|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch claim that Caius had to overcome before he was elected to tribune?
2. Who did Demetrius kill to take the throne of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
3. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes became the best orator of his time?
4. Why does Plutarch suggest that Dion was banished from Syracuse by the supporters of Dionysisus' son, Dionysisus II?
5. How does Plutarch explain public anger both Dion and Brutus received for their stands against Dionysius II and Caesar respectively?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
2. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
3. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
4. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
5. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
6. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
7. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
8. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
9. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
10. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
Essay Topic 2
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch reports that Caesar's life and travels were intertwined by events caused by other people. Starting with his reason for leaving Rome because of Sylla's relationship with his family and ending with his defeat of Scipio in Africa, identify the destinations of Caesar, the reason he took the trip, and what his mission there meant for him personally and achieved for the Roman Empire.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)