|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only way for Hrotrud to prove her innocence?
(a) To drown.
(b) To quit delivering babies.
(c) To swim.
(d) To confess.
2. Who finds a passage in the law books that results in the church council overruling the abbot?
(a) Gerold of Villiaris.
(b) John of Anglicus.
(c) Joan of Ingleheim.
(d) Brother Benjamin.
3. Who does Gerold kill on the docks in a rage?
(a) A Viking.
(c) His assistant.
4. What does the Bishop thinks of Joan's arranged married?
(a) He believes they should wait for Gerold's return.
(b) He does not want to see his star pupil leave.
(c) He believes Joan should marry someone else.
(d) He believes permission should be granted by Joan's parents.
5. Why are lepers separated from the general population?
(a) To keep them from stealing again.
(b) To keep them from spreading the plague.
(c) To prevent the spreading of the disease.
(d) To keep them from soiling the pure souls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during Anastasius' visit to the Roman Lateran Palace that he is forced to watch?
2. What does a farrier do?
3. What is Joan warned could happen to people who ask the wrong questions?
4. What job is Gerold assigned to do while away from his family?
5. With whom is Joan to live while attending the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Joan go to school and whose teachings help her get there?
2. What event causes Joan to defy the church's policy against women and makes her happy to be living as a man?
3. Whose death leads Joan to discover that logic applied to religion makes sense? Why?
4. At whose home does Joan stay during her time at Dorstadt?
5. How does Joan make it possible for Gottschalk to leave the monastery?
6. Why does Joan insist on helping cure a woman who has been diagnosed with leprosy?
7. What decision has Gerold made while he was away from Joan?
8. Who does Aesculapius want to take on as a student?
9. Who teaches Joan to read and write? Why do they keep this secret?
10. What happens to all who come to attend Joan's wedding, including her brother John?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)