|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a poet presents the poem in the voice of one of the characters, what method does Aristotle say that the poet is using?
2. In art, Aristotle defines the medium as what?
3. What, as Aristotle states, are good poets forced to do when they write stories with episodic plots?
4. Aristotle states that poetry depicts what?
5. According to Aristotle, how should the plot of a well-written tragedy be structured?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aristotle define comedy as a type of poetry?
2. Is the unity of plot the same as the unity of a character's actions? Explain.
3. Aristotle explains that the object which poetry portrays is men in action. How may poets differ in how they represent these men?
4. According to Aristotle, different types of poetry emerge from the personalities of different types of men. What are two examples Aristotle gives in relationship to personality of men and types of poetry?
5. Based on Aristotle's teachings, what does it mean when a plot is unified?
6. How does Aristotle say that poetry differs from history?
7. How does Aristotle classify or divide actions? Explain.
8. What does Aristotle say about plot in tragedy?
9. According to Aristotle, what is an example of a poor type of story and why?
10. What are two reasons Aristotle says that men are drawn to write poetry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) From "Poetics", discuss actions, including the definition of action, characteristics of action, how actions affect the plot, and what types of actions Aristotle considers more impressive over other types.
2) From "Poetics", discuss main character depiction, including how one should pick a main character, the characteristics that a main character should have and provide some examples to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Like any art, poetry is a kind of imitation, as Aristotle asserts. Aristotle differentiates arts from one another in three ways: medium, the objects, and the manner of imitation.
1) Define the three ways in which art is differentiated.
2) Compare poetry to prose.
3) Give an example of how poets may differ in how they represent the objects.
Essay Topic 3
When constructing the plot, Aristotle says that the poet ought to do what first and why? When should the poet begin to fill out the individual episodes and scenes of the story? Why is it important to construct the plot in this way?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)