|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who survives the attack in the woods and how?
2. What type of books does Gerold begin giving Joan?
3. Who often comes to Joan's rescue when the other students torment her?
4. What does the Bishop thinks of Joan's arranged married?
5. What is the name of the school Joan would eventually attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event causes Joan to defy the church's policy against women and makes her happy to be living as a man?
2. At whose home does Joan stay during her time at Dorstadt?
3. What event allows Joan to take on the persona of her brother and enter a monastery under his name?
4. Who catches Gerold and Joan in an embrace?
5. Who comes to visit Joan and discovers the truth about her identity?
6. How does Joan survive? How does she plan to continue to survive?
7. What happens to all who come to attend Joan's wedding, including her brother John?
8. Who arranges a marriage for Joan? Who does Joan believe is behind this arranged marriage?
9. How does Joan manage to go with John to attend school at Dorstadt?
10. Where does Gerold believe Joan is after he fails to find her body among those murdered at the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the education of women in relationship to the setting of the novel. Why is it unusual for a woman to be educated? Why does Joan seek to be educated? What might have been Joan's future had she not been educated? Why did Joan not want this future? Who does Joan meet that allows her to be sent to school with John? Why does John resent Joan's intelligence and desire to be educated? How does this affect their relationship? How does her desire to be tutored by a Greek scholar affect Joan's relationship with her Saxon mother?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Joan cut her hair and take her brother's cloak after the massacre on her wedding day? Where does Joan go? Why? What education does Joan receive in this new place? How does this situation place Joan in trouble? What might happen if Joan were discovered? Who eventually does discover the truth? What does this person do? Who else knows the truth about Joan? Why does no one ever learn the truth about Joan? How likely is it that a woman could live in this way for so many years and deceive so many people? How does the author explain this deceit to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
How does jealousy lead to Gerold's death? Why is Gerold targeted and murdered? How does this lead to Joan's downfall? Does the person behind this plot get what he wanted? How does this person cause the disappearance of Joan from the history books? Where does Joan die? What causes her death? How does the author use Joan's death in this place to prove to the reader that Joan really existed?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)