|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Val come home with?
(a) A wealthy-looking woman.
(b) A man in a red Porsche.
(c) A man dressed in artsy clothes with a beard.
(d) A woman friend from work.
2. Who do Joan and George Bailey invite to read the letters between Ash and Christabel?
(b) Maud and Roland.
3. How does Roland feel about the library?
(a) He is afraid of it.
(b) He is bored by it.
(c) He loves it.
(d) He hates it.
4. What did Ash send his wife during his trip?
(a) A gold ring.
(b) A saphire bracelet.
(c) A jet brooch.
(d) A diamond necklace.
5. How many pictures of Ash does Roland have?
(b) A dozen.
6. In what condition is the book Roland is studying?
(a) Good condition, except for the last fifty pages.
(b) Perfect condition, like new.
(c) Poor condition, with many problems.
(d) Good condition, with just a few minor problems.
7. How old is Roland?
8. What does Maud learn about the pin she is wearing on her turban?
(a) It is worthless costume jewelry.
(b) It is likely one of a matching pair.
(c) It is possibly a family heirloom from the 1800s.
(d) It is a famous jem that was stolen years ago.
9. What does the librarian warn Roland to do?
(a) Not expose the old papers to air.
(b) Not touch, move, or read the papers until they are cataloged.
(c) Only touch the papers with gloves or tweezers.
(d) Leave all the pieces of paper in the same order.
10. What library is Roland in at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) London Library.
(b) New York Library.
(c) Dublin Library.
(d) Paris Library.
11. When does Val cook complex meals?
(a) When she is frustrated and bored.
(b) When she is apathetic.
(c) When she is very angry or very happy.
(d) When she is sad and angry.
12. Where is the largest collection of Ash's books housed?
(a) Robert Dale Owen University in New Mexico.
(b) University of Cambridge in England.
(c) Sapienza, Università di Roma in Rome.
(d) The Randolph Henry Ash Collection in Wisconsin.
13. To whom does Swammerdam compare himself?
14. What do people think of Swammerdam's discoveries?
(a) People think Swammerdam is a genius.
(b) People think Swammerdam's discoveries are interesting but too difficult to understand.
(c) People think Swammerdam's discoveries are interesting but unimportant.
(d) People think Swammerdam is insane.
15. How did Ellen Ash feel about Christabel?
(a) She was a fair poet, but with no outstanding talent.
(b) She was a selfish woman who did not understand family.
(c) She was a pompous woman who wrote bad poetry.
(d) She was a great poet who would not be recognized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maud think of Cropper's biography of Ash?
2. How does Ash address the recipient of the letters?
3. What is in the box Maud finds?
4. What herb does the apparition offer the child?
5. What does Blanche Glover refer to Christabel as?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)