|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roland do with the letters?
(a) He copies them verbatim.
(b) He makes summarized notes of their contents and condition.
(c) He steals them.
(d) He moves them to the back of the book.
2. Where is the largest collection of Ash's books housed?
(a) Sapienza, Università di Roma in Rome.
(b) The Randolph Henry Ash Collection in Wisconsin.
(c) University of Cambridge in England.
(d) Robert Dale Owen University in New Mexico.
3. Who came to see Ellen while her husband was away?
(a) Ash's father.
(d) Ash's mother.
4. Where is Christabel buried?
(a) In a sprawling country graveyard.
(b) In a mausoleum in the city.
(c) Behind an old family home.
(d) In a churchyard.
5. What is Maud's home like?
(a) Messy and noisy.
(b) Sterile and tidy.
(c) Lively and changing.
(d) Old and decaying.
6. Does Roland show Maud the letters?
(a) Yes, but not at first.
(b) No, he keeps the letters completely secret.
(c) No, but he tells her a little bit about the letters.
(d) Yes, but he doesn't tell her he took the originals.
7. Whose writings on Christabel does Maud give Roland?
(a) Leonora Stern's.
(b) Ellen Ash's.
(c) Maud's own.
(d) Beatrice Nest's.
8. What does Christabel compare herself to?
(a) A tree.
(b) An egg.
(c) A box.
(d) A doll.
9. Where is the book that Roland looks at usually kept?
(a) In a long-term storage facility.
(b) On display in a glass box.
(c) In the basement stacks.
(d) In a locked safe.
10. What relation does Maud say she has to Christabel?
(a) Maud is no relation.
(b) Maud is her cousin's granddaughter.
(c) Maud is her great-great-great niece.
(d) Maud is her third cousin once removed.
11. Which apparition does the child follow?
(a) The bright blue apparition.
(b) The golden apparition.
(c) The silver apparition.
(d) The pale apparition.
12. What reference to Christabel does Beatrice Nest find in Ellen Ash's journals?
(a) Ellen Ash was involved in a charity with Christabel.
(b) Ellen Ash read Christabel's epic poem.
(c) Ellen Ash saw Christabel at a dinner party.
(d) Ellen Ash wrote a letter to Christabel.
13. What is Roland's reaction to Val telling him that a man wants to take her away to Newmarket?
(a) He says she is making it up.
(b) He says it may do her good.
(c) He is relieved that she's leaving.
(d) He is jealous and angry.
14. What does Cropper do to the letters he is trying to buy from Daisy Wapshott?
(a) He secretly writes an exact copy of them.
(b) He memorizes them.
(c) He cuts off a piece of the paper to analyze.
(d) He secretly photographs them.
15. Why does Lady Joan invite Maud and Roland to stay overnight at Seal Court?
(a) Because Lady Joan wants to talk with Maud.
(b) Because of the weather.
(c) To make Sir George annoyed.
(d) Because Maud wants to work late.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog does Lady Joan Bailey have?
2. What does Maud think of Cropper's biography of Ash?
3. Why does Maud cover her hair?
4. Where do Roland and Maud decide to go together to further their investigation?
5. Where do Roland and Maud think Ash and Christabel went together?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)