|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan save Gerold during his trial?
(a) By using Cicero's laws.
(b) By vowing loyalty to Lothar.
(c) By getting more people on her side.
(d) By banishing Anastasius from Rome.
2. Whose army arrives to save the people of Rome from the Saracens?
(b) Prince Siconulf.
3. What penance does Joan offer the Pope after he confesses his sins?
(a) To avoid wine and four-footed meat.
(b) To avoid sweets.
(c) To avoid wine and tobacco.
(d) To avoid sex.
4. Who takes advantage of the Pope's illness by exerting his power beyond the limits of his position as missus?
5. What nationality is the new Bishop the Pope has appointed that causes outrage from Magister Militum Daniel?
6. Who disapproves of the new Pope's progressive thinking?
(a) The people.
(c) The optimates and high clergy.
(d) The Emperor.
7. To what position does the new Pope promote Joan?
8. What is the new pope's first project upon taking office?
(a) Rebuilding of the aquaduct.
(b) Rebuilding of the school house.
(c) Rebuilding of the watch tower.
(d) Rebuilding of the wall.
9. How do and Gerold Joan finally find a moment of intimacy after all these years?
(a) They are washed onto a deserted island by a tsunami wave.
(b) They are placed in isolation while suffering the plague.
(c) They are forced into a room after a tidal wave.
(d) They are lost in the rubble of a fallen building.
10. What do the Saracens take from the basilica?
(a) The cross of Constantine.
(b) The holy grail.
(c) The cross of Gabriel.
(d) The ark of the covenant.
11. What punishment does the Pope give the person accused of starting the fire?
(b) Imprisonment in the dungeon.
12. What item does Joan give to the daughter of her friend, Arn?
(a) Her rosary.
(b) Her monk robes.
(c) Her St. Catherine medal.
(d) Her crucifix.
13. To whom does Joan overhear Anastasius pledge loyalty?
(a) The Pope.
14. What does Joan do to treat the Pope's illness in Chapter 20?
(a) Gives him vitamins.
(b) Places him on a diet and orders him to drink more wine.
(c) Places him on a diet and forces him to exercise.
(d) Gives him herbal medication.
15. What project does Joan suggest in order to protect the basilica from future attacks?
(a) Building a watch tower.
(b) Building a mote.
(c) Building a wall.
(d) Building a stronger army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is traveling with Lothar's army?
2. What warning does a messenger bring the Pope on the Day of Ascension?
3. For what crime is Gerold put on trial in Chapter 29?
4. What advice does Joan give the Pope when they learn a fleet of Saracen ships is on its way to Rome?
5. What illness befalls the Pope in Chapter 19?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)