|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle explains that tragedy is not only concerned with the depiction of just any action, but of actions that inspire what?
2. What type of story does Aristotle define as "episodic"?
3. What is one of the requirements Aristotle mentions for a good tragic plot?
4. In order for a plot to be truly effective in achieving the desired emotional response from its readers or audience, Aristotle says that the poet must do what?
5. According to Aristotle, how should the plot of a well-written tragedy be structured?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aristotle classify or divide actions? Explain.
2. What does Aristotle say about the actions described in a tragic plot?
3. What does Aristotle say about plot in tragedy?
4. According to Aristotle, how does the method of imitation differ?
5. Is the unity of plot the same as the unity of a character's actions? Explain.
6. Based on Aristotle's teachings, what does it mean when a plot is unified?
7. How does Aristotle define tragedy as a type of poetry?
8. According to Aristotle, what is an example of a poor type of story and why?
9. How does Aristotle differentiate the arts from one another?
10. Whom does Aristotle say favors episodic, as opposed to epic, storytelling and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) From "Poetics", discuss actions, including the definition of action, characteristics of action, how actions affect the plot, and what types of actions Aristotle considers more impressive over other types.
2) From "Poetics", discuss main character depiction, including how one should pick a main character, the characteristics that a main character should have and provide some examples to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1) Explain why men are drawn to write poetry based on Aristotle's "Poetics".
2) Explain how different types of poetry emerged based on Aristotle's "Poetics".
3) Compare comedy, tragedy, and epic poetry through the teachings of Aristotle.
Essay Topic 3
Based on Aristotle's teachings, with what type of actions does tragedy concern itself? How does tragedy accomplish its goals of inspiring certain emotions in the audience? What is the foundation of good poetry writing according to Aristotle?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)