|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the large procession Joan participates in in Chapter 29?
(a) To celebrate the Pope.
(b) To celebrate passover.
(c) To fend off frost on the corn fields.
(d) To pray for a good harvest.
2. About what people is Anastasius writing a book dealing with their history?
(a) The Popes.
(b) The Catholics.
(c) The Prostestants.
(d) The Saxons.
3. What is done with the surviving Saracens?
(a) They are hung.
(b) They are forced to work on the defense project in Rome.
(c) They are sent back to their home country.
(d) They are put in a dungeon.
4. Who burns the project in an attempt to hurt the Pope's role in Rome?
5. Which side wins the first battle?
(a) Lothar and Gerold.
(b) Ludwig and Gerold.
(c) Charles and Gerold.
(d) Charles and Ludwig.
6. What practice does Joan institute in the churches of Fulda that causes her to be punished for disobedience?
7. What conclusion does Joan reach when she comes to treat the Pope's illness in Chapter 20?
(a) He has a digestive disorder similar to diabetes.
(b) He has split personality brought on by excess alcohol.
(c) He has cancer.
(d) He has a personality disorder.
8. What does Joan do to treat the Pope's illness in Chapter 20?
(a) Places him on a diet and orders him to drink more wine.
(b) Gives him vitamins.
(c) Gives him herbal medication.
(d) Places him on a diet and forces him to exercise.
9. What item does Joan give to the daughter of her friend, Arn?
(a) Her rosary.
(b) Her St. Catherine medal.
(c) Her crucifix.
(d) Her monk robes.
10. To what position does the new Pope promote Joan?
11. What position in the church does Anastasius hope to one day achieve?
(c) Papal Librarian.
12. What law does Anastasius invoke at Gerold's trial in Chapter 29?
13. What punishment does the Pope give the person accused of starting the fire?
(b) Imprisonment in the dungeon.
14. To whom does Joan overhear Anastasius pledge loyalty?
(d) The Pope.
15. What punishment does Benedict receive for his crime?
(a) He is hanged.
(b) His hands are severed.
(c) He is banished from Rome.
(d) He is placed in the dungeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what crime is Gerold put on trial in Chapter 29?
2. Who takes advantage of the Pope's illness by exerting his power beyond the limits of his position as missus?
3. What penance does Joan offer the Pope after he confesses his sins?
4. What do the Saracens take from the basilica?
5. How does Joan attempt to treat her condition?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)