|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joan believe might be responsible for the destruction of the Saracens due to divine presence?
2. Who denounced Lothar only to be proven a liar in order to be appointed Pope upon Pope Sergius' death?
3. Who is elected Pope after Leo's death?
4. What disaster hits the Martius area that forces Gerold and Joan to go there in order to save the poor?
5. To whom does Joan overhear Anastasius pledge loyalty?
(b) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness befalls the Pope in Chapter 19?
2. What magical event takes place when Lothar reaches Rome?
3. What does Joan do to treat the Pope's illness in Chapter 20?
4. How does Joan attempt to treat her condition?
5. What is the cause of Joan's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what office does Anastasius aspire? For what reason?
2. Why does Benedict abandon his brother and leave Rome?
3. What project does Joan immediately give to Gerold to oversee as she becomes Pope?
4. Who does Gerold support in the battle between the dead Emperor's three sons?
5. What does Joan encourage Pope Sergius to do that makes Benedict unhappy?
6. How do Gerold and Joan become stranded together in a boat?
7. Who is working behind the new Pope, Pope Sergius, in order to increase his own power?
8. Why is Joan arrested? What is her punishment?
9. Who starts the fire that burns the new wall Pope Leo is building and destroys several other buildings, including the school? Why?
10. Who arrests Benedict? What punishment does he suffer?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)