|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, who prevented Cyrus from assassinating Artaxerxes at his inaugural ceremonies as king?
2. Where does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes was when he committed suicide to avoid capture by the Macedonians?
3. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference between the reasons that Demosthenes and Cicero fled from the authorities?
4. What did Plutarch report Darius did to prevent his ascension to Artaxerxes' throne?
5. Why does Plutarch suggest that Dion was banished from Syracuse by the supporters of Dionysisus' son, Dionysisus II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
2. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
3. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
4. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
5. How did Plutarch show the differences in the motivations for speaking between Demosthenes and Cicero?
6. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
7. What did Plutarch consider to be the difference between the several wives that Demetrius took as opposed to Antony taking up with Cleopatra?
8. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the deaths of the Gracci and the Spartans?
9. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
10. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's biography of Sertorius established a pattern of examining the life of a leader whose live and experiences were intertwined with other lives that were covered by Plutarch. Sertorius directly confronted Pompey in Spain and both were affected by the Roman tyrant Sylla. How were both Sertorius and Pompey affected by Sylla, and how did the different relationships with Sylla influence the confrontation they had with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)