|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
2. According to Plutarch, who authored laws in Lacedaemonia that caused land that was once subject to inheritance within families to be taken into a few wealthy hands?
3. According to Plutarch, what eventually led to Alexander and his mother, Olympia, separating from Philip to become his rivals?
4. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
5. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
2. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
3. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
4. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
5. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
6. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
7. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
8. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
9. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
10. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
Essay Topic 2
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's biography of Sertorius established a pattern of examining the life of a leader whose live and experiences were intertwined with other lives that were covered by Plutarch. Sertorius directly confronted Pompey in Spain and both were affected by the Roman tyrant Sylla. How were both Sertorius and Pompey affected by Sylla, and how did the different relationships with Sylla influence the confrontation they had with each other?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)