Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
2. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
3. What honor does Plutarch report this earned for Demetrius and Antigonus from the Athenians?
4. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
5. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
Essay Topic 2
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 3
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)