|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What affect does Plutarch claim Aratus' education and his father's death have on Aratus?
2. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
3. What does Plutarch identify as the difference in the characters between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
4. How does Plutarch compare the motivations of rebelling between Dion and Brutus?
5. Plutarch's tone in the profile of Aratus changes from his other reports. Why is this?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
2. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
3. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
4. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
5. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
6. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
7. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
8. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
9. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
10. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
Essay Topic 2
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)