|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the primary difference between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
2. What did Plutarch claim to be the differences in motivation between Demosthenes and Cicero?
3. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
4. According to Plutarch, what was Artaxerxes' name before he became king?
5. Why did Antigonus' son, Philip, kill Aratus, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
2. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
3. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
4. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
5. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
6. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
7. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
8. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
9. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
10. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
Essay Topic 2
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
Essay Topic 3
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)