|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan save Gerold during his trial?
2. Where does Joan spend a great deal of her time in Rome assisting?
3. What nationality is the new Bishop the Pope has appointed that causes outrage from Magister Militum Daniel?
4. What is done with the surviving Saracens?
5. Who restores Anastasius' Cardinal rank to him after his excommunication by Pope Leo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who starts the fire that burns the new wall Pope Leo is building and destroys several other buildings, including the school? Why?
2. How do Gerold and Joan become stranded together in a boat?
3. Why does Pope Leo excommunicate Anastasius?
4. How does Pope Leo die? Who is elected to take his place?
5. What miracle does Joan create in order to stop the fighting between Pope Sergius and Lothar?
6. What does Joan implement in order to help slow the spread of the plague during Church services?
7. Who does Gerold support in the battle between the dead Emperor's three sons?
8. What warning does Joan give Pope Sergius in the face of the Saracen attack that he does not heed?
9. What truth does Joan learn when she sees Gerold again? How does Joan react to Gerold's request to run away?
10. Who begins to plot against Pope Joan because of her ideas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Hrotrud forced to drown? What does this punishment say about religious beliefs in this time period? Why does Joan feel this punishment is illogical? Is Joan right? Why is Joan excited by the idea of applying logic to religion? Why has no one else ever attempted to apply logic to religion? Is it heretical to apply logic to religion? Is Joan religious? Does Joan believe in the Catholic Church? How does the reader come to understand Joan's feelings about her religion?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Gerold? How does Gerold win Joan's affections? How does Gerold's affections for Joan go against the teachings of the Catholic Church? Who tells Gerold's wife that Gerold and Joan are lovers? Is this true? What does Richild do to keep Joan away from Gerold? Why does the Bishop go along with Richild's plot against Joan? How does Richild get Joan to the church the day of the massacre? How does the massacre change Joan's life? Why does Gerold believe Joan has been taken away by the Norsemen? How does Gerold react to the loss of Joan and his entire family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's rise in the Catholic Church. How does Joan come to be a monk? When is Joan promoted to priest? What is the reaction of other monks? How does this reaction foreshadow other times in which Joan's rise will negatively or positively affect those around her? How does Joan come to be doctor to the Pope? Why is the Pope's brother threatened by her presence? What action does the brother take against Joan? How does Joan's position in the Pope's home eventually lead to her becoming Pope?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)