|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Joan's tutor when she was a child?
2. What does a fortune teller tell Joan in Chapter 9?
(a) She will become a nun.
(b) She will become famous.
(c) She will marry a man she dislikes.
(d) She will have greatness and grief beyond belief.
3. Where has Joan been for the five years since her wedding?
(a) A monestary in Fulda.
(b) A convent in Rome.
(c) Living with her husband.
(d) Home with her parents.
4. What does Aesculapius promise Joan when he leaves?
(a) He will send another teacher to her.
(b) He will arrange for her to go to him.
(c) He will arrange for her to enter a better school.
(d) He will return for her.
5. Which saint does Joan admire?
(a) St. Elizabeth.
(b) St. Catherine.
(c) St. Agnes.
(d) St. Jude.
6. What situation did Joan's continued success in her education depend upon?
(a) Her ability to hide the truth of her education from her father.
(b) Her ability to pay her tuition.
(c) Her ability to hide the fact she was female.
(d) Her ability to heal lepers.
7. What does Joan show to her father in order to inspire him to allow her to take up Matthew's studies?
(a) That she can write.
(b) That she is smarter than John.
(c) That she can read.
(d) That she can draw better than John.
8. Why is Judith, wife of Viscount Waifar, turned away from the church even though she has waited the normal thirty days?
(a) She has no money to pay a donation.
(b) She is considered unclean.
(c) She has committed a crime.
(d) She refuses to bow to the male churchgoers.
9. Who is one of the instigators of torment against Joan?
(a) Her brother, Matthew.
(b) Her brother, John.
(c) Gerold's son, Anastasius.
10. What does Aesculapius give Joan when he leaves?
(a) A book of Homer.
(b) A book of poetry.
(c) A romantic novel.
(d) A Bible.
11. With whom does Joan fancy herself in love at the young age of thirteen?
(c) The Bishop.
12. What punishment does Gottschalk receive for his desires regarding his stay at the monastery?
(a) A week of bread and water.
(b) A bed of needles.
(c) A month of silence.
(d) A lashing that is so severe his ribs poke through his wounds.
13. What subject does Joan attempt to challenge her tester on in Chapter 7-8?
(a) The inferiority of women.
(b) The illogical punishments of the Church.
(c) The reality of the crucifixion.
(d) The existence of Jesus.
14. What does John steal from his father in Chapter 6?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A knife.
(d) A cross.
15. What job is Gerold assigned to do while away from his family?
(a) District judge or missus.
(b) Advisor to the emperor.
(c) General of the army.
(d) Bishop of a school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to test Joan on her Orthodox Theology knowledge upon her arrival at Dorstadt?
2. To what office is Joan eventually elected?
3. For what reason does Matthew feel they should hide these lessons from their father?
4. Who cares for Joan through her illness in Chapter 6?
5. What does Joan discover about white wolves simply by observing them?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)