|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who restores Anastasius' Cardinal rank to him after his excommunication by Pope Leo?
2. What is the purpose of the large procession Joan participates in in Chapter 29?
3. What accomplice to the poisoners is found dead in the river?
4. What medical condition does Joan learn she has after the flood?
5. What illness befalls the Pope in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joan encourage Pope Sergius to do that makes Benedict unhappy?
2. Why is Cardinal Leo elected Pope over Anastasius?
3. Why does Pope Leo excommunicate Anastasius?
4. What causes Joan's death?
5. What does Joan implement in order to help slow the spread of the plague during Church services?
6. To what office does Anastasius aspire? For what reason?
7. What project does Joan immediately give to Gerold to oversee as she becomes Pope?
8. Who arrests Benedict? What punishment does he suffer?
9. Who starts the fire that burns the new wall Pope Leo is building and destroys several other buildings, including the school? Why?
10. What miracle does Joan create in order to stop the fighting between Pope Sergius and Lothar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's argument with Odo in regards to the inferiority of women. Why does Joan enter into this argument? What does Joan hope to prove with her argument? Why does Odo argue with Joan? What is his attitude toward Joan? How does Joan win this argument? What does this say about Joan's intelligence? How does this argument set the tone for Joan's stay at the school? Does this argument make Odo an enemy for Joan?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Joan cut her hair and take her brother's cloak after the massacre on her wedding day? Where does Joan go? Why? What education does Joan receive in this new place? How does this situation place Joan in trouble? What might happen if Joan were discovered? Who eventually does discover the truth? What does this person do? Who else knows the truth about Joan? Why does no one ever learn the truth about Joan? How likely is it that a woman could live in this way for so many years and deceive so many people? How does the author explain this deceit to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the political atmosphere in the time after the death of the Emperor. Who is to take over the government after the Emperor's death? Why is there a dispute over the Emperor's position? Which side does Gerold choose? What happens during the battle? How does this battle reflect the chaos common to this time period? Who will eventually rise to power after this battle? How will that affect the lives of the characters in this novel?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)