|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch report as the difference in the affects on the homelands of "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
2. What does Plutarch identify as the difference in the characters between "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
3. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
4. How did Plutarch claim Artaxerxes avoided a war with the Spartans?
5. What does Plutarch report that Antony did after his first reaction the Assassination of Caesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
2. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
3. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
4. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
5. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
6. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
7. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
8. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
9. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
10. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 3
Aratus gained tremendous political acclaim by driving the tyrant Nicocles from his palace. Detail the steps that Aratus took to return to Sicyon and get in the position to remove Nicocles from power. How did he build upon that reputation to unite the cities of Greece into a defensive league.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)