|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim to be the main issue facing Tiberius after he was elected tribune of the people?
2. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
3. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
4. What role did Antony eventually take in Rome, according to Plutarch, after Caesar's assassination?
5. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
2. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
3. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
5. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
6. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
7. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
8. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
9. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
10. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dion was a Greek who studied Plato's philosophy against tyranny. Even though he earned the favor of tyrannical King Dionysius I, he fell out of favor with the supporters of his son, Donysius II. Explain what philosophies that Dion was sharing with Dionysius II and why his supporters would want to end Dion's influence.
Essay Topic 2
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
Essay Topic 3
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)