|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event led Philip to commission Aristotle to teach Alexander, according to Plutarch?
2. According to Plutarch, when did Phocion rise to power in Athens?
3. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
4. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
5. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
2. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
3. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
4. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
5. What does Plutarch claim Atarus did to free Sicyon from the tyrant Nicocles?
6. How did Antony inspire a revolt against the assassins of Caesar, according to Plutarch?
7. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
8. Why does Plutarch report that Artaxerxes had his son, Darius, executed?
9. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
10. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
Essay Topic 2
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
This section contains 1,933 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)