• Roland is in the London Library Reading Room studying Ash's Vico, when he discovers two unfinished versions of a letter to an unnamed woman.
• Roland steals the letters and takes them with him out of the library.
• Roland keeps the letters secret from his girlfriend Val with whom he has a relationship strained by poverty.
• Roland discovers that the unnamed woman is Christabel LaMotte and that the expert on LaMotte is Dr. Maud Bailey at Lincoln University.
• Roland meets Maud, tells her about the letters, and plans to go to Seal Court, Christabel's former home, to investigate.
• At Seal Court, Maud correctly interprets one of Christabel's poems to find a box full of letters between Ash and Christabel.
• Professor Cropper illicitly photographs some letters of Ash's that he's trying to buy, thinks about his wealthy, possession-driven life, and asks Beatrice Nest to...
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)