|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For many years, what language have students not been particularly interested in learning?
2. What is one of the chief attractions of the party at the cabin?
(a) The brook.
(b) The river.
(c) The reservoir.
(d) The lake.
3. At the party in Chapter 5, what is the name of the host's wife?
(a) Susan Marshall.
(b) Tammy Fallon.
(c) Patty Lawrence.
(d) Sarah Martin.
4. In Chapter 4, who has Liza left Dr. Wind for and is preparing to marry?
(a) An Englishman.
(b) An Australian.
(c) A Frenchman.
(d) A Russian.
5. At the party in Chapter 5, after playing the game whom does Pnin talk with?
(a) Roza Shpolyanski.
(b) Mira Belochkin.
(d) Professor Chateau.
6. In Chapter 5, whom does Pnin run into while getting ready to go for a swim?
(b) His old friend Chateau.
(c) Laurence Clements.
7. In Chapter 5, what do Pnin and the person he runs into before going on a swim talk about?
(a) The time they went out years ago.
(b) How good the food is.
(c) The good times they had living together.
(d) The annoyances of life as a teacher.
8. In Chapter 6, why there are only a few people at the housewarming party?
(a) Pnin didn't want a big party.
(b) The flu is going around and many people are sick.
(c) Several people declined.
(d) Pnin gave out bad directions to his house.
9. In Chapter 6, who has Pnin found a permanent housing solution from?
(a) A relative of his old landlords, the Clementses.
(b) Professor Chateau.
(c) Al Cook.
(d) A relative of his old landlords, the Sheppards.
10. In Chapter 5, when did the host of the party move to America?
(a) After World War II.
(b) After the Bolshevik revolution.
(c) After World War I.
(d) After the Vietnam War.
11. In Chapter 6, whom does Pnin invite over for a housewarming party?
(a) Hagen, the Clementses, Betty Bliss, and the Thayers.
(b) The Thayers, Gramineev, Varvara, and the Shpolyanskis.
(c) Professor Chateau, Al Cook, Susan, and the Clementses.
(d) Betty Bliss, Al Cook, Varvara, and Hagen.
12. What is it about Victor that troubles his parents?
(a) He is always angry and they don't know why.
(b) He never talks and is very distant.
(c) He is peculiar; he is an exceptionally easy child.
(d) He gets into trouble a lot at school.
13. Pnin does not have tenure yet. How does his position at the college still exist?
(a) By virtue of being attached to the Polish Department.
(b) By virtue of being attached to the French Department.
(c) By virtue of being attached to the Russian Department.
(d) By virtue of being attached to the German Department.
14. Who runs the school that Victor attends?
(a) A Catholic priest.
(b) A man with a doctorate from Harvard.
(c) An Episcopalian clergyman.
(d) A renowned artist.
15. In Chapter 4, what does Pnin buy Victor in preparation for his visit?
(a) A basketball and a novel by Mark Twain.
(b) A baseball and a novel by Ernest Hemmingway.
(c) A volleyball and a novel by Jane Austen.
(d) A football and a novel by Jack London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Pnin's friend who heads the department that Pnin's job is attached to?
2. At the party in Chapter 5, what book does Pnin end up getting into an argument with Bolotov over?
3. At the end of Chapter 6, what does Pnin drop onto a pile of dishes?
4. At Pnin's housewarming party, what guest tells him she has become engaged?
5. At the party in Chapter 5, what type of game do the guests play after dinner?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)