|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor does Plutarch report this earned for Demetrius and Antigonus from the Athenians?
2. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
3. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
4. How was the Artaxerxes from Plutarch's "Lives" related to the first Artaxerxes to rule over Persia?
5. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
2. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
3. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
4. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
5. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
6. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
7. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
9. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
10. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)