|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Gudrun give her daughter that Joan will recall all her life?
2. What decision has Brother Gottschalk made in regards to his stay at the monastery?
3. What happens to John and the emissary as they walk in the woods in Chapter 6?
4. What does Richild say about Joan's relationship with Gerold?
5. To what office is Joan eventually elected?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the leaders at the monastery not allow Brother Gottschalk to leave?
2. Who arranges a marriage for Joan? Who does Joan believe is behind this arranged marriage?
3. Where did Joan go after the massacre at the church?
4. With whom does Joan get into a discussion regarding the inferiority of females?
5. How is Joan treated at school? Why?
6. How does Joan make it possible for Gottschalk to leave the monastery?
7. Where does Gerold believe Joan is after he fails to find her body among those murdered at the church?
8. How does Joan survive? How does she plan to continue to survive?
9. What causes the death of the servant Bertha on the walk to the fair?
10. Who is the only person who knows Joan is a woman and how did he come to know this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the men in Joan's family. Who was Joan's father? Why does he feel women are inferior to men? How does this belief affect the relationship between Joan and her father? Discuss Matthew. How does Matthew seek to help Joan educate herself? How does this affect their relationship? What gift does Matthew give to Joan? Why is Joan blamed for Matthew's death? Who is John? What is his relationship like with Joan? What causes the tension in this relationship? What does John want to be as an adult? Why? Why will John never achieve his dream?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the education of women in relationship to the setting of the novel. Why is it unusual for a woman to be educated? Why does Joan seek to be educated? What might have been Joan's future had she not been educated? Why did Joan not want this future? Who does Joan meet that allows her to be sent to school with John? Why does John resent Joan's intelligence and desire to be educated? How does this affect their relationship? How does her desire to be tutored by a Greek scholar affect Joan's relationship with her Saxon mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's childhood, paying special attention to the things that affected her choices in young adulthood. Who is Joan? Who was her father? Who was her mother? What was the relationship like between Joan's parents? What impact did this relationship have Joan's emotional growth as a child? How did Joan's father treat her? Why? How was Joan's relationship with her mother? What was unusual about this relationship?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)