the past?
8. What are some of the ways that Post Captain Aubrey shows his belief that he and members of his squadron will be able to keep any treasure that they reap from the Spanish treasure ships?
9. How do the officers and crew on the H.M.S. Lively differ from the officers and crew on the Polychrest?
10. How does Aubrey show compassion and remorse regarding his previous dealings with Sophia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite the severe hardship that Aubrey's crew has had to endure from Parker because Aubrey repeatedly makes choices placing the working sailors directly in the line of fire of his tyrannical first lieutenant, they remain loyal to Aubrey. Detail the instances in which Aubrey makes decisions that result in the crew's exposure to abuse by Parker. Is the crew is correct in remaining silent, or should they be more assertive and make their sentiments known to their captain.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Williams is constantly measuring the financial worthiness of prospective suitors for the hand of her daughter, Sophia. In contrast, Sophia is constantly measuring the level of genuine devotion and affection that Captain Aubrey harbors toward her. Whose relationship philosophy is best illustrated in the union that takes place between Aubrey and Sophia? Is it that of Mrs. Williams, or of Sophia? Support your position with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Within a day's time, Captain Jack Aubrey transforms from the life of a wealthy gentleman of means to living the life of a penniless bum. Do you agree or disagree that a transformation of that type could take place within such an abbreviated period of time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)