|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes' mother favored Cyrus as king when Darius died?
2. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
3. For what does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes II was known?
4. Who does Plutarch report was to be successor to Artaxerxes throne?
5. What is the difference Plutarch cites between the leaders that Dion and Brutus overthrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
2. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
3. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
4. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
5. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
6. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
7. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
8. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
9. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
10. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
Essay Topic 3
Dion was a Greek who studied Plato's philosophy against tyranny. Even though he earned the favor of tyrannical King Dionysius I, he fell out of favor with the supporters of his son, Donysius II. Explain what philosophies that Dion was sharing with Dionysius II and why his supporters would want to end Dion's influence.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)