|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of relationship is shared between Captain Jack Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin?
2. Which character tells Dr. Maturin that between him and Captain Aubrey, the captain is considered to be
(a) Frances Williams.
(b) Sophia Williams.
(c) Mrs. Williams.
(d) Diana Villiers.
3. Who does Mrs. Williams declare to be a perfect match for Captain Aubrey?
(b) Her daughter, Sophia.
(c) Her daughter, Frances.
(d) Her niece, Victoria
4. What position is Pullings promoted to aboard the Polychrest pursuant to Aubrey's advice?
(b) First lieutenant.
(c) Second lieutenant.
(d) First assistant captain.
5. Who is the French military and political leader who declares war on England?
(a) Jean Lafitte.
(b) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(c) Charles DeGaulle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mapes Court located in relation to the gentleman's residence that Captain Aubrey has rented?
2. What country are Aubrey and Maturin headed to via the Indiaman that they board in Gibraltar?
3. Richard Canning is a merchant from ______________.
4. During the series of social gatherings described in Chapter 2, who gains Captain Jack Aubrey's attention more openly and honestly?
5. What is it that Captain Aubrey is threatened with that persuades him to leave England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are traits that Aubrey and Maturin admire in Diana?
2. What are some of the instances in which Aubrey openly tries to avoid debt collectors in Chapter 6?
3. How do the eligible bachelors from Polcary Downs socialize with the eligible women next door at Mapes Court?
4. How do Aubrey and Maturin react to one another's romantic interest in Diana?
5. What does Diana Villiers have in common with her three cousins, the Williams sisters?
6. What do Aubrey and Maturin engage in with their host, French Captain Christy-Palliere during their first few days in Toulon?
7. How does Adam Scriven help Aubrey cope with his fear of being confined to debtor's prison?
8. How do Sophia and Diana defy their respective personality traits and demeanors in their pursuit of Captain Aubrey?
9. What are some of the actions and activities that Aubrey engages in upon his return to England with Maturin demonstrate his wealth?
10. How does Doctor Maturin's unrequited love for Diana affect him?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)