|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the fall semester at Pnin's college begin?
2. At Pnin's housewarming party, what guest tells him she has become engaged?
3. At the party in Chapter 5, what is the name of the host's wife?
4. Why did Liza decide to send Victor to a particular school in Chapter 4?
5. Pnin does not have tenure yet. How does his position at the college still exist?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dr. Wind and Liza feel about their son?
2. What is Pnin worried that he might have broken at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Who are some of the people that Pnin invites to his housewarming party in Chapter 6?
4. Why is Pnin somewhat sad after visiting with Betty Bliss?
5. Who runs St. Bartholomew's? Describe in detail.
6. What are the ages of the men and women who are at the party in comparison to Pnin?
7. Who is the host of the party at the cabin in Chapter 5?
8. What does Pnin give to Victor during their first meeting?
9. What are a few examples of what the students at Waindell College do at the beginning of every year?
10. How popular are Pnin's classes and how stable is his teaching position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Victor's relationship with his parents to his relationship with Pnin, examining the differences and similarities. What kind of parents are Dr. Wind and Liza? Does Pnin treat Victor as if he is his own son? How does Victor view Pnin compared to his parents? How does Dr. Wind feel about Pnin and Victor having a relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Research the Bolshevik Revolution and study how it could have affected Pnin. What is a revolution? Why did the Bolshevik Revolution happen? What year did the Bolshevik Revolution occur? Who was Vladimir Lenin and what did he have to do with the Bolshevik Revolution? Why would Pnin want to leave Russia after the Bolshevik Revolution?
Essay Topic 3
One of the prevailing themes in "Pnin" is the life of an immigrant. Explore the theme of Pnin's life as an immigrant and the prejudices that he encounters.
Part 1) What does being an immigrant mean?
Part 2) What are some examples of prejudices in the novel?
Part 3) Is Pnin aware of the prejudices he encounters?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)