|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
2. What does Plutarch claim Demosthenes did with his suicide?
3. What Macedonian King did Plutarch claim regarded Aratus as a trusted adviser?
4. With whom does Plutarch report that Cicero joined in a conspiracy with against the son of Caesar?
5. Who does Plutarch report to be the father of Tiberius and Caius Gracchus?
Short Essay Questions
1. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
2. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
3. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
4. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
5. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
6. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
7. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
8. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
9. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
10. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)