|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what hearing before the Senate did Cato first confront Caesar, according to Plutarch?
2. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
3. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
4. What question, according to Plutarch, did Cato ask his guardian, Sarpedon, as he watched executions that were ordered by the Roman political leader?
5. Who joined Agis to turn back the laws that placed inherited land under control of a few wealthy families, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
2. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
3. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
5. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
6. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
7. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
8. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
9. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
10. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
Essay Topic 3
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)