|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the famous Roman General that Plutarch claims Sertorius outwitted during his exile in Spain?
2. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
3. How old was Alexander when Plutarch claims he took the Macedonian throne after Philip's death?
4. How did Agesilaus take the throne from his brother, Agis, according to Plutarch?
5. Who invaded Spartan provinces while Cleomenes was making reforms in Spartan government, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
2. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
3. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
4. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
5. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
6. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
7. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
8. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
9. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
10. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
Essay Topic 2
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)