|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is intelligent, demure, and eminently proper?
(a) Diana Villiers.
(b) Mrs. Williams.
(c) Frances Williams.
(d) Sophia Williams.
2. Where do Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin flee to from England?.
(a) Madrid, Spain.
(b) Salzburg, Austria.
(c) Hamburg, Germany.
(d) Toulon, France.
3. What is it that Captain Aubrey is threatened with that persuades him to leave England?
4. As Chapter 1 opens, what two countries have just ended a war between them?
(a) Spain and France.
(b) The United States and England.
(c) France and England.
(d) Germany and Italy.
5. How many pounds of body weight does Captain Aubrey lose during the arduous journey across France on foot?
(a) 20 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 50 pounds.
(d) 15 pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Captain Aubrey recruit sailors by drawing a poster promising rewards to those who sign up to crew the Polychrest?
2. What official at the Admiralty does Captain Aubrey meet with to discuss obtaining a sea command?
3. Aboard the Polychrest, Captain Aubrey curses a young lady whom he mistakes for a ______________.
4. What does Captain Aubrey consider buying, but is not quite sure of its tone?
5. Who is Captain Aubrey's ship master aboard the Polychrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the instances in which Aubrey openly tries to avoid debt collectors in Chapter 6?
2. How do Sophia and Diana defy their respective personality traits and demeanors in their pursuit of Captain Aubrey?
3. What types of discomfort does Maturin have to endure while walking to Spain with Aubrey?
4. How do Aubrey and Maturin react to one another's romantic interest in Diana?
5. Can the route to Spain suggested to Aubrey and Maturin by Christy-Palliere be considered safe or dangerous?
6. How is Pullings instrumental in helping Captain Aubrey recruit crew members for the Polychrest?
7. What are traits that Aubrey and Maturin admire in Diana?
8. How do Diana and Sophia differ in demeanor and personality?
9. What has French military leader and politician Napoleon Bonaparte ordered in relation to England and her countrymen?
10. What does the admiral visiting Mapes Court tell Mrs. Williams about Captain Jack Aubrey?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)