|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, where has Pnin's friend, who heads the department his job is attached to, accepted a new post at?
2. At the party in Chapter 5, what is the name of the host's wife?
3. How are both of Victor's parents described in Chapter 4 as being?
4. In Chapter, Bolotov is also at the party. What is the name of his wife?
5. In Chapter 5, whom does Pnin wish could have been there to meet the artist at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Roza Shpolyanski and Pnin talk about at the party in Chapter 5?
2. What does Hagen tell Pnin before he leaves the party?
3. Describe the character of Victor.
4. Why is Pnin somewhat sad after visiting with Betty Bliss?
5. How do Dr. Wind and Liza feel about their son?
6. Why might Pnin's teaching position be in jeopardy at the college?
7. Where is Pnin living in Chapter 6 and how does he feel about it?
8. Who is the artist that Pnin meets while going for a swim in the lake, and what does Pnin wish after meeting him?
9. Who are some of the people that Pnin invites to his housewarming party in Chapter 6?
10. What are a few examples of what the students at Waindell College do at the beginning of every year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of emphasis in the novel "Pnin" about what is normal. Explore the theme of normalcy throughout the novel. Is Victor normal even though he is not like other children his age? Is Pnin considered normal even though he has some odd quirks? Who or what determines what is normal?
Essay Topic 2
The setting in "Pnin" is important to the tone and shape of the story. Analyze the use of setting in "Pnin". How did Vladimir Nabokov describe his setting? How is the setting almost considered a character in the story? How is Pnin's social environment considered a part of the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Clementses and their relationship with Pnin, comparing their first impressions of Pnin to how they end up feeling about Pnin. What kind of people are the Clementses? How does Pnin know them? What do Pnin and Joan bond over? What are some examples from the book that demonstrate the Clementses beginning to like Pnin?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)