|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is saved by Captain Aubrey after falling off the Polychrest's rigging?
2. Upon her departure from Mapes Court, what relative with mental deficiencies does Diana Villiers stay with?
3. Who is injured aboard the Polychrest at the same time that Aubrey is injured?
4. Who follows Aubrey aboard his new sea command?
5. Post Captain Aubrey is lectured by Doctor Maturin about the manifest intelligence of _____________.
6. What does Maturin discover upon arriving at Diana's cousin's house?
(a) The house is occupied by a widow with four children.
(b) Diana is no longer staying there.
(c) The house has been condemned.
(d) The house has been shut .
7. What aspect of Captain Aubrey's life is damaged by his constant visits to Diana?
(a) Friendship with Goodridge.
(b) Friendship with Pullings.
(c) Professional career.
(d) Friendship with Sophia.
8. What subject do Post Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin briefly discuss while on board the H.M.S. Lively?
(a) Mrs. Williams.
(b) First Lieutenant Parker.
(d) The H.M.S. Crew.
9. What is the name of the suitor whom Mrs. Williams has arranged for her daughter, Sophia?
10. How many days does Doctor Maturin's foreign intelligence trip last?
11. What is Polychrest's condition as Captain Aubrey and his crew leave the French port and head toward the open sea?
(a) Sluggish and full of water.
(b) Renovated and freshly-painted.
(c) Slightly damaged and maneuverable.
(d) Fully rigged and ready for the open sea.
12. What entity does Post Captain Aubrey want to be responsible for replenishing any gun powder and shot used aboard the H.M.S. Lively?
(a) The British government.
(b) Richard Canning.
(c) Supporters of the War.
(d) The French government.
13. Who does Doctor Maturin recommend be dispatched to intercept the Spanish treasure ships carrying the gold bound for Cadiz?
(a) Captain Aubrey.
(b) Marine Captain MacDonald.
(c) First Lieutenant Parker.
(d) Sea Master Goodridge.
14. What does the Admiralty order the Polychrest to do upon reaching a particular French port?
(a) Deliver French prisoners who have been held captive in England and Pick up some British prisoners who have been held in France.
(b) Pick up rations for the sailors and medicine for the infirmary aboard the Polychrest.
(c) Attack the port and destroy a particular ship.
(d) Deliver wheat to the French and pick up fine fabrics for new uniforms for the Admiralty.
15. What occurs between Captain Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin as they leave the French port and head back to England?
(a) They agree to engage in a duel over Diana upon their return to England.
(b) They remain at odds with one another.
(c) They re-establish their friendship.
(d) They plot to confront Diana about the true nature of her association with Richard Canning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doctor Maturin win from Smithers?
2. Which country is Doctor Maturin's destination for gathering intelligence for the Admiralty?
3. What is the reason that First Lieutenant Parker is disliked by the crew of the Polychrest?
4. What type of ships do Captain Aubrey and the Polychrest encounter in as they began to leave the French port?
5. Who informs Captain Aubrey that mutiny may be imminent aboard the Polychrest?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)