|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How would Pnin's laugh be described?
2. What does Pnin begin reading in his favorite spot after he talks to the librarian?
(a) A newsletter circulated by Swedish immigrants.
(b) A newsletter circulated by French immigrants.
(c) A newsletter circulated by Russian immigrants.
(d) A newsletter circulated by Polish immigrants.
3. What does Pnin usually find wrong in the places that he lives?
(a) Not close enough to the college.
(b) Too small.
(c) Too much noise.
(d) Too expensive.
4. Whom does Pnin ask for the first time he calls to rent a room in Chapter 2?
(a) A "Mrs. Water."
(b) A Mrs. Earth."
(c) A "Mrs. Wind."
(d) A "Mrs. Fire."
5. Why was Pnin made to sit in his bed for weeks with nothing to do when he was a child?
(a) He hurt his back.
(b) His parents and doctors were concerned about his lungs.
(c) His parents and doctors were concerned about his heart.
(d) He hurt his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Like many people from his home country, with what does Pnin have a fascination?
2. How would Pnin be described when he is drunk?
3. What does Pnin lose while he looks up the proper pronunciation of a word in the dictionary?
4. What happened right before Pnin left his home country?
5. In Chapter 3, how long has Pnin now been staying with the Clementses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pnin meet and marry Liza?
2. What is an example of one of Pnin's less pleasant quirks? Describe in detail.
3. Why has Pnin always been a constant mover?
4. What does Pnin discover from the librarian that is surprising to him in Chapter 3?
5. How does Pnin act when he is drinking? Describe in detail.
6. What does the library request of Pnin in Chapter 3?
7. What happens to Pnin at the bus station that has been happening since he was a child?
8. How does Laurence Clements feel about Pnin staying in his house?
9. Why has the daughter of Laurence and Joan Clements left home, and what do they now have available?
10. What procedure does Pnin have done in Chapter 2 that leaves him very pleased?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)