|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Plutarch identify as being responsible for opposing and turning back the legal and land reforms that were won by Caius as tribune?
2. Who did Demetrius kill to take the throne of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
3. How did Plutarch compare the deaths of "The Roman Brothers" to "The Spartans"?
4. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
5. According to Plutarch, what was the purpose of the Greek alliances that Aratus helped to form?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
2. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
3. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
4. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
5. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
6. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
7. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
8. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
9. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
10. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dion was a Greek who studied Plato's philosophy against tyranny. Even though he earned the favor of tyrannical King Dionysius I, he fell out of favor with the supporters of his son, Donysius II. Explain what philosophies that Dion was sharing with Dionysius II and why his supporters would want to end Dion's influence.
Essay Topic 2
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
Essay Topic 3
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)