|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Bukowski when Lubonski sends him to Bukowo?
2. When is Poland's progress toward becoming a leading European nation halted?
3. What is Bukowksi arguing about when he challenges someone to a duel?
4. What is the name of the fourth castle that Feliks visits?
5. Who will Feliks' love from the fourth castle marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unusual situation with Janko Buk and the woman he courts while stationed in Bukowo?
2. Who does Wiktor Bukowski court in Vienna and how does he resolve the Bukowo situation as his important Vienna-based relationship progresses?
3. What is the daring raid the partisan carries out in Krakow? What encouraged them to do it?
4. For what two reasons do the secret police investigate Wiktor Bukowski?
5. What are the pros and cons with the Germans deciding to open a new weapons testing facility near Bukowo?
6. What is Wiktor Bukowski's secret and how does his wife deal with it when she learns about it?
7. What becomes of Jan when the Stork Commandos return to their villages?
8. Explain the development of a middle class in Poland after World War I.
9. Explain how Jadwiga Buk dies.
10. Explain how and when Poland "disappears."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe "Poland". Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Does the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in the book. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)