|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of poison was being discussed by Poirot and Hastings?
2. What are the surnames of Daniels' two aunts?
3. During what major event did Poirot get involved in a mission to save the Prime Minister?
4. Which character died from heart poisoning only two weeks later?
5. What item is given to Poirot with the hopes of poisoning the great detective?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Poirot and Hastings learn about the official cause of the most recent victim? Who gave the men the news?
2. How was the murder scene set up by the killer? What did the killer forget to do?
3. Captain Hastings and Poirot decide to take a short trip to get a change of scenery. Where do they go and what is the first thing they do upon arrival?
4. What is unusual about Poirot's initial thoughts on the case?
5. What actually happened to the Prime Minister? Who was responsible?
6. Where did the maid go when she left the room with the chambermaid inside?
7. The case involves an incident at Davenheim's bank. What happened and what was taken?
8. What happens when Poirot, Captain Hastings and Dr. Hawker arrive at Count Foscatini's place?
9. Who approaches Poirot and Hastings while they are talking about peace negotiations? Who is the main character in the discussion?
10. What is one of the first thoughts that crosses Poirot's mind while observing the hotel guests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Kidnapped Prime Minister" Poirot must save Britain's Prime Minister for a second time. Explain how Poirot saved the Prime Minister on both occasions. What is so important about the Prime Minister? What are the duties of the Prime Minister? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and the Queen? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and Parliament? The kidnappers want to keep the Prime Minister from appearing at what event? Why is the event so important? What can Poirot do to help? What are the steps taken in the case to solve the puzzle?
Essay Topic 2
In many mysteries, blackmail is a common theme. What is blackmail? How does blackmail compare to extortion? Give examples of each. In which ways was blackmail used throughout "Poirot Investigates?" How was Poirot able to uncover the scheme and who was behind it? What might have happened if Poirot had not been able to uncover the truth about the blackmail plot? List at least three examples of blackmail used throughout Christie's stories. Give details, purpose and resolution.
Essay Topic 3
In several instances throughout the book, criminals have taken great pains to attempt to distract Poirot. Why would the criminals attempt to throw Poirot off the trail? Does it work? Write a 100 word essay or short story from the point of view of a criminal that is trying to distract and mislead Poirot. Develop an entire crime and the attempts to mislead. Also include the outcome and how Poirot always prevails.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)