|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kahn's death, who is sent to conquer Poland, Hungary and Russia?
2. Who looted the tents in Vienna just before nightfall?
3. Who goes to Vienna in Jan's place when he is too sick to go?
4. Who runs to the village announcing the arrival of the Mongols in 1241?
5. What is the Polish parliament called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Han give to his wife? How and why does she react?
2. What happens to the Ukrainian areas of Poland when the Cossacks revolt in 1648? What impedes the rebuilding process?
3. Explain how Vuldai becomes a member of the Ghengis Kahn's army.
4. What was the Polish government like in the thirteenth century and why?
5. What is the outcome of the Polish fighting the Turks in Vienna? What crops are introduced to Poland because of the war?
6. What color cord does Mustafa wear around his neck and what is its significance?
7. What is the topic of discussion Feliks and Roman have at Lancut? What prediction do they make regarding the topic of discussion?
8. Who defeats the Swedes in Poland and how do they do it?
9. Why was Poland taken so easily by the Tartars?
10. What is the dual purpose of Feliks' and Roman's tour of Poland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Szymon's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Feliks and Roman as minor characters in "Poland".
Essay Topic 3
What is a genre? Discuss both the genre and sub-genre categories that best describe "Poland". Explain your answers.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)