|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position is held by MacDonald aboard the Polychrest?
(a) Head boatswain.
(b) Chief navigator.
(c) Second lieutenant.
(d) Marine captain.
2. Who is Dr. Stephen Maturin is apparently attracted to throughout Post Captain?
(a) Heidi Burkhart.
(b) Frances Williams.
(c) Mrs. Williams.
(d) Diana Villiers.
3. What group of people are converted into crew members for the Polychrest?
(a) Unemployed sailors.
(b) Imprisoned Frenchmen.
(c) Kitchen crew.
(d) Debt colllectors.
4. Who helps Captain Aubrey recruit sailors by drawing a poster promising rewards to those who sign up to crew the Polychrest?
5. Aside from Aubrey and Maturin, two other passengers are aboard the Indiaman headed for England. How are they described?
(a) A father and son.
(b) Two male passengers.
(c) Two female passengers.
(d) A grandmother and grandson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Williams declare to be a perfect match for Captain Aubrey?
2. What is the name of the Indiaman that Aubrey and Maturin board in Gibraltar?
3. Following the first in a series of dinner parties, which character contacts Captain Jack Aubrey to establish courteous relations?
4. Who does Aubrey yell profane orders to believing to be the ship's boy?
5. What position is Pullings promoted to aboard the Polychrest pursuant to Aubrey's advice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin lend their support to England in its war against France?
2. Why is the Polychrest is appropriately nicknamed "the Carpenter's Mistake"?
3. Why does Captain Aubrey feel compelled to warn Doctor Maturin about the highwaymen?
4. How do Diana and Sophia differ in demeanor and personality?
5. How does Captain Aubrey turn the sources of negativity at Pullings's celebratory dinner into positive ones?
6. How are Bellone's men able to board the Indiaman Lord Nelson during the naval engagement?
7. What prevents Captain Aubrey from returning to the Admiralty in time for assignment to a prime sea command?
8. What are traits that Aubrey and Maturin admire in Diana?
9. What events act as catalysts to drive Captain Aubrey away from England and toward France?
10. What are some of the actions and activities that Aubrey engages in upon his return to England with Maturin demonstrate his wealth?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)