|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Plutarch report to be the first Roman official to try to take up the issue that confronted Tiberius after his election as tribune?
2. Who does Plutarch identify as predecessor to Galba as emperor of Rome?
3. What honor does Plutarch report this earned for Demetrius and Antigonus from the Athenians?
4. Who led a conspiracy to overthrow the Roman Government that Plutarch reports Cicero exposed in the Senate?
5. Why did Plutarch claim that Tiberius was beaten to death on the Senate Floor?
Essay Topic 1
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
Essay Topic 2
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)