|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of vessel is the Fanciulla?
(a) A working boat.
(b) A pontoon.
(c) A sloop.
(d) A dinghy.
2. The Polychrest ends its voyage to the French port by___________________.
(b) Engaging in battle against the French.
(c) Serving as setting for a celebratory dinner party for the crew.
(d) Being inspected by Admiralty officers.
3. Who is Doctor Maturin in love with throughout Post Captain?
(a) Diana Villiers.
(b) Alexa Cambridge.
(c) Sophia Williams.
(d) Lady Keith.
4. Who is injured aboard the Polychrest at the same time that Aubrey is injured?
5. In Chapter 9, what improvement is Captain Aubrey pleased about in relation to the Polychrest's new rigging?
6. What area of the H.M.S. Lively does Doctor Maturin tour?
(a) The sickbay.
(b) The galley.
(c) The fo'c'sel.
(d) The powder room.
7. At the end of Chapter 9, which ship runs aground?
(a) S.S. Colinot.
(d) S.S. Seagull.
8. What is the reason that First Lieutenant Parker is disliked by the crew of the Polychrest?
(a) His lack of personal hygiene.
(b) His vanity.
(c) The harsh manner in which he mistreats the working sailors.
(d) His greediness.
9. What dots the scenery along the French coast?
(a) Chateaus and schoolhouses.
(b) Fortresses and observation towers.
(c) Farms and wineries.
(d) Chateaus and churches.
10. Who is inspired to learn to swim after Aubrey's heroic rescue?
11. Aubrey's sea command transports an officer's ______________ on one voyage.
12. Which navy used the archaic term Post Captain to distinguish an actual rank from an acting position?
(a) United States.
13. Who does Aubrey entertain aboard ship in grand style?
14. What does Doctor Maturin win from Smithers?
(a) His two black stallions.
(b) Over a year's wages.
(c) Thirty silver coins.
(d) Fifty gold coins.
15. Where does Doctor Maturin unexpectedly spot Diana and her beau?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship that is instrumental in pulling the Polychrest out of a sandbank after it runs aground?
2. How much of a full crew is Captain Aubrey missing with only thirty-three crewmen aboard the Polychrest?
3. Who does Doctor Maturin recommend be dispatched to intercept the Spanish treasure ships carrying the gold bound for Cadiz?
4. Who escorts Sophia and Cecelia Williams to the H.M.S. Lively where they request transportation?
5. What entity does Post Captain Aubrey want to be responsible for replenishing any gun powder and shot used aboard the H.M.S. Lively?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)