|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color cord does the Turkish commander wear around his neck when the Polish arrive in Vienna?
2. What does Barbara have to bake as part of her wedding ritual?
3. Who flees when the Mongols approach Krakow?
(a) The duke.
(b) The prince.
(c) The queen.
(d) The bishop.
4. Where does Bukowski go when the meeting between the Communist Party and and protesters is dismissed?
(a) To Castle Bukowski.
(b) To meet Buk's mother.
(c) To Warsaw.
(d) To Castle Gorka.
5. How many days does Barbara's wedding last?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Granickis?
2. To whom do the reporters at the meeting between the Communist Party and protesters wish to speak?
3. At the meeting between the Communist Party and the protesters, what do Buk and Bykowski find that they have a common?
4. Where do Cyprjan, Lukasz and Jan of the Beech Trees take position as they set up to defeat the Swedes?
5. Who is the count of Bukowo under the Austrian rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Szymon Bukowski's role in the special event the beginning of the book?
2. What happens to the Ukrainian areas of Poland when the Cossacks revolt in 1648? What impedes the rebuilding process?
3. How do Pawel and Janko get arrested on their spy mission and why do they want to be detained?
4. What is the Polish reaction to the 1772 partition of Poland? Who has control of Bukowo?
5. When and where does the book open, and what special event begins the story?
6. What complaint do the farmers make at the beginning of the book?
7. What gift does Han give to his wife? How and why does she react?
8. Who is Tytus Bukowski and what is his accomplishment?
9. Who is Lumbomirska and why is her character important in this story?
10. Who are the Teutonic Knights? Who is their leader when they relocate to northern Poland in 1226?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)