|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Richild tell Joan is behind the arranged marriage?
(b) Her father.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Her mother.
2. What decision has Brother Gottschalk made in regards to his stay at the monastery?
(a) Brother Gottschalk wants to leave the monastery.
(b) Brother Gottschalk wants to be married, but remain at the monastery as a civilian servant.
(c) Brother Gottschalk wants to devote his life to the monastery.
(d) Brother Gottschalk wants to visit his family for a year.
3. Who is Richild?
(a) Gerold's daughter.
(b) Gerold's cousin.
(c) Gerold's cold wife.
(d) Gerold's mother.
4. What advice does Gudrun give her daughter that Joan will recall all her life?
(a) Never let a man raise a hand to her.
(b) Never fall in love.
(c) Never depend on a man.
(d) Never allow her sex to hold her down.
5. What is the only way for Hrotrud to prove her innocence?
(a) To quit delivering babies.
(b) To confess.
(c) To drown.
(d) To swim.
6. What does a farrier do?
(a) Raises minks.
(b) Milks cows.
(c) Shoes horses.
(d) Makes fur coats.
7. Why was Joan's mother considered a heathen by her father?
(a) Because she was unfaithful.
(b) Because she once worshipped false gods.
(c) Because she taught her daughter to read.
(d) Because she refused to attend church.
8. What does Joan plan to do to avoid getting married?
(a) Run away with John.
(b) Request the help of the church council.
(c) Go home to her mother.
(d) Enlist the Bishop's support.
9. Why was Joan's role in history taken from the history books?
(a) Because she is female.
(b) Because she was not worth remembering.
(c) Because she was a cruel leader.
(d) Because she committed heinous crimes.
10. Who does their father blame for Matthew's death?
(a) His wife and John.
(b) John and God.
(c) Joan and his wife.
(d) Joan and John.
11. What is the Roman Lateran Palace?
(a) The home of the Pope.
(b) The home of the Lutheran bishop.
(c) The home of the Roman Emperor.
(d) The home of the Archbishop of Rome.
12. Who attacks the church during Joan's wedding?
13. For what reason does their father blame two people for the death of Matthew?
(a) They exposed him to an illness.
(b) They caused the wagon accident that killed him.
(c) They brought sin into the family.
(d) They caused the sword wound that killed him.
14. What happens when Joan and her companions arrive at the Bishop's palace?
(a) They are interviewed and invited to dinner.
(b) They are bathed and invited to dinner.
(c) They are jailed for bad behavior on the trip.
(d) They are immediately placed in the school dorms.
15. What happens during Anastasius' visit to the Roman Lateran Palace that he is forced to watch?
(a) The Pope is murdered by his own advisers.
(b) The Lutheran Bishop is murdered by Christian soldiers.
(c) The Roman Emperor is murdered by Norsemen.
(d) Theordorus is murdered by the papal militia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Richild force a servant to walk along side the wagons?
2. Who was Joan's tutor when she was a child?
3. What does Gerold find when he goes to the chapel in Villairis?
4. What does Joan show to her father in order to inspire him to allow her to take up Matthew's studies?
5. With whom does Joan fancy herself in love at the young age of thirteen?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)