|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maud think of Cropper's biography of Ash?
2. What does Roland accidentally see?
3. What does the librarian warn Roland to do?
4. What mood is Val in when Roland sees her?
5. How does Roland help Lady Joan Bailey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maud tell Beatrice about the importance of what she finds in Ellen's journal and papers?
2. What does Sir George plan to do at the end of the chapter?
3. Who is responsible for ending the affair between Christabel and Ash?
4. What is the weather like on Roland and Maud's day trip away from Ash and Christabel?
5. How does Roland compare Maud to Christabel?
6. Where did Maud get the pin that she is wearing in her turban?
7. How does Roland feel at the prospect of reading Christabel and Ash's letters?
8. What is Maud's dilemma about Leonora?
9. What does Ash ask for, in his letters to the unknown woman?
10. Why is Mrs. Wapshott unwilling to sell Ash's letters to Cropper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss point of view in the novel.
1) What different points of view does the novel use to present both modern and historical events? Why does the author present events from different perspectives? How does point of view affect the interpretation of events?
2) How do the characters', particularly Roland and Maud's, perspectives change over the course of the novel?
3) How are Ash and LaMotte's perspectives of themselves different from the perspectives of others, both in their own time and in the future?
Essay Topic 2
The novel deals with perceptions of women, and women's relationships with men. Discuss perceptions of women in the novel.
1) Why is Christabel unwilling to enter into a relationship with Ash? Why does she perceive a relationship with a man as infringing on her identity and independence?
2) How is Maud perceived as a woman, and how does this affect her life? How do women's appearances in the novel affect their relationships and identities?
3) How is Beatrice Nest perceived, and how are perceptions of her related to gender?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of possession in the novel.
1) What types of things do people try to possess? How do people possess knowledge and the past?
2) How do people possess each other in the novel?
3) How do people lose themselves to possessions in the novel?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)