|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
2. Who did Plutarch report to be the father of Agis and Agesilaus?
3. What Roman political leader does Plutarch claim was a friend to Cato's family?
4. Who does Plutarch report took in Cato and his siblings after they were orphaned, and for what was this person known?
5. How did the master of Rome prior to Caesar's reign make himself an enemy to Caesar, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
2. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
3. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
4. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
5. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
6. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
7. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
8. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
9. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
10. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
Essay Topic 2
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)