|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Diana Villier's marital status in Post Captain?
2. As Chapter 1 opens, what two countries have just ended a war between them?
(a) France and England.
(b) Germany and Italy.
(c) The United States and England.
(d) Spain and France.
3. Following the war, what becomes Captain Aubrey's employment status as he is cast ashore in England?
(a) His job status does not change.
(b) Post captain.
4. Who intervenes when Captain Aubrey intends to turn Adam Scriven in to the law?
(a) Midshipman Babbington.
(b) Ship Master Goodridge,
(c) First Lieutenant Parker.
(d) Doctor Stephen Maturin.
5. What type of route does French Captain Christy-Palliere suggest that Aubrey and Maturin take to Spain?
(a) A direct route.
(b) A route extending through French ports.
(c) Through Paris and Nice.
(d) Through French countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is close to Toulon, France?
2. Who is Dr. Stephen Maturin is apparently attracted to throughout Post Captain?
3. Aside from Aubrey and Maturin, two other passengers are aboard the Indiaman headed for England. How are they described?
4. Who is the French military and political leader who declares war on England?
5. What was the name of French Captain Christy-Palliere's ship that captured Captain Aubrey's first sea command?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Pullings instrumental in helping Captain Aubrey recruit crew members for the Polychrest?
2. How do Diana and Sophia differ in demeanor and personality?
3. What do Aubrey and Maturin agree about in relation to the behavior of First Lieutenant Parker?
4. Why does Captain Aubrey feel compelled to warn Doctor Maturin about the highwaymen?
5. How do Aubrey and Maturin react to one another's romantic interest in Diana?
6. What makes Captain Griffiths waver in his determination to press home an attack against the French frigate that the Charwell has been chasing throughout the night?
7. What type of experiences has Diana Villiers had in contrast to those of her cousins, the Williams sisters?
8. How do Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin lend their support to England in its war against France?
9. Why does Aubrey want the Indiaman Lord Nelson captured by vessels such as an English cutter or the H.M.S. Seagull?
10. How do Sophia and Diana defy their respective personality traits and demeanors in their pursuit of Captain Aubrey?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)