|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people barricade themselves in a church to avoid the Mongol attack?
2. Where is Castle Gorka located when Bukowo is under Austrian rule?
3. How long does the 1788 session of the Seym last?
4. Where do Cyprjan, Lukasz and Jan of the Beech Trees take position as they set up to defeat the Swedes?
5. When does the Seym introduce a new constitution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dual purpose of Feliks' and Roman's tour of Poland?
2. Who sends Pawel and Janko on a spy mission and why?
3. Who asks Poland for help when the Ottoman Empire begins to expand and why?
4. Who is Catherine the Great and what is her plan for Poland?
5. Who is Lumbomirska and why is her character important in this story?
6. Who are the Teutonic Knights? Who is their leader when they relocate to northern Poland in 1226?
7. Explain how Vuldai becomes a member of the Ghengis Kahn's army.
8. Who is Tytus Bukowski and what is his accomplishment?
9. Who defeats the Swedes in Poland and how do they do it?
10. When and where does the book open, and what special event begins the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar? Also relate the differences and similarities specifically to this novel, "Poland".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's writing experience and his successes of this book and others.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of "Poland"? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)