|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The plot, as Aristotle explains, should be unified in such a way that each part should be what?
2. Aristotle says that storytelling with episodic plots is to be favored by whom?
3. What does Aristotle identify as the foundation of good poetry writing?
4. How does Aristotle define "Recognition"?
5. Aristotle says what type of poetry imitates the "lower" types of men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aristotle explains that the object which poetry portrays is men in action. How may poets differ in how they represent these men?
2. Is the unity of plot the same as the unity of a character's actions? Explain.
3. What does Aristotle say the goal of tragedy is and how does he say good poetry accomplish this goal?
4. Based on Section I of Aristotle's "Poetics", how is the medium specific to poetry similar to and different from prose?
5. Based on Aristotle's teachings, what does it mean when a plot is unified?
6. Whom does Aristotle say favors episodic, as opposed to epic, storytelling and why?
7. How does Aristotle classify or divide actions? Explain.
8. What does Aristotle say about the actions described in a tragic plot?
9. What does Aristotle say about plot in tragedy?
10. According to Aristotle, what is an example of a poor type of story and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aristotle teaches through "Poetics" that poets may use words metaphorically, and he explains that this is done in many ways.
1) Explain various ways in which a character uses words metaphorically.
2) Differentiate between various forms of metaphors.
3) Provide examples of how Aristotle says Homer's "Iliad" uses metaphors.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following options to write about:
1) Discuss "Recognition" as defined by Aristotle and provide an example from "Poetics".
2) Discuss "Reversal of Situation" as defined by Aristotle and provide an example from "Poetics".
3) Based on Aristotle's teachings, explain how complex actions may effectively uses these devices.
Essay Topic 3
Aristotle teaches that the plot device of recognition can be divided into several kinds.
1) What types of recognition exist in tragedy?
2) What is the most effective form of recognition and why?
3) What is the least effective form of recognition and why?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)