|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What magical event takes place when Lothar reaches Rome?
(a) The basilica doors open.
(b) The city gates close on their own.
(c) The basilica doors close on their own.
(d) The city gates open on their own.
2. Why is Joan released from the dungeon?
(a) To negotiate with Lothar.
(b) To treat the Pope's illness.
(c) To pray for a miracle.
(d) To help find Benedict.
3. Which side wins the first battle?
(a) Charles and Ludwig.
(b) Ludwig and Gerold.
(c) Lothar and Gerold.
(d) Charles and Gerold.
4. What occasion does Joan insist on waiting for before running away with Gerold?
5. Who is traveling with Lothar's army?
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice does Joan institute in the churches of Fulda that causes her to be punished for disobedience?
2. What do the Saracens take from the basilica?
3. To whom does Joan overhear Anastasius pledge loyalty?
4. What is done with the surviving Saracens?
5. Who does Joan believe might be responsible for the destruction of the Saracens due to divine presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Joan's death?
2. How does Pope Leo die? Who is elected to take his place?
3. What does Joan encourage Pope Sergius to do that makes Benedict unhappy?
4. What does Joan implement in order to help slow the spread of the plague during Church services?
5. Who starts the fire that burns the new wall Pope Leo is building and destroys several other buildings, including the school? Why?
6. Who arrests Benedict? What punishment does he suffer?
7. Who does Gerold support in the battle between the dead Emperor's three sons?
8. How do Gerold and Joan become stranded together in a boat?
9. Who is referred to as 'Little Pope' under Pope Leo? Why?
10. Why does Benedict abandon his brother and leave Rome?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)