|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Lacedaemonia when Agis and his partner began their reign?
2. What event led Philip to commission Aristotle to teach Alexander, according to Plutarch?
3. Why does Plutarch suggest that Cleomenes eliminated the office of ephors from Spartan Government?
4. How did Agesilaus take the throne from his brother, Agis, according to Plutarch?
5. What does Plutarch claim caused Caesar and Pompey to become rivals for power?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
2. 1.What does Plutarch recognize as the major difference between the governing styles between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
3. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
4. How did Otho finally become Emperor of Rome, according to Plutarch?
5. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
6. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
7. How did Artaxerxes become King of Persia, according to Plutarch?
8. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
9. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
10. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch reports that Caesar's life and travels were intertwined by events caused by other people. Starting with his reason for leaving Rome because of Sylla's relationship with his family and ending with his defeat of Scipio in Africa, identify the destinations of Caesar, the reason he took the trip, and what his mission there meant for him personally and achieved for the Roman Empire.
Essay Topic 3
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
This section contains 1,911 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)