|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Joan's role in history taken from the history books?
2. Why is Judith, wife of Viscount Waifar, turned away from the church even though she has waited the normal thirty days?
3. What title did Joan's father hold?
4. Who comes to visit John of Anglicus at Fulda?
5. Why is it an insult to her mother for Joan to be tutored by a Catholic teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Joan go to school and whose teachings help her get there?
2. What event causes Joan to defy the church's policy against women and makes her happy to be living as a man?
3. What person comes to visit the Canon of Ingleheim and what does he try to teach him about logic?
4. How does Joan make it possible for Gottschalk to leave the monastery?
5. What event allows Joan to take on the persona of her brother and enter a monastery under his name?
6. From what background are Joan's parents and why do these backgrounds not mix?
7. Why will the leaders at the monastery not allow Brother Gottschalk to leave?
8. Who does Aesculapius want to take on as a student?
9. How does Joan survive? How does she plan to continue to survive?
10. What happens to all who come to attend Joan's wedding, including her brother John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's rise in the Catholic Church. How does Joan come to be a monk? When is Joan promoted to priest? What is the reaction of other monks? How does this reaction foreshadow other times in which Joan's rise will negatively or positively affect those around her? How does Joan come to be doctor to the Pope? Why is the Pope's brother threatened by her presence? What action does the brother take against Joan? How does Joan's position in the Pope's home eventually lead to her becoming Pope?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Gerold? How does Gerold win Joan's affections? How does Gerold's affections for Joan go against the teachings of the Catholic Church? Who tells Gerold's wife that Gerold and Joan are lovers? Is this true? What does Richild do to keep Joan away from Gerold? Why does the Bishop go along with Richild's plot against Joan? How does Richild get Joan to the church the day of the massacre? How does the massacre change Joan's life? Why does Gerold believe Joan has been taken away by the Norsemen? How does Gerold react to the loss of Joan and his entire family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's childhood, paying special attention to the things that affected her choices in young adulthood. Who is Joan? Who was her father? Who was her mother? What was the relationship like between Joan's parents? What impact did this relationship have Joan's emotional growth as a child? How did Joan's father treat her? Why? How was Joan's relationship with her mother? What was unusual about this relationship?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)