|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
2. Based upon the intended audience of the profile on Aratus, what does Plutarch establish as his focus?
3. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
4. How did Ochus come to succeed Artaxerxes, according to Plutarch?
5. How was the Artaxerxes from Plutarch's "Lives" related to the first Artaxerxes to rule over Persia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
2. How does Plutarch show the differences in the personalities between Demosthenes and Cicero through their rhetorical style?
3. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
4. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
5. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
6. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
7. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
8. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
9. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
10. How did Plutarch describe the defeat of Brutus after the death of Caesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)