|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the upcoming event scheduled to be held?
2. Where was the Prime Minister shot and grazed by a bullet?
3. Who receives credit for solving the case of the missing jewels?
4. What was the name of the man who committed suicide in New York?
5. Who was the most recent victim in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to needing to know the truth about her husband's death, what other reason does Lady Williard have for wanting answers?
2. What is unusual about Poirot's initial thoughts on the case?
3. The two men ask Poirot to help find the Prime Minister who has been kidnapped. Where was the Prime Minister going when the kidnapping occurred? What was the original travel plan?
4. What happens when Poirot, Captain Hastings and Dr. Hawker arrive at Count Foscatini's place?
5. Who was supposedly visiting the count? What was overheard by Foscatini's valet?
6. Who approaches Poirot and Hastings while they are talking about peace negotiations? Who is the main character in the discussion?
7. How was the murder scene set up by the killer? What did the killer forget to do?
8. Who is the first alleged guest to be interviewed by Poirot? What happened?
9. What was Poirot's conclusion about the theft and who committed the crime?
10. Poirot verifies the deaths with Dr. Ames, physician at the tomb's excavation. What were the causes of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agatha Christie is fond of creating alter egos and false identities for her characters. From a writer's point of view, what would be the purpose of this technique? Is it possible for the reader to unravel the mystery using the clues given by Christie and Poirot? Explain. Create a detailed alter ego for yourself as it might appear in one of Christie's mysteries.
Essay Topic 2
Inspector Japp is always attempting to keep up with Poirot or even exceed the Belgian detective's crime solving skills. Unfortunately, Japp is always at least one step behind Poirot. Compare and contrast Inspector Japp and Hercule Poirot, their skill set, and successes in solving crimes.
Essay Topic 3
In many mysteries, blackmail is a common theme. What is blackmail? How does blackmail compare to extortion? Give examples of each. In which ways was blackmail used throughout "Poirot Investigates?" How was Poirot able to uncover the scheme and who was behind it? What might have happened if Poirot had not been able to uncover the truth about the blackmail plot? List at least three examples of blackmail used throughout Christie's stories. Give details, purpose and resolution.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)