|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is fighting to gain the dead Emperor's title?
(a) His three cousins.
(b) His three sons.
(c) His three brothers.
(d) His three nephews.
2. What event is Anastasius waiting to take place in order to help him advance in the church?
(a) The assension of Lothar to the Emperor's throne.
(b) The ordination of Pope Gregory.
(c) The death of Emperor Louis.
(d) The death of Pope Gregory.
3. Who takes advantage of the Pope's illness by exerting his power beyond the limits of his position as missus?
4. Who burns the project in an attempt to hurt the Pope's role in Rome?
5. Who attempts to poison Pope Leo in order to clear the way for the election of a new pope?
6. What advice does Joan give the Pope when they learn a fleet of Saracen ships is on its way to Rome?
(a) To ask Lothar for help.
(b) To hire an army.
(c) To hide the religious relics.
(d) To evacuate the city.
7. Why does Joan refuse to run away with Gerold in Chapter 27?
(a) She has too many responsibilities.
(b) She does not want to be forced to rely on a man.
(c) She does not want to give up her career.
(d) She does not love him.
8. Who dies protecting the Pope from falling fire debris?
(a) Vicedominus Waldipert.
(b) Bishop Ludwig.
(c) Vicedominus Arighis.
(d) Cardinal John.
9. What kind of a leader is Pope Leo?
(a) Constructive and effective.
(b) Lazy and ineffective.
(c) Tyrannical and power hungry.
(d) Just and benevolent.
10. Who is elected Pope after Leo's death?
11. Who captures Benedict on the road to Rome?
(b) The Pope's army.
(c) Lothar's army.
12. What item does Joan give to the daughter of her friend, Arn?
(a) Her monk robes.
(b) Her rosary.
(c) Her St. Catherine medal.
(d) Her crucifix.
13. Who is traveling with Lothar's army?
14. Who created this miracle?
(b) The Pope.
15. What penance does Joan offer the Pope after he confesses his sins?
(a) To avoid sex.
(b) To avoid sweets.
(c) To avoid wine and tobacco.
(d) To avoid wine and four-footed meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice that Joan was previously punished for incorporating into church services is widely incorporated now?
2. What accomplice to the poisoners is found dead in the river?
3. What is the purpose of the large procession Joan participates in in Chapter 29?
4. What does Joan do to treat the Pope's illness in Chapter 20?
5. Where does Joan spend a great deal of her time in Rome assisting?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)