|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What misunderstanding do Gerold and Joan work out when they meet up again?
(a) Gerold's involvement in Joan's arranged marriage.
(b) Gerold's association with Lothar.
(c) Gerold's affairs with other women.
(d) Gerold's devotion to Richild.
2. Who takes over some of the Pope's charitable projects, leading to the nickname Little Pope?
3. Where is Joan sent by the missus?
(a) A monastery in Fulda.
(b) The dungeon.
(c) Back to Ingleheim.
(d) To serve the lepers in a leper colony.
4. What kind of a leader is Pope Leo?
(a) Constructive and effective.
(b) Lazy and ineffective.
(c) Just and benevolent.
(d) Tyrannical and power hungry.
5. What law does Anastasius invoke at Gerold's trial in Chapter 29?
6. What accomplice to the poisoners is found dead in the river?
7. What do the Saracens take from the basilica?
(a) The ark of the covenant.
(b) The cross of Constantine.
(c) The holy grail.
(d) The cross of Gabriel.
8. What disaster hits the Martius area that forces Gerold and Joan to go there in order to save the poor?
9. Who is traveling with Lothar's army?
10. Who disapproves of the new Pope's progressive thinking?
(a) The optimates and high clergy.
(b) The people.
(d) The Emperor.
11. Who is fighting to gain the dead Emperor's title?
(a) His three cousins.
(b) His three sons.
(c) His three brothers.
(d) His three nephews.
12. What occasion does Joan insist on waiting for before running away with Gerold?
13. What illness befalls the Pope in Chapter 19?
(a) The plague.
(c) A great pain caused by excess food and drink.
14. What is the new pope's first project upon taking office?
(a) Rebuilding of the aquaduct.
(b) Rebuilding of the watch tower.
(c) Rebuilding of the wall.
(d) Rebuilding of the school house.
15. What warning does a messenger bring the Pope on the Day of Ascension?
(a) That the Saracens are coming.
(b) That Joan has escaped and will seek revenge.
(c) That Lothar is coming.
(d) That the Emperor will be appointing a new Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who captures Benedict on the road to Rome?
2. What event is Anastasius waiting to take place in order to help him advance in the church?
3. What courtesan does Joan see during the procession to whom she offers forgiveness for her role in a plot against Joan?
4. What does Joan know about the Saracens that makes her fear for the safety of Rome?
5. About what people is Anastasius writing a book dealing with their history?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)