|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is the emissary who comes in Chapter 6, looking for Joan?
2. Who begins to test Joan on her Orthodox Theology knowledge upon her arrival at Dorstadt?
3. By what name is Joan known?
4. Why does Gudrun tell her daughter that she went with the Christian missionaries, a group that included her current husband?
5. What does Joan think of this impending marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joan notice at the home of the Bishop that she finds unusual?
2. What event causes Joan to defy the church's policy against women and makes her happy to be living as a man?
3. What does Anastasius witness as he waits to visit his Uncle Theodorus?
4. How does Joan make it possible for Gottschalk to leave the monastery?
5. Who arranges a marriage for Joan? Who does Joan believe is behind this arranged marriage?
6. Who catches Gerold and Joan in an embrace?
7. Who teaches Joan to read and write? Why do they keep this secret?
8. At whose home does Joan stay during her time at Dorstadt?
9. Where does Gerold believe Joan is after he fails to find her body among those murdered at the church?
10. What happens to all who come to attend Joan's wedding, including her brother John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the men in Joan's family. Who was Joan's father? Why does he feel women are inferior to men? How does this belief affect the relationship between Joan and her father? Discuss Matthew. How does Matthew seek to help Joan educate herself? How does this affect their relationship? What gift does Matthew give to Joan? Why is Joan blamed for Matthew's death? Who is John? What is his relationship like with Joan? What causes the tension in this relationship? What does John want to be as an adult? Why? Why will John never achieve his dream?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following objects and their significance to the characters and plot development within the novel:
1. The hydraulic machine
2. St. Catherine medal
3. Joan's book by Homer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's rise in the Catholic Church. How does Joan come to be a monk? When is Joan promoted to priest? What is the reaction of other monks? How does this reaction foreshadow other times in which Joan's rise will negatively or positively affect those around her? How does Joan come to be doctor to the Pope? Why is the Pope's brother threatened by her presence? What action does the brother take against Joan? How does Joan's position in the Pope's home eventually lead to her becoming Pope?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)