|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter 1 opens, Captain Jack Aubrey holds what naval position?
(a) First lieutenant.
(b) Post captain.
(c) Master and commander.
2. Richard Canning is a merchant from ______________.
3. Who is Aubrey beginning a casual dalliance with at the same time that he is courting Sophia?
(a) Mrs. Williams.
(b) Cecelia Williams.
(c) Frances Williams.
(d) Diana Villiers.
4. What unusual object does Maturin find in his holsters?
(a) A locket.
(b) A love note from Diana.
(c) A wedding band.
(d) A teratoma.
5. Who hosts a dinner party at which Captain Aubrey is pursued for arrest?
(a) The Pullings Family.
(b) Clarice Brennan.
(c) The Waite Family.
(d) Lady Knowles.
6. What country are Aubrey and Maturin headed to via the Indiaman that they board in Gibraltar?
7. What language does Doctor Maturin use to write scientific observations in his diary?
8. What relation is Diana to Sophia?
9. What is the name of Captain Aubrey's old friend who is captain of The Franchise?
(a) Heneage Dundas.
(b) Theodore Martin.
(c) Keith Pridemore.
(d) Lawrence Tate.
10. Who is Dr. Stephen Maturin is apparently attracted to throughout Post Captain?
(a) Frances Williams.
(b) Heidi Burkhart.
(c) Diana Villiers.
(d) Mrs. Williams.
11. What is the name of the French privateer that closes in on the Indiaman that Aubrey and Maturin are passengers in?
(a) The Sea Master.
(b) The Bellone.
(c) Le Auchan.
(d) Le Antoinette.
12. What is the name of the vessel carrying Captain Jack Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin at the beginning of Post Captain?
(a) H.M.S. Hempstead.
(b) The Charwell.
(c) H.M.S. Royale.
(d) The Pennington.
13. Where is the gentleman's residence that Captain Jack Aubrey rents located?
(a) Lampkin Place.
(b) Polcary Down.
(c) Meredith Down.
(d) Victoria Down.
14. In Chapter 2, which character begins to subtly court Captain Jack Aubrey?
(a) Diana Villiers.
(b) Frances Williams.
(c) Cecelia Williams.
(d) Mrs. Williams.
15. Who does Captain Aubrey turn down an offer of a sea command from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the captainof the Indiaman that Aubrey and Maturin board in Gibraltar?
2. What natural marvel do the passengers aboard the Indiaman get to see as the ship is making its way to England?
3. What item does Diana ask Maturin to sell in order to buy cloth and threads to make herself a suitable dress for the formal ball?
4. What is Diana Villier's marital status in Post Captain?
5. What is the name of the first lieutenant on the Indiaman headed to England with Aubrey and Maturin aboard?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)