|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first difference that Plutarch found between Demetrius and Antony?
2. What political difference does Plutarch recognize between "The Spartans"?
3. What quote from Plato does Plutarch use to begin a criticism in his profiles of Demetrius and Antony?
4. What does Plutarch record that Antony did in response to Brutus' and Cassius' assassination of Caesar?
5. Based upon the intended audience of the profile on Aratus, what does Plutarch establish as his focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
2. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
3. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
4. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
5. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
6. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
7. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
8. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
9. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
10. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aratus gained tremendous political acclaim by driving the tyrant Nicocles from his palace. Detail the steps that Aratus took to return to Sicyon and get in the position to remove Nicocles from power. How did he build upon that reputation to unite the cities of Greece into a defensive league.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)