|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joan spend a great deal of her time in Rome assisting?
2. Who takes over some of the Pope's charitable projects, leading to the nickname Little Pope?
3. What courtesan does Joan see during the procession to whom she offers forgiveness for her role in a plot against Joan?
4. Who takes advantage of the Pope's illness by exerting his power beyond the limits of his position as missus?
5. What medical condition does Joan learn she has after the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cardinal Leo elected Pope over Anastasius?
2. Who is referred to as 'Little Pope' under Pope Leo? Why?
3. Why is Joan arrested? What is her punishment?
4. Why does Joan finally agree to run away with Gerold?
5. Who begins to plot against Pope Joan because of her ideas?
6. Why does Pope Leo excommunicate Anastasius?
7. Who is working behind the new Pope, Pope Sergius, in order to increase his own power?
8. Who arrests Benedict? What punishment does he suffer?
9. How does Pope Leo die? Who is elected to take his place?
10. What does Joan implement in order to help slow the spread of the plague during Church services?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail, discussing theme, symbolism, metaphor, or other literary techniques related to these situations. Cite examples from the novel.
1. Gudrun's Saxon beliefs and her desire to teach them to her daughter.
2. Joan's defiance in refusing to scrape the words from her book to appease her father.
3. Gudrun's warning that women should not place themselves in a position to rely on men and how it affects Joan's decisions as the plot develops.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss these characters' relationships to one another and the impact of these relationships on other characters and the development of the plot. Use theme, symbolism, and metaphor in your discussion. Cite examples from the novel.
1. Joan and John
2. The Canon of Ingleheim and Gudrun
3. Matthew and Joan.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Joan cut her hair and take her brother's cloak after the massacre on her wedding day? Where does Joan go? Why? What education does Joan receive in this new place? How does this situation place Joan in trouble? What might happen if Joan were discovered? Who eventually does discover the truth? What does this person do? Who else knows the truth about Joan? Why does no one ever learn the truth about Joan? How likely is it that a woman could live in this way for so many years and deceive so many people? How does the author explain this deceit to the reader?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)