|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
2. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
3. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
4. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
5. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
2. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
3. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
4. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
5. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
6. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
7. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
8. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
9. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
10. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 2
Aratus gained tremendous political acclaim by driving the tyrant Nicocles from his palace. Detail the steps that Aratus took to return to Sicyon and get in the position to remove Nicocles from power. How did he build upon that reputation to unite the cities of Greece into a defensive league.
Essay Topic 3
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)