|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Clements seem to feel about what Pnin puts in her washing machine?
(c) Very annoyed.
2. By what means is Pnin traveling at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Laurence learn from Pnin, in Chapter 2, that helps to change how he feels about him?
(a) Russian gestures.
(b) Swedish body language.
(c) French facial expressions.
(d) Polish gestures.
4. At the end of chapter 1, what poem does Pnin recall reciting in front of the entire school when he was a child?
(a) Pushkin's poems.
(b) Pasternak's poems.
(c) Mayakovsky's poems.
(d) Brodsky's poems.
5. Where were Pnin and his wife Liza staying when she met Dr. Wind, the man she ends up leaving Pnin for?
(a) Marseille, France.
(b) Austin, Texas.
(c) Meudon, a suburb of Paris.
(d) Tuva, Russia.
6. How would Pnin's laugh be described?
7. What does Pnin usually find wrong in the places that he lives?
(a) Not close enough to the college.
(b) Too expensive.
(c) Too small.
(d) Too much noise.
8. What does Pnin ask the librarian in Chapter 3?
(a) If he can hang on to the book a while longer.
(b) If he can request a new book.
(c) If she can tell him who requested the book.
(d) If they have any more books on the same subject.
9. What is the name of the librarian at Pnin's college?
(a) Mrs. Thayer.
(b) Mrs. Bliss.
(c) Mrs. Clements.
(d) Mrs. Wind.
10. As a teacher, how would Pnin be described?
11. Who helps Pnin to adapt his room at the Clementses' house to his own utility and personality?
(a) His brother.
(c) One of his students.
(d) Mrs. Clement.
12. What is Pnin's first name?
13. After showing his students a film, what does Pnin's student, Betty Bliss, remark that he looks like from the film?
(a) George Washington.
14. Besides teaching his students to speak the language that he teaches, what does Pnin occasionally treat his class to?
(a) Russian history or literature.
(b) French history or literature.
(c) Polish history or literature.
(d) German history or literature.
15. IIn Chapter 3, where have the Clementses gone to visit someone?
(b) New York.
(d) An anonymous "Western state."
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, in Chapter 3, Pnin finds the house completely to himself. Where have the Clementses gone?
2. In Chapter 3, how long has Pnin now been staying with the Clementses?
3. What does Pnin lose while he looks up the proper pronunciation of a word in the dictionary?
4. Who stayed in the room before Pnin at the Clementses' house?
5. How would Pnin's English be described?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)