|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the underground want to lead the partisan group in the Forest of Szczek?
2. Who sits next to Franz Josef at the concert?
3. Who is Szymon's cellmate?
4. Where does Pilic live?
5. What is the name of the fourth castle that Feliks visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the pros and cons with the Germans deciding to open a new weapons testing facility near Bukowo?
2. Who does Wiktor Bukowski court in Vienna and how does he resolve the Bukowo situation as his important Vienna-based relationship progresses?
3. Explain how Beruta ends up with a list of traitors.
4. For what two reasons do the secret police investigate Wiktor Bukowski?
5. What becomes of Jan when the Stork Commandos return to their villages?
6. Discuss Szymon's life in his first concentration camp.
7. Explain the development of a middle class in Poland after World War I.
8. Who is Szymon Bukowski? Who are his parents?
9. What does Count Andrzej Lubonski tell Wiktor Bukowksi about a secret police report and what solution does Bukowski consider to help save his reputation?
10. Why won't Feliks ever marry into a magnate's family? Who explains this to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in the novel. How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in "Poland"? How is the information presented to the reader? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Szymon's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)