|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first difference that Plutarch found between Demetrius and Antony?
2. How did Plutarch characterize the differences in the changes in government "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans" sought to achieve?
3. Which one of the four being compared does Plutarch report had no great action worthy of a commander?
4. Where did Demosthenes encourage Greeks to resist the rule of Philip and Alexander, according to Plutarch?
5. Who does Plutarch report was to be successor to Artaxerxes throne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
2. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
3. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
4. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
5. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
6. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
7. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
8. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
9. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
10. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 2
Cato, the Younger, took many stands against the popular positions of the Roman Senate. One such stand was his warnings against the ambitions of Caesar as he was rising to power. What were the points that Cato raised in his warning, how did he respond as Pompey attempted to challenge Caesar, and what was the final outcome for Cato for taking his stand?
Essay Topic 3
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)