|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pnin like to put in the Clementses' washing machine?
(a) His socks.
(b) His shirts.
(c) Things that don't belong, like shoes.
(d) His pants.
2. What does the librarian tell Pnin in Chapter 3 that he refuses to take any responsibility for?
(a) Pnin is adamant that he did not cause water damage to the book.
(b) Pnin discovers that he is the one who requested the book.
(c) Pnin refuses to pay his late fee.
(d) Pnin is adamant that he did not rip one of the pages in the book.
3. How would Pnin's laugh be described?
4. Why can't Pnin get his bag back from the man in Chapter 1?
(a) The man does not understand Pnin's imperfect English.
(b) The man does not like foreign people.
(c) The man has dementia.
(d) The man wants to keep the bag for himself.
5. What is Laurence Clements wife's name?
6. How does Pnin's class size compare to other classes in the college?
(c) Very large.
7. What happens to Pnin, while he is discussing the poem in Chapter 3, which causes the class to laugh?
(a) He trips over a student's leg.
(b) He leans on a chair and falls over when it snaps under his weight.
(c) He drops his glasses.
(d) He burps.
8. Why was Pnin's office recently relocated?
(a) The building was being renovated.
(b) He needed a bigger office.
(c) There were complaints about Pnin.
(d) To accommodate a new Austrian professor.
9. Where were Pnin and his wife Liza staying when she met Dr. Wind, the man she ends up leaving Pnin for?
(a) Meudon, a suburb of Paris.
(b) Tuva, Russia.
(c) Austin, Texas.
(d) Marseille, France.
10. While on his way to the town in Chapter 1, what is Pnin horrified about the possibility of losing?
(a) His book bag.
(b) His suitcase.
(c) His satchel.
(d) His brief case.
11. What procedure does Pnin have in Chapter 2?
(a) He has surgery on his heart.
(b) He has hair plugs put in.
(c) He has a hearing aid inserted in his ear.
(d) He has all his teeth pulled and replaced with dentures.
12. What abstract field does Pnin have no interest of getting into teaching?
13. What does Pnin recommend Laurence get, telling him he will not regret it?
(a) A new suit.
(b) His teeth pulled and replaced with dentures.
(c) A hearing aid.
(d) Hair plugs put in.
14. Mrs. Clements was in the same city as Pnin in 1919, what was she doing there?
(a) Studying at a university.
(b) Living with her grandparents.
(c) Teaching at a university.
(d) Working as a waitress.
15. Why is Pnin traveling at the book opens?
(a) To perform in a play.
(b) To deliver a lecture.
(c) To audit a class.
(d) To take a test.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pnin try to do on his own in Chapter 1 rather than take other people's suggestions?
2. Why doesn't Laurence want Pnin to stay in his house?
3. How serious is Pnin's condition?
4. Whom does Pnin ask for the first time he calls to rent a room in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 3, which poet's poem does Pnin discuss concerning the uncertainty of death?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)