Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
2. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
3. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
4. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
5. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
4. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
5. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
6. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
9. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
10. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
Cato, the Younger, took many stands against the popular positions of the Roman Senate. One such stand was his warnings against the ambitions of Caesar as he was rising to power. What were the points that Cato raised in his warning, how did he respond as Pompey attempted to challenge Caesar, and what was the final outcome for Cato for taking his stand?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)