|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interesting references does Roland find in the diary?
(a) References to Christabel hiding a letter and to a male intruder.
(b) References to Christabel disappearing for a short time and to an overheard conversation.
(c) References to a mysterious illness of Christabel and a necklace from an unknown source.
(d) References to Christabel's changing temperament and a secret poem.
2. What is Maud's suggestion for herself and Roland to read the letters?
(a) She suggests that she read Christabel's letters, while Roland reads Ash's.
(b) She suggests that she begins reading at the beginning and Roland begins at the end.
(c) She suggests they read the letters aloud to each other.
(d) She suggests that she read the letters first, and Roland reads after her.
3. Who does Val come home with?
(a) A man dressed in artsy clothes with a beard.
(b) A woman friend from work.
(c) A man in a red Porsche.
(d) A wealthy-looking woman.
4. When does Val cook complex meals?
(a) When she is sad and angry.
(b) When she is very angry or very happy.
(c) When she is apathetic.
(d) When she is frustrated and bored.
5. Whose diary does Roland read at the Women's Resource Center?
(a) Blanche Glover's.
(b) Christabel LaMotte's.
(c) Maud Bailey's.
(d) Sir George Bailey's.
6. What herb does the apparition offer the child?
(a) The Herb of Passion.
(b) The Herb of Miracles.
(c) The Herb of Beauty.
(d) The Herb of Rest.
7. What mood is Val in when Roland sees her?
(a) She is happy but distracted.
(b) She is in a bad mood.
(c) She is excited but nervous.
(d) She is exhausted.
8. What does Christabel compare herself to?
(a) A doll.
(b) An egg.
(c) A tree.
(d) A box.
9. Where is the poem Swammerdam set?
(a) In Austria.
(b) In Belgium.
(c) In Switzerland.
(d) In Germany.
10. What is the title of the book Roland looks at?
(a) Pranks of Priapus.
(b) Garden of Proserpina.
(c) Principi di una Scienza.
(d) The Grecian Way of Love.
11. What is Maud's home like?
(a) Sterile and tidy.
(b) Messy and noisy.
(c) Old and decaying.
(d) Lively and changing.
12. What condition does Beatrice impose on Roland reading Ellen Ash's journals?
(a) Roland must not touch the original journals.
(b) Roland must not take any notes.
(c) Roland must not read any but a few specific pages.
(d) Roland must not leave Beatrice's office.
13. What does Blackadder do when Roland tells him about the notes in the book?
(a) He rushes to look at the notes.
(b) He sends three graduate students to examine the notes.
(c) He goes to see the curator of the library to try to acquire the notes.
(d) He tells Roland the notes are meaningless.
14. What kind of car does Cropper drive?
(a) A blue Maserati.
(b) A silver Volkswagen.
(c) A black Mercedes.
(d) A red Porsche.
15. What kind of interpretation does the writing that Maud gives Roland put on Christabel's imagery?
(a) A sexual interpretation.
(b) A metaphysical interpretation.
(c) A religious interpretation.
(d) A literal interpretation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose writings on Christabel does Maud give Roland?
2. What does Ash do that makes Christabel say that perhaps they should stop writing?
3. What is the title of the story told in Chapter 9?
4. What is Roland's job?
5. Where is the largest collection of Ash's books housed?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)