|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
2. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
3. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
4. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
5. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
4. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
5. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
6. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
9. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
10. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
Essay Topic 1
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's biography of Sertorius established a pattern of examining the life of a leader whose live and experiences were intertwined with other lives that were covered by Plutarch. Sertorius directly confronted Pompey in Spain and both were affected by the Roman tyrant Sylla. How were both Sertorius and Pompey affected by Sylla, and how did the different relationships with Sylla influence the confrontation they had with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)