|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor does Plutarch report this earned for Demetrius and Antigonus from the Athenians?
2. What does Plutarch identify as the difference in the characters between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
3. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
4. Who did Plutarch identify as the Senator that Brutus opposed, but joined in a civil war against Caesar?
5. How was the Artaxerxes from Plutarch's "Lives" related to the first Artaxerxes to rule over Persia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
2. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
3. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
4. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
5. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
6. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
7. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
8. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
9. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
10. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
Essay Topic 3
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)