|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sir George react to the discovery?
(a) He is excited and curious.
(b) He is cautious and possessive.
(c) He doesn't care about the discovery.
(d) He is worried and nervous.
2. Who do Joan and George Bailey invite to read the letters between Ash and Christabel?
(c) Maud and Roland.
3. What relation does Maud say she has to Christabel?
(a) Maud is no relation.
(b) Maud is her cousin's granddaughter.
(c) Maud is her great-great-great niece.
(d) Maud is her third cousin once removed.
4. What does Maud learn about the pin she is wearing on her turban?
(a) It is worthless costume jewelry.
(b) It is a famous jem that was stolen years ago.
(c) It is likely one of a matching pair.
(d) It is possibly a family heirloom from the 1800s.
5. What does Roland think he and Maud will do after they go upstairs?
(a) Have a drink and get to know each other.
(b) Talk about the letters they've read.
(c) Make plans for the next day.
(d) Search through Christabel's room again.
6. Why does Maud cover her hair?
(a) Because women interpret her long hair as intended to please men.
(b) Because she doesn't want her hair to tangle.
(c) Because men won't take her seriously with long blond hair.
(d) Because she is embarrassed about her hair.
7. What does Blackadder do when Roland tells him about the notes in the book?
(a) He rushes to look at the notes.
(b) He tells Roland the notes are meaningless.
(c) He goes to see the curator of the library to try to acquire the notes.
(d) He sends three graduate students to examine the notes.
8. Where is the book that Roland looks at usually kept?
(a) On display in a glass box.
(b) In a locked safe.
(c) In the basement stacks.
(d) In a long-term storage facility.
9. What does Christabel compare herself to?
(a) A box.
(b) An egg.
(c) A doll.
(d) A tree.
10. What mood is Val in when Roland sees her?
(a) She is exhausted.
(b) She is excited but nervous.
(c) She is happy but distracted.
(d) She is in a bad mood.
11. What is Roland's reaction to Val telling him that a man wants to take her away to Newmarket?
(a) He is relieved that she's leaving.
(b) He says she is making it up.
(c) He says it may do her good.
(d) He is jealous and angry.
12. Why does Lady Joan invite Maud and Roland to stay overnight at Seal Court?
(a) Because of the weather.
(b) Because Maud wants to work late.
(c) To make Sir George annoyed.
(d) Because Lady Joan wants to talk with Maud.
13. What is the title of the book Roland looks at?
(a) Garden of Proserpina.
(b) Pranks of Priapus.
(c) The Grecian Way of Love.
(d) Principi di una Scienza.
14. How many letters does Roland find in the book?
15. What does the librarian warn Roland to do?
(a) Leave all the pieces of paper in the same order.
(b) Not expose the old papers to air.
(c) Not touch, move, or read the papers until they are cataloged.
(d) Only touch the papers with gloves or tweezers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roland help Lady Joan Bailey?
2. What was the purpose of Ash's trip, which Roland and Maud suspect Christabel accompanied him on?
3. What interesting references does Roland find in the diary?
4. Where is Christabel buried?
5. Where is the largest collection of Ash's books housed?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)