|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
2. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
3. How does Plutarch report that Demosthenes and Cicero showed the differences in their personalities through their speeches?
4. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
5. Who does Plutarch claim to be the three Macedonian Kings under whom Demosthenes lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
2. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
3. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
4. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
5. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
6. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
7. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
8. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
9. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
10. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aratus gained tremendous political acclaim by driving the tyrant Nicocles from his palace. Detail the steps that Aratus took to return to Sicyon and get in the position to remove Nicocles from power. How did he build upon that reputation to unite the cities of Greece into a defensive league.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)