|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Joan overhear Anastasius pledge loyalty?
(b) The Pope.
2. About what people is Anastasius writing a book dealing with their history?
(a) The Saxons.
(b) The Popes.
(c) The Catholics.
(d) The Prostestants.
3. How do and Gerold Joan finally find a moment of intimacy after all these years?
(a) They are lost in the rubble of a fallen building.
(b) They are washed onto a deserted island by a tsunami wave.
(c) They are placed in isolation while suffering the plague.
(d) They are forced into a room after a tidal wave.
4. What does Joan do to treat the Pope's illness in Chapter 20?
(a) Places him on a diet and forces him to exercise.
(b) Gives him vitamins.
(c) Gives him herbal medication.
(d) Places him on a diet and orders him to drink more wine.
5. Who created this miracle?
(d) The Pope.
6. Who attempts to poison Pope Leo in order to clear the way for the election of a new pope?
7. To where does the fire spread, placing innocent lives in danger?
(a) The village.
(b) The basilica.
(c) The local market.
(d) The school house.
8. Who dies protecting the Pope from falling fire debris?
(a) Cardinal John.
(b) Vicedominus Arighis.
(c) Vicedominus Waldipert.
(d) Bishop Ludwig.
9. Who restores Anastasius' Cardinal rank to him after his excommunication by Pope Leo?
(a) The new Pope.
(d) Archbishop Raban.
10. What warning does a messenger bring the Pope on the Day of Ascension?
(a) That the Emperor will be appointing a new Pope.
(b) That Joan has escaped and will seek revenge.
(c) That the Saracens are coming.
(d) That Lothar is coming.
11. What kind of a leader is Pope Leo?
(a) Constructive and effective.
(b) Lazy and ineffective.
(c) Just and benevolent.
(d) Tyrannical and power hungry.
12. What courtesan does Joan see during the procession to whom she offers forgiveness for her role in a plot against Joan?
13. Who takes over some of the Pope's charitable projects, leading to the nickname Little Pope?
14. What does the missus accuse Joan of?
(a) Being a fake.
(b) Being a woman.
(c) Being unchaste.
(d) Harming the Pope.
15. Which side wins the first battle?
(a) Ludwig and Gerold.
(b) Charles and Gerold.
(c) Charles and Ludwig.
(d) Lothar and Gerold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Joan give to the daughter of her friend, Arn?
2. Why is Joan released from the dungeon?
3. Who takes advantage of the Pope's illness by exerting his power beyond the limits of his position as missus?
4. What event is Anastasius waiting to take place in order to help him advance in the church?
5. Who is traveling with Lothar's army?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)