|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Pnin ask for the first time he calls to rent a room in Chapter 2?
(a) A Mrs. Earth."
(b) A "Mrs. Wind."
(c) A "Mrs. Water."
(d) A "Mrs. Fire."
2. What is the title of the book that Pnin is asked to bring back to the library in Chapter 3?
(a) The Encyclopedia Britannica, Volume 18.
(b) The Soviet Gold Fund of Literature, Volume 18.
(c) The Russian Revolution, Volume 2.
(d) The Switzerland Gold Rush, Volume 16.
3. Why was Pnin made to sit in his bed for weeks with nothing to do when he was a child?
(a) His parents and doctors were concerned about his lungs.
(b) He hurt his back.
(c) His parents and doctors were concerned about his heart.
(d) He hurt his head.
4. What is Laurence Clements wife's name?
5. What abstract field does Pnin have no interest of getting into teaching?
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Pnin's English be described?
2. What country did Pnin leave right before coming to America?
3. After leaving the library in Chapter 3, what does Pnin decide to do for the night?
4. How does Mrs. Clements react to Laurence not wanting Pnin to stay in their house?
5. What does Pnin miss while getting something to eat in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Pnin headed at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What subject does Pnin have no desire to teach?
3. What is an example of one of Pnin's less pleasant quirks? Describe in detail.
4. What do Joan and Pnin learn they have in common from their discussion in Chapter 2?
5. Why has Pnin always been a constant mover?
6. Describe Pnin's fellow professor, Oleg Komarov.
7. How does Pnin meet and marry Liza?
8. What does Pnin almost encounter when he comes down the stairs during the Clementses' party in Chapter 2?
9. Why does Pnin seek out Oleg Komarov in Chapter 3?
10. What does Pnin discover from the librarian that is surprising to him in Chapter 3?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)