|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Pnin get his bag back from the man in Chapter 1?
(a) The man does not understand Pnin's imperfect English.
(b) The man does not like foreign people.
(c) The man has dementia.
(d) The man wants to keep the bag for himself.
2. What does the professor, who Pnin decides to track down in Chapter 3, teach at the college?
(c) Fine Arts.
3. In Chapter 2, whom does Mrs. Clements invite Pnin to meet which he declines?
(a) Professor Wind.
(b) Professor Thayer.
(c) Professor Bliss.
(d) Professor Entwistle.
4. What brings Pnin to tears at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) A documentary about life in Russia.
(b) A letter from Liza.
(c) A paper that one of his students wrote.
(d) A documentary about life in Germany.
5. Whom does Pnin want to rent a room from in Chapter 2?
(a) Laurence and Judith Clements.
(b) Laurence and Joan Clements.
(c) Laurence and Janis Clements .
(d) Laurence and Jane Clements.
6. Before leaving the library in Chapter 3, what word does Pnin look up in the dictionary for its proper pronunciation?
7. How would Pnin's English be described?
(a) Very poor.
(b) Perfectly fluent.
(c) Greatly improved.
8. What was Liza's profession when she met Pnin?
(a) A writer and medical student.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A waitress.
(d) A teacher.
9. What is Laurence Clements wife's name?
10. What does Pnin have because the man will not give him his bag back in Chapter 1?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A nervous break down.
(d) A seizure.
11. What does Laurence learn from Pnin, in Chapter 2, that helps to change how he feels about him?
(a) Swedish body language.
(b) Polish gestures.
(c) Russian gestures.
(d) French facial expressions.
12. By what means is Pnin traveling at the beginning of the book?
13. What is the title of the book that Pnin is asked to bring back to the library in Chapter 3?
(a) The Switzerland Gold Rush, Volume 16.
(b) The Soviet Gold Fund of Literature, Volume 18.
(c) The Russian Revolution, Volume 2.
(d) The Encyclopedia Britannica, Volume 18.
14. After leaving the library in Chapter 3, what does Pnin decide to do for the night?
(a) Go straight to bed.
(b) Read a book in his room.
(c) Go to a music and movie night that some acquaintances of his are having.
(d) Watch some TV.
15. What does Pnin use in Chapter 1 that is five years old and, therefore, obsolete?
(a) A list.
(b) A book.
(c) A map.
(d) A schedule.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pnin finally end up getting to the town in Chapter 1?
2. Why is Pnin traveling at the book opens?
3. While on his way to the town in Chapter 1, what is Pnin horrified about the possibility of losing?
4. IIn Chapter 3, where have the Clementses gone to visit someone?
5. One day, in Chapter 3, Pnin finds the house completely to himself. Where have the Clementses gone?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)