|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joan do to treat the Pope's illness in Chapter 20?
(a) Gives him herbal medication.
(b) Places him on a diet and orders him to drink more wine.
(c) Places him on a diet and forces him to exercise.
(d) Gives him vitamins.
2. What punishment does Benedict receive for his crime?
(a) He is placed in the dungeon.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He is banished from Rome.
(d) His hands are severed.
3. What happens to another fleet of Saracen ships come to invade Rome?
(a) They are turned back by a fleet of armed ships.
(b) They are destroyed by Viking warriors.
(c) They are massacred by Lothar's army.
(d) They break apart in a storm.
4. How does Joan save Gerold during his trial?
(a) By using Cicero's laws.
(b) By getting more people on her side.
(c) By banishing Anastasius from Rome.
(d) By vowing loyalty to Lothar.
5. Who restores Anastasius' Cardinal rank to him after his excommunication by Pope Leo?
(c) The new Pope.
(d) Archbishop Raban.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose army arrives to save the people of Rome from the Saracens?
2. Who created this miracle?
3. What event is Anastasius waiting to take place in order to help him advance in the church?
4. Why has Benedict said he took the Papal treasury?
5. What practice that Joan was previously punished for incorporating into church services is widely incorporated now?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Cardinal Leo elected Pope over Anastasius?
2. Why does Joan finally agree to run away with Gerold?
3. Who starts the fire that burns the new wall Pope Leo is building and destroys several other buildings, including the school? Why?
4. What warning does Joan give Pope Sergius in the face of the Saracen attack that he does not heed?
5. How does Joan prove Gerold innocent during his trial for treason?
6. How do Gerold and Joan become stranded together in a boat?
7. Why does Benedict abandon his brother and leave Rome?
8. Who arrests Benedict? What punishment does he suffer?
9. Why is Joan arrested? What is her punishment?
10. What does Joan encourage Pope Sergius to do that makes Benedict unhappy?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)