|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Poirot go after he and Hastings leave the Grand Metropolitan?
2. Which of the following was not among the items stolen from Davenheim?
3. Whose tomb was being excavated at the time of the deaths?
4. What is the only thing that was not eaten by the dead man's guests?
5. What item did the maid go into her room to retrieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Poirot's initial thoughts on the case?
2. The two men ask Poirot to help find the Prime Minister who has been kidnapped. Where was the Prime Minister going when the kidnapping occurred? What was the original travel plan?
3. Who was supposedly visiting the count? What was overheard by Foscatini's valet?
4. What is the crux of the case Poirot takes on in "The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb?"
5. What information does Poirot learn about Daniels? Which family members are included in the information?
6. What happens to cause the woman a great deal of emotional distress?
7. What actually happened to the Prime Minister? Who was responsible?
8. In addition to needing to know the truth about her husband's death, what other reason does Lady Williard have for wanting answers?
9. What actions did Davenheim/Kellet take to keep the police and others from searching for him after the robbery?
10. The case involves an incident at Davenheim's bank. What happened and what was taken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan" police must conduct a crime scene investigation at the site of the theft of Mrs. Opalsen's necklace. Describe in detail how the investigation was carried out and how the police missed an important item. Compare and contrast the methods used in the story to modern day crime scene investigation techniques. What are the biggest advancements? Are there cases in which the "old school" ways are better? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In several instances throughout the book, criminals have taken great pains to attempt to distract Poirot. Why would the criminals attempt to throw Poirot off the trail? Does it work? Write a 100 word essay or short story from the point of view of a criminal that is trying to distract and mislead Poirot. Develop an entire crime and the attempts to mislead. Also include the outcome and how Poirot always prevails.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Kidnapped Prime Minister" Poirot must save Britain's Prime Minister for a second time. Explain how Poirot saved the Prime Minister on both occasions. What is so important about the Prime Minister? What are the duties of the Prime Minister? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and the Queen? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and Parliament? The kidnappers want to keep the Prime Minister from appearing at what event? Why is the event so important? What can Poirot do to help? What are the steps taken in the case to solve the puzzle?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)