|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Pnin born?
2. What city did Pnin end up in 1919?
3. After showing his students a film, what does Pnin's student, Betty Bliss, remark that he looks like from the film?
(a) George Washington.
4. What is Laurence Clements, a fellow professor of Pnin's, most popular course at college?
(a) Studying facial expressions.
(b) Analyzing gestures.
(c) Studying body language.
(d) Analyzing handwriting.
5. How does Pnin's class size compare to other classes in the college?
(d) Very large.
6. What did Pnin try to do on his own in Chapter 1 rather than take other people's suggestions?
(a) Find the perfect suit.
(b) Drive himself to the college.
(c) Write the perfect speech.
(d) Find a better route.
7. What does Pnin miss while getting something to eat in Chapter 1?
(a) His connecting train.
(b) His taxi.
(c) His connecting flight.
(d) His bus.
8. Who stayed in the room before Pnin at the Clementses' house?
(a) An old lady.
(b) An old man.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A young boy.
9. In Chapter 3, which poet's poem does Pnin discuss concerning the uncertainty of death?
10. What does Laurence learn from Pnin, in Chapter 2, that helps to change how he feels about him?
(a) French facial expressions.
(b) Polish gestures.
(c) Russian gestures.
(d) Swedish body language.
11. What does Pnin not realize while he is traveling in Chapter 1?
(a) That he is not on the right boat.
(b) That he is not on the right train.
(c) That his car is not headed in the right direction.
(d) That he is not on the right plane.
12. After leaving the library in Chapter 3, what does Pnin decide to do for the night?
(a) Go straight to bed.
(b) Read a book in his room.
(c) Watch some TV.
(d) Go to a music and movie night that some acquaintances of his are having.
13. How soon after Mrs. Clements tells Pnin he can stay at their house does Pnin arrive?
(a) Two hours later.
(b) A half hour later.
(c) A day later.
(d) Ten minutes later.
14. Whom does Pnin want to rent a room from in Chapter 2?
(a) Laurence and Jane Clements.
(b) Laurence and Janis Clements .
(c) Laurence and Joan Clements.
(d) Laurence and Judith Clements.
15. What abstract field does Pnin have no interest of getting into teaching?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Clements seem to feel about what Pnin puts in her washing machine?
2. While on his way to the town in Chapter 1, what is Pnin horrified about the possibility of losing?
3. What happens to Pnin, while he is discussing the poem in Chapter 3, which causes the class to laugh?
4. How does Pnin finally end up getting to the town in Chapter 1?
5. How does Pnin feel about Betty Bliss?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)