|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch explain the difference between Tiberius and Caius when they delivered speeches?
2. How did Plutarch explain the tyrrant, Nicocles, rose to power?
3. What is the first difference that Plutarch found between Demetrius and Antony?
4. How does Plutarch report that Demosthenes and Cicero showed the differences in their personalities through their speeches?
5. Who did Brutus join in the successful assassination attempt against Caesar, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
2. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
3. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
4. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
5. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
6. Why does Plutarch claim that Philip had Atarus poisoned?
7. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
8. According to Plutarch, how did Tiberius' death affect Caius' entry into Roman politics?
9. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
10. How did Ochus put himself in line to inherit Artaxerxes throne according to Plutarch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
Essay Topic 2
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 3
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)