|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the differences between Rome and Sparta at the time "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" had their influence?
2. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the military achievements between Dion and Brutus?
3. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
4. What does Plutarch report led to Antony's suicide at the threat of being defeated by Octavian?
5. What did Plutarch report Darius did to prevent his ascension to Artaxerxes' throne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 2
Aratus gained tremendous political acclaim by driving the tyrant Nicocles from his palace. Detail the steps that Aratus took to return to Sicyon and get in the position to remove Nicocles from power. How did he build upon that reputation to unite the cities of Greece into a defensive league.
Essay Topic 3
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)