|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Gerold make as he makes the journey home?
(a) That he wants to have another child.
(b) That he wants Joan to marry the farrier's son.
(c) That he wants to renew his marriage vows with Richild.
(d) That he wants to marry Joan.
2. How does Joan's father react to her display of intelligence in her attempts to allow her to take up Matthew's studies?
(a) He reminds her that females are not allowed to be educated.
(b) He calls her unnatural and blames her for Matthew's death.
(c) He sends her to school.
(d) He accuses her of killing Matthew in order to take his place in his studies.
3. What stipulation does Joan's father place on the Greek tutor before allowing him to teach Joan?
(a) He must not teach her Plato's logic.
(b) He must teach John as well.
(c) He must marry her first.
(d) He must take her away and never allow her to return.
4. With whom does Joan fancy herself in love at the young age of thirteen?
(b) The Bishop.
5. What advice does Gudrun give her daughter that Joan will recall all her life?
(a) Never let a man raise a hand to her.
(b) Never allow her sex to hold her down.
(c) Never depend on a man.
(d) Never fall in love.
6. For what reason do Anastasius and his father go to the Roman Lateran Palace?
(a) To visit the Lutheran Bishop.
(b) To visit Anastasius' Uncle Theordorus.
(c) To visit the landmarks of Rome.
(d) To visit the Pope.
7. Why is Aesculapius fired from the schola?
(a) For breaking a vow of celibacy.
(b) For teaching a female student.
(c) For inappropriate behavior with students.
(d) For his beliefs.
8. What happens during Anastasius' visit to the Roman Lateran Palace that he is forced to watch?
(a) The Roman Emperor is murdered by Norsemen.
(b) The Lutheran Bishop is murdered by Christian soldiers.
(c) Theordorus is murdered by the papal militia.
(d) The Pope is murdered by his own advisers.
9. What type of questions is Joan advised not to ask in Chapter 9?
(a) Questions about the Bishop and his lover.
(b) Heretical questions that question the basic tenents of their faith.
(c) Questions about Richild's behaviors.
(d) Questions about the life of Jesus.
10. Where does Joan travel to with Count Gerold and his family in Chapter 9?
(a) A family wedding in Rome.
(b) A church service in Ingleheim.
(c) A fair in St. Denis.
(d) A funeral in Venice.
11. Why does Odo, the school master, treat Joan badly?
(a) He feels she should work harder to make up for being female.
(b) He feels he cannot treat her with any amount of superiority.
(c) He feels she is not smart enough to be there and wants to prove it.
(d) He feels inferior to her intelligence.
12. Who comes to visit John of Anglicus at Fulda?
(d) The Canon of Ingleheim.
13. Who does Joan meet who argues that logic does not threaten faith?
14. What does Joan discover when she applies logic to Hrotrud's trial?
(a) Hrotrud was guilty.
(b) Hrotrud was innocent.
(c) It could have been handled differently.
(d) It could have been handled faster.
15. Which saint does Joan admire?
(a) St. Agnes.
(b) St. Catherine.
(c) St. Elizabeth.
(d) St. Jude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a leper?
2. Who does Gerold kill on the docks in a rage?
3. Who finds the survivor?
4. What subject does Joan attempt to challenge her tester on in Chapter 7-8?
5. In Chapter 15, what do the monks gather to do?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)