|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch report as the difference in the affects on the homelands of "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
2. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
3. Who did wealthy land owners influence from the Senate to oppose Tiberius' efforts at land reform, according to Plutarch?
4. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the military achievements between Dion and Brutus?
5. Why did Antigonus' son, Philip, kill Aratus, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
2. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
3. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
4. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
5. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
6. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
7. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
8. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
9. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
10. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)