|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose death did Plutarch compare the death of Phocion?
2. How did Plutarch describe Cleomenes' personality?
3. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
4. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
5. Who is the famous Roman General that Plutarch claims Sertorius outwitted during his exile in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
4. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
5. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
6. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
7. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
8. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
9. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
10. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's biography of Sertorius established a pattern of examining the life of a leader whose live and experiences were intertwined with other lives that were covered by Plutarch. Sertorius directly confronted Pompey in Spain and both were affected by the Roman tyrant Sylla. How were both Sertorius and Pompey affected by Sylla, and how did the different relationships with Sylla influence the confrontation they had with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)