|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Hrotrud, the midwife, been put on trial?
(a) Hrotrud is accused of infidelity.
(b) Hrotrud is accused of socery.
(c) Hrotrud is accused of worshipping false gods.
(d) Hrotrud is accused of heresy.
2. What title did Joan's father hold?
(a) Cardinal of Ingleheim.
(b) Bishop of Ingleheim.
(c) Canon of Ingleheim.
(d) Priest of Ingleheim.
3. Who does their father blame for Matthew's death?
(a) John and God.
(b) Joan and his wife.
(c) His wife and John.
(d) Joan and John.
4. What job is Gerold assigned to do while away from his family?
(a) General of the army.
(b) Bishop of a school.
(c) District judge or missus.
(d) Advisor to the emperor.
5. For what reason does Matthew feel they should hide these lessons from their father?
(a) He would be disappointed in Joan's inability to learn quickly.
(b) He would make fun of tiny Joan.
(c) They want to surprise him.
(d) He would not approve.
6. What changes to her body does Joan not like?
(a) Joan dislikes that she has no breasts.
(b) Joan dislikes the growth of her breasts.
(c) Joan dislikes that the boys find her asexual.
(d) Joan dislikes the new curves at her waist and hips.
7. Who comes to visit John of Anglicus at Fulda?
(d) The Canon of Ingleheim.
8. Who was Joan's tutor when she was a child?
9. What happens to John and the emissary as they walk in the woods in Chapter 6?
(a) They attack an unarmed group of travelers.
(b) They are attacked by Norsemen.
(c) They decide to run away.
(d) They are attacked by a brigand.
10. Who sees Joan in an embrace with a married man at the end of Chapter 9?
(d) The Bishop.
11. What is Joan warned could happen to people who ask the wrong questions?
(a) She could be forced to prove her faith by drowning.
(b) She could be forced into an unwanted marriage.
(c) Some who ask heretical questions have been stoned.
(d) Some who ask such questions have disappeared.
12. What does Aesculapius promise Joan when he leaves?
(a) He will arrange for her to enter a better school.
(b) He will arrange for her to go to him.
(c) He will send another teacher to her.
(d) He will return for her.
13. To which members of the family is Joan closest?
(a) John and her father.
(b) Matthew and her mother.
(c) Matthew and John.
(d) Her mother and father.
14. What threat does Richild use to convince the Bishop to go along with the wedding?
(a) To expose his inability to read Latin.
(b) To expose his illigitimate children.
(c) To expose his paramours to the church council.
(d) To expose his affair with Joan.
15. What does the Bishop thinks of Joan's arranged married?
(a) He believes they should wait for Gerold's return.
(b) He believes permission should be granted by Joan's parents.
(c) He does not want to see his star pupil leave.
(d) He believes Joan should marry someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerold find when he goes to the chapel in Villairis?
2. Who does Richild tell Joan is behind the arranged marriage?
3. What does a farrier do?
4. What happens when Joan and her companions arrive at the Bishop's palace?
5. What decision does Gerold make as he makes the journey home?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)