|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the Artaxerxes from Plutarch's "Lives" related to the first Artaxerxes to rule over Persia?
2. Who was the Macedonian King from which Plutarch reported Demetrius and his father, Antigonus, freed Athens?
3. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
4. According to Plutarch, what was the purpose of the Greek alliances that Aratus helped to form?
5. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
Essay Topic 2
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)