|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blackadder tell Fergus when Fergus asks where Roland is?
2. Who does the letter say that Christabel LaMotte visited in 1859?
3. What time do Cropper and Hildebrand leave for the cemetery?
4. Who does Cropper lunch with to acquire more of Ash's items, since the current Lord Ash does not particularly like Cropper?
5. What is Cropper's lecture about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Sabine's house when Christabel disappears?
2. How does Ellen Ash feel about Christabel?
3. What is the result of the knight drinking the cup offered to him by Melusine?
4. How does the subject of Christabel and Ash's letters come up at the race track?
5. How does Blackadder feel about talking about Ash on television?
6. What does Roland think about Blackadder's letter?
7. What do Leonora and Blackadder do when Cropper's Mercedes passes them on the road?
8. What is Ash's opinion on spiritualist mediums?
9. What is Maud and Roland's relationship in France like?
10. What does Maud tell Roland about other people's perceptions of what the two are doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) How does literature and poetry function as communication in the novel? How does a reader or scholar know that he or she is communicating with an author like Ash or LaMotte?
2) How do the characters communicate with each other? How do they often not communicate, and exist at cross-purposes with each other?
3) How does communication build knowledge in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Ash and LaMotte's relationship to Maud and Roland's.
1) How are the two couples' experiences in Yorkshire similar? How are they different? What does this show about the characters?
2) What allows Maud and Roland to come together in a relationship, while Ash and LaMotte's relationship can only be fleeting and secret?
3) What compels Ash and LaMotte together? What needs do they fulfill in each other? How does this compare to Maud and Roland, and the forces that compel them toward each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) Why and how does the novel use letters, excerpts of poems, and journal entries in its telling of the story?
2) How does the novel gradually reveal the story of Ash and Maud?
3) How do the characters of Roland and Maud change over the course of the novel?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)