|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerold buy for Joan during their trip in Chapter 9?
(a) Blueprints to a hydraulic device.
(b) Cotton candy.
(c) Blueprints to a motorized wagon.
(d) A new dress.
2. What advice does Gudrun give her daughter that Joan will recall all her life?
(a) Never allow her sex to hold her down.
(b) Never let a man raise a hand to her.
(c) Never depend on a man.
(d) Never fall in love.
3. How does Joan see her love for Gerold now that time has passed?
(a) Joan still holds on to it, hoping he will return to her.
(b) Joan sees love as a weakness in her human spirit.
(c) Joan sees it as an illness she will recover from.
(d) Joan sees Gerold as a fatherly-figure she mistook for a lover.
4. Who is Richild?
(a) Gerold's cousin.
(b) Gerold's cold wife.
(c) Gerold's mother.
(d) Gerold's daughter.
5. Who does Joan begin to teach and arranges to send to the abbey school?
(a) Arn, the son of the woman Joan cured.
(b) Gisla, Gerold's daughter.
(c) John, her brother.
(d) Matthew, her brother.
6. Why does Richild arrange a marriage for Joan?
(a) She believes Joan needs more structure in her life.
(b) To get her away from the other children in the school.
(c) To get her away from Gerold.
(d) Because she believes Joan is in love with her future husband.
7. For what reason does Joan admire this saint?
(a) For her humanity.
(b) For her courage.
(c) For her strength.
(d) For her knowledge.
8. Who does Joan meet who argues that logic does not threaten faith?
9. Where does Joan travel to with Count Gerold and his family in Chapter 9?
(a) A family wedding in Rome.
(b) A funeral in Venice.
(c) A fair in St. Denis.
(d) A church service in Ingleheim.
10. Who does Richild tell Joan is behind the arranged marriage?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The Bishop.
11. What changes to her body does Joan not like?
(a) Joan dislikes the growth of her breasts.
(b) Joan dislikes that she has no breasts.
(c) Joan dislikes that the boys find her asexual.
(d) Joan dislikes the new curves at her waist and hips.
12. What subject does Joan attempt to challenge her tester on in Chapter 7-8?
(a) The existence of Jesus.
(b) The reality of the crucifixion.
(c) The inferiority of women.
(d) The illogical punishments of the Church.
13. Who survives the attack in the woods and how?
(a) John, by using his father's knife.
(b) The emissary, due to his connection to the Bishop.
(c) The emissary by using a sword.
(d) John, by using one of his father's sermons to talk the attackers down.
14. What does John steal from his father in Chapter 6?
(a) A cross.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A knife.
15. What does Matthew give to Joan to celebrate her intelligence?
(a) A medal of her favorite saint.
(b) A new hairbrush.
(c) A new book.
(d) A new sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit John of Anglicus at Fulda?
2. What causes Joan to become ill in Chapter 6?
3. What type of questions is Joan advised not to ask in Chapter 9?
4. In Chapter 15, who offers punishment to the monks at Fulda?
5. What stipulation does Joan's father place on the Greek tutor before allowing him to teach Joan?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)