|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, to what town is Pnin headed?
2. How long does Pnin usually stay at the places he rents?
(a) Half a semester.
(b) No longer than a semester.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
3. In Chapter 3, which poet's poem does Pnin discuss concerning the uncertainty of death?
4. In Chapter 3, how long has Pnin now been staying with the Clementses?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
5. Why was Pnin's office recently relocated?
(a) There were complaints about Pnin.
(b) The building was being renovated.
(c) To accommodate a new Austrian professor.
(d) He needed a bigger office.
6. What does Pnin like to put in the Clementses' washing machine?
(a) Things that don't belong, like shoes.
(b) His pants.
(c) His shirts.
(d) His socks.
7. Why is Pnin traveling at the book opens?
(a) To deliver a lecture.
(b) To take a test.
(c) To audit a class.
(d) To perform in a play.
8. How does Pnin's class size compare to other classes in the college?
(d) Very large.
9. How does Pnin feel about Betty Bliss?
(a) He has a crush on her.
(b) She makes him nervous.
(c) He dislikes her.
(d) She annoys him.
10. While on his way to the town in Chapter 1, what is Pnin horrified about the possibility of losing?
(a) His suitcase.
(b) His book bag.
(c) His brief case.
(d) His satchel.
11. What does the librarian tell Pnin in Chapter 3 that he refuses to take any responsibility for?
(a) Pnin is adamant that he did not rip one of the pages in the book.
(b) Pnin refuses to pay his late fee.
(c) Pnin is adamant that he did not cause water damage to the book.
(d) Pnin discovers that he is the one who requested the book.
12. What is Laurence Clements, a fellow professor of Pnin's, most popular course at college?
(a) Studying facial expressions.
(b) Studying body language.
(c) Analyzing gestures.
(d) Analyzing handwriting.
13. What brings Pnin to tears at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) A documentary about life in Russia.
(b) A paper that one of his students wrote.
(c) A letter from Liza.
(d) A documentary about life in Germany.
14. In what year did Pnin leave his home country?
15. Why did Liza pretend that she wanted to be back with Pnin even though she was carrying Dr. Wind's child?
(a) She wanted to hurt Pnin.
(b) She was using Pnin to help pay for her passage to the U.S.
(c) She wanted Pnin to pay for the medical bills.
(d) She wanted Pnin to buy her a house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pnin recommend Laurence get, telling him he will not regret it?
2. What is the title of the book that Pnin is asked to bring back to the library in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 2, whom does Mrs. Clements invite Pnin to meet which he declines?
4. At the end of chapter 1, what poem does Pnin recall reciting in front of the entire school when he was a child?
5. How does Mrs. Clements react to Laurence not wanting Pnin to stay in their house?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)