|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Plutarch report to be the difference between how the island allies of Athens treated other arriving Athenian admirals compared to their reception of Phocion?
2. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
3. How was Pompey acquitted of embezzlement that Plutarch reported was accused against his father after he died?
4. What question, according to Plutarch, did Cato ask his guardian, Sarpedon, as he watched executions that were ordered by the Roman political leader?
5. Who does Plutarch report ruled Rome in a Triumvirate while Cato served in the Senate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
2. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
3. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
4. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
5. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
7. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
8. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
9. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
10. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's biography of Sertorius established a pattern of examining the life of a leader whose live and experiences were intertwined with other lives that were covered by Plutarch. Sertorius directly confronted Pompey in Spain and both were affected by the Roman tyrant Sylla. How were both Sertorius and Pompey affected by Sylla, and how did the different relationships with Sylla influence the confrontation they had with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)