|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
2. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
3. According to Plutarch, who prevented Cyrus from assassinating Artaxerxes at his inaugural ceremonies as king?
4. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
5. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
2. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
3. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
4. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
5. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
6. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
7. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
8. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
9. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
10. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 2
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)