|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Prime Minister was scheduled to drive to which location after leaving London?
2. What time of day did Davenheim set off on his journey?
3. Poirot suggests that the deaths might be due to which of the following?
4. What item was found coating the slides on the drawer containing the necklace in the woman's room?
5. What was the surname of the man caught while trying to pawn merchandise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the crux of the case Poirot takes on in "The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb?"
2. The case involves an incident at Davenheim's bank. What happened and what was taken?
3. What information does Poirot learn about Daniels? Which family members are included in the information?
4. What is one of the first thoughts that crosses Poirot's mind while observing the hotel guests?
5. Captain Hastings and Poirot decide to take a short trip to get a change of scenery. Where do they go and what is the first thing they do upon arrival?
6. Who approaches Poirot and Hastings while they are talking about peace negotiations? Who is the main character in the discussion?
7. What happens in the opening scene of the story? Who visits Poirot?
8. How was the murder scene set up by the killer? What did the killer forget to do?
9. What actions did Davenheim/Kellet take to keep the police and others from searching for him after the robbery?
10. Who is the first alleged guest to be interviewed by Poirot? What happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Million Dollar Bond Robbery" Poirot must solve the case of the stolen Liberty Bonds. The bonds were issued by the London and Scottish Bank under the watchful eyes of Mr. Vavasour and Mr. Shaw. The bonds were to be taken to New York as part of a bank transaction. Discuss the case, the purpose of the theft and potential uses of the bonds. Answer the following questions: What are bearer bonds? Why might they be an important item to steal? Why would the London and Scottish Bank entrust the bonds to Ridgeway for transport? Why were the bonds transported in that manner instead of a courier service? How were the bonds stored while in transit? Explain at least two ways in which the bonds might have been stolen from Ridgeway and who might be involved in the theft.
Essay Topic 2
Scotland Yard plays a prominent part in the majority of Agatha Christie's mysteries. Choose one of the following activities in relation to Scotland Yard: Research and write a 1000 word essay on the history and purpose of Scotland Yard. Also include a list of some of the mysteries Scotland Yard appears in and how it played a part in the solving of the mystery. The second choice is to investigate at least five top cases investigated by Scotland Yard, the details, and how the specialized knowledge of the famed police force was used in solving the crimes.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Kidnapped Prime Minister" Poirot must save Britain's Prime Minister for a second time. Explain how Poirot saved the Prime Minister on both occasions. What is so important about the Prime Minister? What are the duties of the Prime Minister? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and the Queen? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and Parliament? The kidnappers want to keep the Prime Minister from appearing at what event? Why is the event so important? What can Poirot do to help? What are the steps taken in the case to solve the puzzle?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)