|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the surname of the dead man's valet?
2. What is the title of the person making the phone call?
3. Where was the upcoming event scheduled to be held?
4. Where was the Prime Minister shot and grazed by a bullet?
5. What item is given to Poirot with the hopes of poisoning the great detective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Captain Hastings and Poirot decide to take a short trip to get a change of scenery. Where do they go and what is the first thing they do upon arrival?
2. Who is the first couple Poirot and Hastings meet? The woman is the proud owner of what kind of items?
3. How was the murder scene set up by the killer? What did the killer forget to do?
4. Who approaches Poirot and Hastings while they are talking about peace negotiations? Who is the main character in the discussion?
5. What happens when Poirot, Captain Hastings and Dr. Hawker arrive at Count Foscatini's place?
6. Where did the maid go when she left the room with the chambermaid inside?
7. What is the crux of the case Poirot takes on in "The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb?"
8. What information does Poirot learn about Daniels? Which family members are included in the information?
9. What is one of the first thoughts that crosses Poirot's mind while observing the hotel guests?
10. What happens to cause the woman a great deal of emotional distress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Agatha Christie's mysteries there are almost always staff members or servants of some kind. This is especially important in "The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan." Examine how servants played an important role in the lives of the characters as well as in the stories. Why does Christie use this method of introducing characters? Is the use of servants a part of every day life for this type of main characters or are they used to distract the reader? In murder mysteries servants are often used as scapegoats. Is this an accurate portrayal? What is required of the servants upon being employed? Is the employer's level of trust given automatically or does it have to be earned?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Adventure of the Cheap Flat" Poirot must solve the case of the stolen naval papers from the United States government. Discuss the theft and how it might have been executed. Answer the following questions: What are naval papers and what might they contain? From which agency and location were the naval bonds stolen? How might a person get into a high security facility to steal important documents? How would they be smuggled out of the country? For what purpose were the bonds stolen? Who might have wanted the naval papers? What became of the papers in the end?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Kidnapped Prime Minister" Poirot must save Britain's Prime Minister for a second time. Explain how Poirot saved the Prime Minister on both occasions. What is so important about the Prime Minister? What are the duties of the Prime Minister? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and the Queen? What is the relationship between the Prime Minister and Parliament? The kidnappers want to keep the Prime Minister from appearing at what event? Why is the event so important? What can Poirot do to help? What are the steps taken in the case to solve the puzzle?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)