|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of the woman that Feliks falls in love with at the fourth castle?
2. Other than Bukowski, who else dreams of a unified Poland?
3. Who makes Krumpf burn the note cards with the traitors' names on them?
4. Who organizes a school in secrecy in order to continue educating the Polish children?
5. Who gives Buk a cottage and land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wiktor Bukowski object to his cousin's marriage announcement?
2. Who is SS Major Konrad Krumpf and where is he stationed?
3. What does Count Andrzej Lubonski tell Wiktor Bukowksi about a secret police report and what solution does Bukowski consider to help save his reputation?
4. Explain how Beruta ends up with a list of traitors.
5. Who is Szymon Bukowski? Who are his parents?
6. What kind of gala does Marjorie organize in 1918 and what is its social importance?
7. Explain how Jadwiga Buk dies.
8. Discuss Szymon's life in his first concentration camp.
9. What two things make Jan Buk reconsider his support for the Russians in World War II?
10. What becomes of Jan when the Stork Commandos return to their villages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the antagonist in "Poland". Is the antagonist one person, a particular family, or several people in this novel? Is the antagonist consistent throughout the novel? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Define exposition and discuss the exposition of this novel. What does the reader learn from the exposition in "Poland"? How is the information presented to the reader? Is the information consistent throughout the book or does it change? Explain your answer and reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Does the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay as well.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)