|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richild intercept that tells her of Joan's plans?
2. How does Joan's father react to her display of intelligence in her attempts to allow her to take up Matthew's studies?
3. What decision has Brother Gottschalk made in regards to his stay at the monastery?
4. What does Joan's father do when he sees her reading the book Aesculapius gave Joan?
5. Why are lepers separated from the general population?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joan treated at school? Why?
2. How does her friendship with Gerold continue Joan's education?
3. What does John steal from his father? For what reason?
4. What does Joan notice at the home of the Bishop that she finds unusual?
5. What causes the death of the servant Bertha on the walk to the fair?
6. Who arranges a marriage for Joan? Who does Joan believe is behind this arranged marriage?
7. Who does Aesculapius want to take on as a student?
8. What happens to all who come to attend Joan's wedding, including her brother John?
9. Where does Joan go to school and whose teachings help her get there?
10. Who teaches Joan to read and write? Why do they keep this secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. When is the novel set? Where is the novel set? What impact does the time period in which the novel is set affect the overall plot? How would the novel be different if the novel were set in a different time period? What is significant about the historical setting of the novel? What is the significance of the political atmosphere of the novel? How do government power struggles affect the overall plot?
Essay Topic 2
How does jealousy lead to Gerold's death? Why is Gerold targeted and murdered? How does this lead to Joan's downfall? Does the person behind this plot get what he wanted? How does this person cause the disappearance of Joan from the history books? Where does Joan die? What causes her death? How does the author use Joan's death in this place to prove to the reader that Joan really existed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the political atmosphere in the time after the death of the Emperor. Who is to take over the government after the Emperor's death? Why is there a dispute over the Emperor's position? Which side does Gerold choose? What happens during the battle? How does this battle reflect the chaos common to this time period? Who will eventually rise to power after this battle? How will that affect the lives of the characters in this novel?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)