|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poirot sent the would-be evidence from the couple's room to which location?
2. What is the name of the doctor on staff at the excavation?
3. Where does Poirot go after he and Hastings leave the Grand Metropolitan?
4. During what major event did Poirot get involved in a mission to save the Prime Minister?
5. Which Williard is still on the scene of the excavation when Poirot arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Poirot's initial thoughts on the case?
2. The case involves an incident at Davenheim's bank. What happened and what was taken?
3. In addition to needing to know the truth about her husband's death, what other reason does Lady Williard have for wanting answers?
4. Where did the maid go when she left the room with the chambermaid inside?
5. What actually happened to the Prime Minister? Who was responsible?
6. What happens to cause the woman a great deal of emotional distress?
7. Captain Daniels had been found by the police. Where was Daniels and in what condition was the Captain?
8. The two men ask Poirot to help find the Prime Minister who has been kidnapped. Where was the Prime Minister going when the kidnapping occurred? What was the original travel plan?
9. How was the murder scene set up by the killer? What did the killer forget to do?
10. What happens in the opening scene of the story? Who visits Poirot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Captain Hastings is a staple in the stories contained in POIROT INVESTIGATES. What is the history of Captain Hastings? How does he know Poirot? In what capacity can Hastings call himself a captain? What is Hastings' profession? What benefit is there to having Hastings in the story from Christie's point of view? What benefit is there to having Hastings in the story from Poirot's point of view? Name and describe at least three instances where Hastings' presence was invaluable to Poirot. How might Poirot have solved the cases without the help of Hastings? Who else served in the same capacity as the captain?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Million Dollar Bond Robbery" Poirot must solve the case of the stolen Liberty Bonds. The bonds were issued by the London and Scottish Bank under the watchful eyes of Mr. Vavasour and Mr. Shaw. The bonds were to be taken to New York as part of a bank transaction. Discuss the case, the purpose of the theft and potential uses of the bonds. Answer the following questions: What are bearer bonds? Why might they be an important item to steal? Why would the London and Scottish Bank entrust the bonds to Ridgeway for transport? Why were the bonds transported in that manner instead of a courier service? How were the bonds stored while in transit? Explain at least two ways in which the bonds might have been stolen from Ridgeway and who might be involved in the theft.
Essay Topic 3
In several instances throughout the book, criminals have taken great pains to attempt to distract Poirot. Why would the criminals attempt to throw Poirot off the trail? Does it work? Write a 100 word essay or short story from the point of view of a criminal that is trying to distract and mislead Poirot. Develop an entire crime and the attempts to mislead. Also include the outcome and how Poirot always prevails.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)