Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle explains that the medium specific to poetry is one that uses what?
2. What two things does Aristotle require to be present in a well-written story?
3. Into what two types does Aristotle divide actions?
4. What does Aristotle call the individual episodes of a story with an episodic plot?
5. The object poetry portrays is what, according to Aristotle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aristotle differentiate epic poetry from tragic poetry?
2. Give an example that Aristotle provides in "Poetics" of a failed action where the character of a tragic story was aware of the circumstances then failed to follow through.
3. What does Aristotle identify as the most successful kind of action in a tragedy and why?
4. How does Aristotle classify or divide actions? Explain.
5. Based on "Poetics" by Aristotle, explain how the effect of a sad plot will be magnified?
6. What does Aristotle say the goal of tragedy is and how does he say good poetry accomplish this goal?
7. What common mistake does Aristotle identify concerning poets who write about history?
8. According to Aristotle, how does the method of imitation differ?
9. Based on "Poetics" by Aristotle, how does Homer in his "Iliad" accomplish a great example of how one can take even a historical event and reduce and organize it into a simple and elegant story?
10. What does Aristotle say about the actions described in a tragic plot?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the three options to write about:
1) Explain why men are drawn to write poetry based on Aristotle's "Poetics".
2) Explain how different types of poetry emerged based on Aristotle's "Poetics".
3) Compare comedy, tragedy, and epic poetry through the teachings of Aristotle.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) From "Poetics", discuss actions, including the definition of action, characteristics of action, how actions affect the plot, and what types of actions Aristotle considers more impressive over other types.
2) From "Poetics", discuss main character depiction, including how one should pick a main character, the characteristics that a main character should have and provide some examples to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Aristotle teaches that the plot device of recognition can be divided into several kinds.
1) What types of recognition exist in tragedy?
2) What is the most effective form of recognition and why?
3) What is the least effective form of recognition and why?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)