|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have Maud and Roland given themselves to work?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) A month.
(d) Five days.
2. How did Ellen Ash feel about Christabel?
(a) She was a great poet who would not be recognized.
(b) She was a pompous woman who wrote bad poetry.
(c) She was a selfish woman who did not understand family.
(d) She was a fair poet, but with no outstanding talent.
3. What does Christabel compare herself to?
(a) A box.
(b) A doll.
(c) A tree.
(d) An egg.
4. What similarity do Roland and Maud find in writings by Ash and Christabel?
(a) Two three-line poems by the two poets that fit together.
(b) Two similar lines in Ask to Embla and Melusina.
(d) Two poems where each line starts with the same word.
5. What is Roland's job?
(a) Part-time research assistant.
(b) Full-time professor.
(c) Library assistant.
(d) Unemployed student.
6. When does Val cook complex meals?
(a) When she is sad and angry.
(b) When she is apathetic.
(c) When she is frustrated and bored.
(d) When she is very angry or very happy.
7. What kind of car does Cropper drive?
(a) A silver Volkswagen.
(b) A blue Maserati.
(c) A red Porsche.
(d) A black Mercedes.
8. What did Christabel LaMotte write?
(a) Intellectual novels and rigid poetry.
(b) Several romantic novels.
(c) Abstract poems with mysterious meanings.
(d) Religious poems, children's stories and an epic.
9. How old is Swammerdam in the poem?
(a) In his 20s and just beginning his adulthood.
(b) In his teens and anticipating the future.
(c) In his 80s but hanging on to life.
(d) In his 40s and close to his death.
10. What library is Roland in at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) London Library.
(b) New York Library.
(c) Paris Library.
(d) Dublin Library.
11. How does Christabel react to her feelings of love with Ash?
(a) With hatred toward herself for giving in to a man.
(b) With fear for the loss of her solitude.
(c) With ecstasy that she has finally found spiritual love.
(d) With anger that he is manipulating her.
12. What does Cropper do to the letters he is trying to buy from Daisy Wapshott?
(a) He memorizes them.
(b) He secretly writes an exact copy of them.
(c) He cuts off a piece of the paper to analyze.
(d) He secretly photographs them.
13. Whose writing is Fergus studying?
14. What is Maud's home like?
(a) Sterile and tidy.
(b) Old and decaying.
(c) Messy and noisy.
(d) Lively and changing.
15. Who does Roland live with?
(a) His parents.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) A group of graduate students.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the box Maud finds?
2. How old is Roland?
3. Where is the largest collection of Ash's books housed?
4. How does Roland begin his investigation of the letters?
5. To whom does Swammerdam compare himself?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)