|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, why was the issue still alive for Tiberius in spite of previous efforts to address the issue?
2. What did Plutarch report as the difference in the affects on the homelands of "The Roman Brothers" and "The Spartans"?
3. How does Plutarch explain the differences in the public acceptance with Demetrius' collection of wives and mistresses and Antony's affair with Cleopatra?
4. What does Plutarch consider to be the difference in the military achievements between Dion and Brutus?
5. Which of the four being compared does Plutarch accuse of committing the crime of deposing a fellow elected official?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
2. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
3. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
4. Why does Plutarch claim that Dion was banished from the court of young Dionysius?
5. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
7. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
8. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
9. What does Plutarch claim was the result of Opimius undoing the land reforms that Caius enacted?
10. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 3
Cato, the Younger, took many stands against the popular positions of the Roman Senate. One such stand was his warnings against the ambitions of Caesar as he was rising to power. What were the points that Cato raised in his warning, how did he respond as Pompey attempted to challenge Caesar, and what was the final outcome for Cato for taking his stand?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)