|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Castle Gorka located when Bukowo is under Austrian rule?
2. Who flees when the Mongols approach Krakow?
3. Whose tents were looted before nightfall in Vienna?
4. What is the name of the army that Polish king Jan Sobieski develops?
5. When Turkey and the Ottoman Empire begIn to expand in 1683, who does Germany, France, the Papal States, Hungary and Austria ask for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Polish reaction to the 1772 partition of Poland? Who has control of Bukowo?
2. Who is Catherine the Great and what is her plan for Poland?
3. Who is Tytus Bukowski and what is his accomplishment?
4. What is the topic of discussion Feliks and Roman have at Lancut? What prediction do they make regarding the topic of discussion?
5. How do Pawel and Janko get arrested on their spy mission and why do they want to be detained?
6. Who defeats the Swedes in Poland and how do they do it?
7. What is the dual purpose of Feliks' and Roman's tour of Poland?
8. When and where does the book open, and what special event begins the story?
9. How many people does Krzysztof save from the invading Mongolians and how does he do it?
10. Who is Lumbomirska and why is her character important in this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Szymon's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in "Poland"?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)