|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Pompey ally himself to overcome the reputation of his father, and who did Plutarch report they oppose in a civil conflict for power over Rome?
2. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
3. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
4. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
5. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
2. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
3. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
4. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
5. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
6. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
7. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
8. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
9. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
10. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Dion was a Greek who studied Plato's philosophy against tyranny. Even though he earned the favor of tyrannical King Dionysius I, he fell out of favor with the supporters of his son, Donysius II. Explain what philosophies that Dion was sharing with Dionysius II and why his supporters would want to end Dion's influence.
Essay Topic 3
Cato, the Younger, took many stands against the popular positions of the Roman Senate. One such stand was his warnings against the ambitions of Caesar as he was rising to power. What were the points that Cato raised in his warning, how did he respond as Pompey attempted to challenge Caesar, and what was the final outcome for Cato for taking his stand?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)