|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the context of poetry, Aristotle explains that rhythm is used in the form of a what?
2. How does Aristotle define "Recognition"?
3. What two things does Aristotle require to be present in a well-written story?
4. What type of action does Aristotle say occurs without "Recognition" or "Reversal of Situation"?
5. Aristotle says what type of poetry imitates the "lower" types of men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aristotle say about the the beginning and end of a tragic plot?
2. What does Aristotle say about the actions described in a tragic plot?
3. According to Aristotle, what is an example of a poor type of story and why?
4. According to Aristotle, different types of poetry emerge from the personalities of different types of men. What are two examples Aristotle gives in relationship to personality of men and types of poetry?
5. Based on Section I of Aristotle's "Poetics", how is the medium specific to poetry similar to and different from prose?
6. How does Aristotle say that poetry differs from history?
7. Aristotle explains that the object which poetry portrays is men in action. How may poets differ in how they represent these men?
8. What does Aristotle say about plot in tragedy?
9. Aristotle points out that good poets may also write episodic stories. What reason does he give?
10. Whom does Aristotle say favors episodic, as opposed to epic, storytelling and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1) Explain why men are drawn to write poetry based on Aristotle's "Poetics".
2) Explain how different types of poetry emerged based on Aristotle's "Poetics".
3) Compare comedy, tragedy, and epic poetry through the teachings of Aristotle.
Essay Topic 2
Aristotle explains that poetry can have errors in two ways.
1) Explain these two types of errors.
2) Provide an example of each type of error.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Discuss epic poetry and the ways in which it's similar to and different from tragic poetry, as Aristotle explains.
2) Explain "heroic" meter, when it's used and why it's important based on what you learned from "Poetics".
3) Discuss the essence of poetry and poetic charm through Aristotle's teachings.
4) Compare two forms of art: the more refined and the less refined. Explain why Aristotle prefers one to the other.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)