|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fact about the Polychrest leads Captain Aubrey and two of his officers to re-design the ship's rigging?
(a) The Polychrest is visible to the enemy.
(b) The Polychrest is unpredictable.
(c) The Polychrest is shorthanded.
(d) The Polychrest is slow.
2. In Chapter 9, which of the ships listed below is involved in a fierce naval engagement with the Polychrest?
(b) L'Brigade du France.
(c) S.S. Colinot.
(d) S.S. Seagull.
3. What subject do Post Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin briefly discuss while on board the H.M.S. Lively?
(b) Mrs. Williams.
(c) First Lieutenant Parker.
(d) The H.M.S. Crew.
4. What type of subject matter do Maturin and MacDonald like to discuss?
5. What is the name of the suitor whom Mrs. Williams has arranged for her daughter, Sophia?
6. What does Post Captain Aubrey cause the crew aboard the H.M.S. Lively to exercise?
(a) Sail hoisting drill.
(b) Man overboard drill.
(c) Great guns drill.
(d) Firefighting evacuation drill.
7. Who gives Aubrey the good news that he is being made Post Captain?
(a) Admiral Harte.
(b) Lord Melville.
(c) Sir Joseph.
(d) Admiral Haddock.
8. In Chapter 9, what improvement is Captain Aubrey pleased about in relation to the Polychrest's new rigging?
9. Who does Aubrey entertain aboard ship in grand style?
10. Who is inspired to learn to swim after Aubrey's heroic rescue?
11. At the end of Chapter 9, which ship runs aground?
(a) S.S. Seagull.
(c) S.S. Colinot.
12. Who is Preserved Killick?
(a) Aubrey's steward.
(b) A local taxidermist
(c) Maturin's cousin.
(d) Doctor Maturin's assistant.
13. Who serves as Captain Aubrey's navigator as the Polychrest heads into the French port?
(a) Ship Master Goodridge.
(b) Crewman Stephen Steer.
(c) Doctor Stephen Maturin.
(d) First Lieutenant Parker.
14. What type of flotilla was the H.M.S. Lively ordered to escort?
(a) Passenger transport ships.
(b) Troop transport ships.
(c) Supplies transport.
(d) Animal transport.
15. Which country is Doctor Maturin's destination for gathering intelligence for the Admiralty?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is saved by Captain Aubrey after falling off the Polychrest's rigging?
2. Aubrey's sea command transports an officer's ______________ on one voyage.
3. How can the Polychrest's entry into the harbor of its French port destination be accurately described?
4. Whose perfume does Maturin smell on Aubrey upon the latter's return to the Polychrest?
5. Whom does Smithers replace on board the Polychrest?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)