|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan discover when she applies logic to Hrotrud's trial?
2. What does Joan's father do when he sees her reading the book Aesculapius gave Joan?
3. For whom does Judith, wife of Viscount Waifar, come to the church to pray?
4. What causes Joan to become ill in Chapter 6?
5. How does Joan cure a leper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anastasius witness as he waits to visit his Uncle Theodorus?
2. Who does Aesculapius want to take on as a student?
3. Who teaches Joan to read and write? Why do they keep this secret?
4. Why does Joan insist on helping cure a woman who has been diagnosed with leprosy?
5. Who is blamed for Matthew's death? Why?
6. How is Joan treated at school? Why?
7. Who is the only person who knows Joan is a woman and how did he come to know this?
8. Why will the leaders at the monastery not allow Brother Gottschalk to leave?
9. What person comes to visit the Canon of Ingleheim and what does he try to teach him about logic?
10. Where does Gerold believe Joan is after he fails to find her body among those murdered at the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the men in Joan's family. Who was Joan's father? Why does he feel women are inferior to men? How does this belief affect the relationship between Joan and her father? Discuss Matthew. How does Matthew seek to help Joan educate herself? How does this affect their relationship? What gift does Matthew give to Joan? Why is Joan blamed for Matthew's death? Who is John? What is his relationship like with Joan? What causes the tension in this relationship? What does John want to be as an adult? Why? Why will John never achieve his dream?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following objects and their significance to the characters and plot development within the novel:
1. The hydraulic machine
2. St. Catherine medal
3. Joan's book by Homer.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Anastasius? Why does his father force him to watch the murder of his father? What emotions do this episode inspire in Anastasius? Why does the author introduce Anastasius this early in the novel? What does Anastasius' witnessing of the murder and his appearance this early in the novel foreshadow as the plot continues to develop? Is Anastasius' father looking out for his son or is he trying to promote some agenda of his own?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)