|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
2. What is the first similarity that Plutarch recognized between Sertorius and Eumenes?
3. How old does Plutarch claim Alexander to have been when Philip left him in charge of Macedon while he went on an expedition against Byzantine?
4. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
5. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
2. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
3. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
4. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
5. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
6. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
7. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
8. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
9. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
10. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
Essay Topic 2
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
Essay Topic 3
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)