|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Prime Minister's chauffeur?
2. What type of crime was attempted against the Prime Minister at that time?
3. Mr. Davenheim disappeared at what location?
4. Which is not among the group of people met by Poirot at Scotland Yard?
5. During what major event did Poirot get involved in a mission to save the Prime Minister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the first thoughts that crosses Poirot's mind while observing the hotel guests?
2. Captain Hastings and Poirot decide to take a short trip to get a change of scenery. Where do they go and what is the first thing they do upon arrival?
3. What is Poirot's theory on how the crime occurred? Who was responsible?
4. What information does Poirot learn about Daniels? Which family members are included in the information?
5. In addition to needing to know the truth about her husband's death, what other reason does Lady Williard have for wanting answers?
6. How was the murder scene set up by the killer? What did the killer forget to do?
7. Who is the first alleged guest to be interviewed by Poirot? What happened?
8. What is the crux of the case Poirot takes on in "The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb?"
9. What seems to be the most difficult part of the trip for Poirot?
10. Explain the occurrence that happened the night before the scheduled trip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb," Poirot is faced with four deaths at an excavation site, supposedly attributable to a curse on the tomb of King Men-her-Ra. Examine in detail the history of the cursed tombs and various related incidents. When was the first death that was allegedly credited to a curse? Where did it take place? Who was involved? What kinds of mishaps have occurred at the scene of various excavations throughout Egypt? How else could the incidents be explained? How many excavations have supposedly been cursed? Whose tombs were they? Explain the tombs in as much detail as possible along with their inhabitants and final outcome.
Essay Topic 2
Captain Hastings is a staple in the stories contained in POIROT INVESTIGATES. What is the history of Captain Hastings? How does he know Poirot? In what capacity can Hastings call himself a captain? What is Hastings' profession? What benefit is there to having Hastings in the story from Christie's point of view? What benefit is there to having Hastings in the story from Poirot's point of view? Name and describe at least three instances where Hastings' presence was invaluable to Poirot. How might Poirot have solved the cases without the help of Hastings? Who else served in the same capacity as the captain?
Essay Topic 3
Agatha Christie is fond of creating alter egos and false identities for her characters. From a writer's point of view, what would be the purpose of this technique? Is it possible for the reader to unravel the mystery using the clues given by Christie and Poirot? Explain. Create a detailed alter ego for yourself as it might appear in one of Christie's mysteries.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)