|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aristotle says that at most, episodic plots involve what?
(a) Sad middle and happy ending.
(b) Disconnected foreshadowing.
(c) The same characters.
(d) Strange irony.
2. Into what two types does Aristotle divide actions?
(a) Happy and sad.
(b) Congruent and incongruent.
(c) Simple and complex.
(d) Good and bad.
3. Aristotle explains that the medium specific to poetry is one that uses what?
(a) Words and pictures.
(d) Language alone.
4. Aristotle says that storytelling with episodic plots is to be favored by whom?
(a) No one.
(b) Poor poets.
5. Aristotle defines poetic work as what?
(a) A spiritual journey.
(b) A love affair.
(c) A philosophical undertaking.
(d) A bad imitation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aristotle say the different types of poetry emerged?
2. Per Aristotle, the unity of plot is what to the unity of a character's actions?
3. According to Aristotle, how does tragedy achieve the emotion it inspires?
4. What does Aristotle identify as the foundation of good poetry writing?
5. The object poetry portrays is what, according to Aristotle?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Aristotle, different types of poetry emerge from the personalities of different types of men. What are two examples Aristotle gives in relationship to personality of men and types of poetry?
2. Why does Aristotle consider poetic work to be a philosophical undertaking, and, therefore, a higher pursuit than history, which is concerned simply with facts?
3. How does Aristotle say that poetry differs from history?
4. Based on Aristotle's teachings, what does it mean when a plot is unified?
5. How does Aristotle classify or divide actions? Explain.
6. Based on Section I of Aristotle's "Poetics", how is the medium specific to poetry similar to and different from prose?
7. What does Aristotle say about plot in tragedy?
8. What are two reasons Aristotle says that men are drawn to write poetry?
9. Whom does Aristotle say favors episodic, as opposed to epic, storytelling and why?
10. What does Aristotle say about the actions described in a tragic plot?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)