|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't Victor like the gift that Pnin gives him during dinner?
(a) He is more the intellectual type than athletic type.
(b) He hates that sport.
(c) He already has a ball just like it.
(d) He really wanted a different type of ball.
2. Why does the staff at Victor's school keep his art teacher around?
(a) Because there is something trendy about having a "distinguished freak" around.
(b) Because he is the son of the dean.
(c) Because he's an excellent teacher.
(d) Because he has tenure and cannot be fired.
3. In Chapter 6, what country is the department head's replacement from?
4. In Chapter 6, how is Pnin feeling about his lack of students this semester?
5. After Pnin learns that one of his guests at his party is engaged, what does he wish?
(a) That he could be married too.
(b) That he will never have to be married again.
(c) That he was still with Liza.
(d) That he might have once courted her.
6. In Chapter 6, who has Pnin found a permanent housing solution from?
(a) A relative of his old landlords, the Clementses.
(b) Al Cook.
(c) Professor Chateau.
(d) A relative of his old landlords, the Sheppards.
7. Where does Pnin take Victor after picking him up from the train station?
(a) To a movie.
(b) To his home.
(c) To the college.
(d) To dinner.
8. How does the man who runs Victor's school treat the children?
(a) With minimal tolerance.
9. At the party in Chapter 5, what book does Pnin end up getting into an argument with Bolotov over?
(a) "Crime and Punishment".
(b) 'Anna Karenina'.
(c) "Pride and Prejudice".
(d) "Call of the Wild".
10. What is the name of Pnin's friend who heads the department that Pnin's job is attached to?
(a) Professor Kukolnikov.
(b) Professor Clements.
(c) Professor Chateau.
(d) Professor Hagen.
11. At the party in Chapter 5, who is the other man, beside Pnin, that is also considered a youngster?
(a) Oleg Komarov.
(b) Eric Wind.
(c) Laurence Clements.
(d) Professor Chateau.
12. Victor is happy about the book that Pnin picked out for him. Whom does he mistake its author for?
(b) Jack London.
(c) Ernest Hemmingway.
(d) Jane Austen.
13. In Chapter 6, what do pranksters vandalize in the humanities building?
(a) The bathrooms.
(c) Pnin's classroom.
(d) Water fountains.
14. What is the name of the school that Victor attends?
(a) St. Marcus's.
(b) St. Thomas's.
(c) St. Bart's.
(d) St. Lucas's.
15. At Pnin's housewarming party, what guest tells him she has become engaged?
(b) Betty Bliss.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, whom does Pnin run into while getting ready to go for a swim?
2. How are both of Victor's parents described in Chapter 4 as being?
3. In Chapter 6, who will replace Pnin's friend as department head?
4. Pnin does not have tenure yet. How does his position at the college still exist?
5. At the end of Chapter 6, what is Pnin worried that he broke while cleaning up after the housewarming party?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)