|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Odo's behavior with Joan change, causing tensions in Chapter 9?
2. What subject does Joan attempt to challenge her tester on in Chapter 7-8?
3. What does Joan's father do when he sees her reading the book Aesculapius gave Joan?
4. What causes Joan to become ill in Chapter 6?
5. Of what does Matthew die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joan go after the massacre at the church?
2. How does Gudrun, Joan's mother, feel about the things Aesculapius is teaching her daughter?
3. From what background are Joan's parents and why do these backgrounds not mix?
4. How did Gudrun meet and marry the Canon of Ingleheim?
5. Who teaches Joan to read and write? Why do they keep this secret?
6. Why does Joan insist on helping cure a woman who has been diagnosed with leprosy?
7. What advice does Gudrun give to Joan that Joan will remember the rest of her life?
8. Why will the leaders at the monastery not allow Brother Gottschalk to leave?
9. Who is Pope when Anastasius is a young child?
10. What does John steal from his father? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's relationship with Gerold. How does Gerold feel about Joan? Would Gerold marry Joan even though she pretends to be a man? Why does Joan repeatedly refuse to run away with Gerold? Whose advice causes Joan to hesitate to be reliant on a man? Are Joan and Gerold lovers? When do they become lovers? How does this relationship threaten Joan's future as Pope? How does this romance ultimately lead to Joan's death and the revelation she is female?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan's childhood, paying special attention to the things that affected her choices in young adulthood. Who is Joan? Who was her father? Who was her mother? What was the relationship like between Joan's parents? What impact did this relationship have Joan's emotional growth as a child? How did Joan's father treat her? Why? How was Joan's relationship with her mother? What was unusual about this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's rise in the Catholic Church. How does Joan come to be a monk? When is Joan promoted to priest? What is the reaction of other monks? How does this reaction foreshadow other times in which Joan's rise will negatively or positively affect those around her? How does Joan come to be doctor to the Pope? Why is the Pope's brother threatened by her presence? What action does the brother take against Joan? How does Joan's position in the Pope's home eventually lead to her becoming Pope?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)