|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
2. Why does Plutarch consider Demetrius' death more dishonorable than Antony's?
3. How does Plutarch compare the motivations of rebelling between Dion and Brutus?
4. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
5. After the death of Tiberius, what did Plutarch report to be the first office to which his brother, Caius was elected?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
2. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
3. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
4. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
5. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
6. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
7. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
8. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
9. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
10. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
Essay Topic 3
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)