|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the fourth castle he visits, with whom does Feliks fall in love?
2. What is the name of the fourth castle that Feliks visits?
3. Who sneaks a peak through Ludwik's files and records the name of traitors?
4. Who does Bukowski invite to ride with him during a gala?
5. Who is the surprise revolutionary that gets a wedding proposal at Lubowski's party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the development of a middle class in Poland after World War I.
2. For what two reasons do the secret police investigate Wiktor Bukowski?
3. How does Szymon get his assignment changed at the concentration camp? What is his new job?
4. Explain how and when Poland "disappears."
5. What is the unusual situation with Janko Buk and the woman he courts while stationed in Bukowo?
6. Explain the situation in which Count Andrzej Lubonski challenges someone to a duel during his visit to Vienna in 1895?
7. What becomes of Jan when the Stork Commandos return to their villages?
8. What name does Szymon use when he joins Jan's Stork Commandos? What does Szymon do when the Russians begin the liberation of Poland?
9. What is the daring raid the partisan carries out in Krakow? What encouraged them to do it?
10. What does Count Andrzej Lubonski tell Wiktor Bukowksi about a secret police report and what solution does Bukowski consider to help save his reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in "Poland"? How is the information presented to the reader? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Janko Buk. Is he a major character or minor one? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story and be sure to include definitions of major and minor character.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to this novel, "Poland".
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)