|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What languages does Joan hear at the palace that surprise her?
(a) Latin and French.
(b) English and French.
(c) Pagan languages as well as proper Latin.
(d) French and Spanish.
2. Why is Joan beaten unconscious by her father at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) Joan decides her father is too ignorant to explain the concepts in her gift from Aesculapius to her father.
(b) Joan refuses to allow her father to burn her gift from Aesculapius.
(c) Joan refuses to scrape the words from the pages of her gift from Aesculapius.
(d) Joan refuses to read her gift from Aesculapius to her father.
3. For what reason does Matthew feel they should hide these lessons from their father?
(a) He would not approve.
(b) They want to surprise him.
(c) He would be disappointed in Joan's inability to learn quickly.
(d) He would make fun of tiny Joan.
4. Who sees Joan in an embrace with a married man at the end of Chapter 9?
(c) The Bishop.
5. Why is it an insult to her mother for Joan to be tutored by a Catholic teacher?
(a) Because her mother should be her primary tutor.
(b) Because her mother was not consulted before Joan began her studies.
(c) Because her mother has taught her about Saxon gods, considered pagan by Catholics.
(d) Because her mother is uneducated and does not understand what Joan has learned.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does Joan admire this saint?
2. For what reason do Anastasius and his father go to the Roman Lateran Palace?
3. Who does Joan miss the most now that she is away from home?
4. What does Mathew begin to teach six-year-old Joan?
5. What is the name of the school Joan would eventually attend?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)