|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What penance does Joan offer the Pope after he confesses his sins?
2. What is the new pope's first project upon taking office?
3. To whom does Joan overhear Anastasius pledge loyalty?
4. What kind of a leader is Pope Leo?
5. What misunderstanding do Gerold and Joan work out when they meet up again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joan implement in order to help slow the spread of the plague during Church services?
2. Why does Pope Leo excommunicate Anastasius?
3. Why is Joan arrested? What is her punishment?
4. How do Gerold and Joan become stranded together in a boat?
5. Who begins to plot against Pope Joan because of her ideas?
6. What causes Joan's death?
7. How does Pope Leo die? Who is elected to take his place?
8. Who does Gerold support in the battle between the dead Emperor's three sons?
9. Why does Benedict abandon his brother and leave Rome?
10. Who is working behind the new Pope, Pope Sergius, in order to increase his own power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. When is the novel set? Where is the novel set? What impact does the time period in which the novel is set affect the overall plot? How would the novel be different if the novel were set in a different time period? What is significant about the historical setting of the novel? What is the significance of the political atmosphere of the novel? How do government power struggles affect the overall plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, discussing theme, symbolism, metaphor, or other literary techniques related to these situations. Cite examples from the novel.
1. Gudrun's Saxon beliefs and her desire to teach them to her daughter.
2. Joan's defiance in refusing to scrape the words from her book to appease her father.
3. Gudrun's warning that women should not place themselves in a position to rely on men and how it affects Joan's decisions as the plot develops.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the political atmosphere in the time after the death of the Emperor. Who is to take over the government after the Emperor's death? Why is there a dispute over the Emperor's position? Which side does Gerold choose? What happens during the battle? How does this battle reflect the chaos common to this time period? Who will eventually rise to power after this battle? How will that affect the lives of the characters in this novel?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)