|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What practice does Joan institute in the churches of Fulda that causes her to be punished for disobedience?
2. What penance does Joan offer the Pope after he confesses his sins?
(a) To avoid wine and tobacco.
(b) To avoid wine and four-footed meat.
(c) To avoid sex.
(d) To avoid sweets.
3. Who denounced Lothar only to be proven a liar in order to be appointed Pope upon Pope Sergius' death?
4. Who created this miracle?
(b) The Pope.
5. What law does Anastasius invoke at Gerold's trial in Chapter 29?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is done with the surviving Saracens?
2. What event is Anastasius waiting to take place in order to help him advance in the church?
3. Which side wins the first battle?
4. What kind of a leader is Pope Leo?
5. How do and Gerold Joan finally find a moment of intimacy after all these years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan finally agree to run away with Gerold?
2. To what office does Anastasius aspire? For what reason?
3. Who does Gerold support in the battle between the dead Emperor's three sons?
4. Who is referred to as 'Little Pope' under Pope Leo? Why?
5. What miracle does Joan create in order to stop the fighting between Pope Sergius and Lothar?
6. What does Joan encourage Pope Sergius to do that makes Benedict unhappy?
7. What truth does Joan learn when she sees Gerold again? How does Joan react to Gerold's request to run away?
8. What warning does Joan give Pope Sergius in the face of the Saracen attack that he does not heed?
9. Why does Benedict abandon his brother and leave Rome?
10. Who arrests Benedict? What punishment does he suffer?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)