|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch record that Antony did in response to Brutus' and Cassius' assassination of Caesar?
2. According to Plutarch, who prevented Cyrus from assassinating Artaxerxes at his inaugural ceremonies as king?
3. What does Plutarch claim that Brutus' decision to betray Caesar prove?
4. What does Plutarch report led to Antony's suicide at the threat of being defeated by Octavian?
5. For what does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes II was known?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
2. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
3. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
4. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
5. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
6. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
7. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
8. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
9. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
10. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)