|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the most recent victim in the story?
2. What mistake did the thieves make at the scene of the crime?
3. Up to this point in the story, how many deaths have there been?
4. Who had just made a phone call to the doctor's residence?
5. Working on a hunch Poirot tricks the would-be thieves into giving up what item?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Poirot, Captain Hastings and Dr. Hawker arrive at Count Foscatini's place?
2. What information does Poirot learn about Daniels? Which family members are included in the information?
3. Captain Daniels had been found by the police. Where was Daniels and in what condition was the Captain?
4. The two men ask Poirot to help find the Prime Minister who has been kidnapped. Where was the Prime Minister going when the kidnapping occurred? What was the original travel plan?
5. Who is the first alleged guest to be interviewed by Poirot? What happened?
6. In addition to needing to know the truth about her husband's death, what other reason does Lady Williard have for wanting answers?
7. What was Poirot's conclusion about the theft and who committed the crime?
8. What is one of the first thoughts that crosses Poirot's mind while observing the hotel guests?
9. What is Poirot's theory on how the crime occurred? Who was responsible?
10. Who was supposedly visiting the count? What was overheard by Foscatini's valet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inspector Japp is always attempting to keep up with Poirot or even exceed the Belgian detective's crime solving skills. Unfortunately, Japp is always at least one step behind Poirot. Compare and contrast Inspector Japp and Hercule Poirot, their skill set, and successes in solving crimes.
Essay Topic 2
Miss Mary Marvell approaches Poirot with an unusual problem, claiming that there is a curse of sorts on her prized diamond. What is the name of the diamond and its companion piece? Discuss the so-called curse on the diamond. What is unusual about the diamond to begin with? To whom did the diamonds originally belong? What is supposed to be done with the diamonds in order to remove the curse? What is Poirot supposed to accomplish by investigating the case? How does Poirot solve the case?
Essay Topic 3
In several instances throughout the book, criminals have taken great pains to attempt to distract Poirot. Why would the criminals attempt to throw Poirot off the trail? Does it work? Write a 100 word essay or short story from the point of view of a criminal that is trying to distract and mislead Poirot. Develop an entire crime and the attempts to mislead. Also include the outcome and how Poirot always prevails.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)