|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aristotle explains that the medium specific to poetry is one that uses what?
(b) Language alone.
(c) Words and pictures.
2. What two things does Aristotle require to be present in a well-written story?
(a) Irony and foreshadowing.
(b) Rhythm and harmony.
(c) Conflict and pain.
(d) Birth and death.
3. Into what two types does Aristotle divide actions?
(a) Simple and complex.
(b) Happy and sad.
(c) Congruent and incongruent.
(d) Good and bad.
4. What does Aristotle call the individual episodes of a story with an episodic plot?
(c) Dependent stories.
(d) Isolated stories.
5. The object poetry portrays is what, according to Aristotle?
(a) Other poets.
(b) Men in action.
(c) Various places around the world.
(d) Tragic events.
6. How does Aristotle compare the medium of poetry and prose?
(a) Both use the same medium and rhythm.
(b) It is nothing like prose.
(c) Both use the same medium and meter.
(d) Both use the same medium.
7. What does Aristotle identify as the most essential element of tragedy?
8. Aristotle defines poetic work as what?
(a) A spiritual journey.
(b) A love affair.
(c) A philosophical undertaking.
(d) A bad imitation.
9. In an episodic plot, Aristotle explains that the individual episodes of the story bear what to one another?
(a) Little or no relation to one another.
(c) A lot of similarity.
10. Aristotle explains that tragedy is not only concerned with the depiction of just any action, but of actions that inspire what?
11. What type of action does Aristotle say occurs without "Recognition" or "Reversal of Situation"?
12. How does Aristotle say the different types of poetry emerged?
(a) From non-fiction.
(b) The most talented poets decided on the different types.
(c) Peers voted on their preference.
(d) From the personalities of different types of men.
13. In poetry, Aristotle says that in the "Odyssey" recognition comes about how??
(a) The suitors recognize him by his face.
(b) None of the answers is correct..
(c) Odyssues's nurse recognizes him from his scar.
(d) Penelope recognizes his walk.
14. Aristotle explains that actions described in a tragic plot should have certain characteristics. Which one of the following is NOT one of the characteristics that Aristotle identifies?
(a) Actions should be interesting.
(b) Actions should be not too small or too large.
(c) Actions should be minute and trivial.
(d) Actions should help the reader grasp the significance of the whole.
15. Like any art, poetry is defined by Aristotle as what?
(a) A rhyme with more than four sentences.
(b) A funny story.
(c) A theatrical play.
(d) A kind of imitation.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Aristotle, how should the plot of a well-written tragedy be structured?
2. How does Aristotle define "Recognition"?
3. Aristotle says that storytelling with episodic plots is to be favored by whom?
4. What men does Aristotle consider to be "lower" types?
5. What is one of the requirements Aristotle mentions for a good tragic plot?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)