|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Catherine the Great became Empress of Russia?
2. What name does Cyprjan when he stops using the name Gorka?
3. What is the season at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the name of the army that Polish king Jan Sobieski develops?
5. What kind of necklace does one of her Mniszech relatives place on Barbara to wear at the banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lumbomirska and why is her character important in this story?
2. Who is Tytus Bukowski and what is his accomplishment?
3. What complaint do the farmers make at the beginning of the book?
4. How do Pawel and Janko get arrested on their spy mission and why do they want to be detained?
5. Who asks Poland for help when the Ottoman Empire begins to expand and why?
6. What is the Polish reaction to the 1772 partition of Poland? Who has control of Bukowo?
7. Who are Feliks and Roman and what is typical about them?
8. What is the purpose of Magistrate Cyperjan's banquet held at Castle Gorka? Why is the event held there?
9. Why was Poland taken so easily by the Tartars?
10. What happens to the Ukrainian areas of Poland when the Cossacks revolt in 1648? What impedes the rebuilding process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term flashback as it applies to literature. How are flashbacks used in "Poland"?
Essay Topic 2
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Szymon's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss the antagonist in "Poland". Is the antagonist one person, a particular family, or several people in this novel? Is the antagonist consistent throughout the novel? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)