|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Gudrun give her daughter that Joan will recall all her life?
2. Who comes to visit John of Anglicus at Fulda?
3. How does Joan see her love for Gerold now that time has passed?
4. What does the Bishop thinks of Joan's arranged married?
5. Why does Odo, the school master, treat Joan badly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the leaders at the monastery not allow Brother Gottschalk to leave?
2. Who is blamed for Matthew's death? Why?
3. Who is the only person who knows Joan is a woman and how did he come to know this?
4. How does Joan manage to go with John to attend school at Dorstadt?
5. What causes the death of the servant Bertha on the walk to the fair?
6. What event causes Joan to defy the church's policy against women and makes her happy to be living as a man?
7. How is Joan treated at school? Why?
8. How does her friendship with Gerold continue Joan's education?
9. Who invites Joan to attend school in Dorstadt? Why do Joan's parents allow this person to believe John is the intended student?
10. Where did Joan go after the massacre at the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following objects and their significance to the characters and plot development within the novel:
1. The hydraulic machine
2. St. Catherine medal
3. Joan's book by Homer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Joan's childhood, paying special attention to the things that affected her choices in young adulthood. Who is Joan? Who was her father? Who was her mother? What was the relationship like between Joan's parents? What impact did this relationship have Joan's emotional growth as a child? How did Joan's father treat her? Why? How was Joan's relationship with her mother? What was unusual about this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss these characters' relationships to one another and the impact of these relationships on other characters and the development of the plot. Use theme, symbolism, and metaphor in your discussion. Cite examples from the novel.
1. Joan and John
2. The Canon of Ingleheim and Gudrun
3. Matthew and Joan.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)