|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Captain Aubrey decline Diana Villier's invitation to meet on the day following Lady Keith's dinner party?
(a) The Admiralty has ordered him to leave the country on that same date.
(b) He is in love with Cecilia and does not want to hurt her feelings.
(c) He is afraid of being arrested for debt.
(d) He does not want to be seen in public with her.
2. What is the Polychrest armed with instead of long guns?
3. What country is close to Toulon, France?
4. What group of people are converted into crew members for the Polychrest?
(a) Unemployed sailors.
(b) Debt colllectors.
(c) Kitchen crew.
(d) Imprisoned Frenchmen.
5. What official at the Admiralty does Captain Aubrey meet with to discuss obtaining a sea command?
(a) Lord Melville.
(b) Captain Parker.
(c) Admiral Harte.
(d) Sir Joseph.
6. What other ship's traits are also featured on the Polychrest?
(a) S.S. Barrett.
(b) S.S. Triumph.
(c) H.M.S. Dart.
(d) H.M.S. Walden.
7. As the days go by, what game do Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin play often?
8. Why does Captain Aubrey want the Indiaman Lord Nelson captured by the British?
(a) So that he can be promoted to higher posts.
(b) So that he can practice navigating between England and France.
(c) So that he can return to England aboard it.
(d) To escape from the probability that Bonaparte's soldiers may find them and arrest them.
9. As Chapter 1 opens, what two countries have just ended a war between them?
(a) Spain and France.
(b) The United States and England.
(c) France and England.
(d) Germany and Italy.
10. Aside from being a surgeon, what type of work does Stephen Maturin also handle?
(a) Secret Agent.
11. Which character is intelligent, demure, and eminently proper?
(a) Diana Villiers.
(b) Mrs. Williams.
(c) Frances Williams.
(d) Sophia Williams.
12. What unusual object does Maturin find in his holsters?
(a) A teratoma.
(b) A wedding band.
(c) A love note from Diana.
(d) A locket.
13. Who do Captain Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin compare notes on, and secretly, mutually desire following the ball
(a) Mrs. Williams.
(b) Cecelia Williams.
(c) Frances Williams.
(d) Diana Villiers.
14. What item does Diana ask Maturin to sell in order to buy cloth and threads to make herself a suitable dress for the formal ball?
(a) Original painting.
(b) Gold watch.
(c) A jewel.
(d) Coin collection.
15. The fact that ships are being moored because of the peace, along with Captain Aubrey's clash with ______________, means that no command is to be had.
(a) Superior officers.
(b) Doctor Stephen Maturin.
(c) Diana Villiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, which character is described as vain, uneven, and prone to periods of meanness?
2. Who is the captainof the Indiaman that Aubrey and Maturin board in Gibraltar?
3. While ashore, what type of pay do naval officers like Aubrey receive?
4. What language does Doctor Maturin use to write scientific observations in his diary?
5. In Chapter 2, which character begins to subtly court Captain Jack Aubrey?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)