|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who competes with Feliks for the woman he falls in love with at the fourth castle?
2. After dinner at the Polish music gala, who pulls out maps and begins a presentation?
3. After Poland is reunited, who moves back to Gorka and functions as an adviser to the Polish government?
4. At the fourth castle he visits, with whom does Feliks fall in love?
5. What familiar person arrives as a pianist to perform at the Polish music gala?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is SS Major Konrad Krumpf and where is he stationed?
2. Explain how and when Poland "disappears."
3. How does Szymon get his assignment changed at the concentration camp? What is his new job?
4. What becomes of Jan when the Stork Commandos return to their villages?
5. What does job proposal does Jadwiga make on behalf of her son?
6. For what two reasons do the secret police investigate Wiktor Bukowski?
7. Explain the situation in which Count Andrzej Lubonski challenges someone to a duel during his visit to Vienna in 1895?
8. Who does Feliks side with when there is conflict between Kosciuszko and Russia and why?
9. Discuss Szymon's life in his first concentration camp.
10. What is Wiktor Bukowski's secret and how does his wife deal with it when she learns about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Count Lubonski and Wiktor Bukowski as main characters of this novel. What is the definition of main character and how do these men fit it?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in "Poland"?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the antagonist in "Poland". Is the antagonist one person, a particular family, or several people in this novel? Is the antagonist consistent throughout the novel? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)