|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what hearing before the Senate did Cato first confront Caesar, according to Plutarch?
2. What was a political hurdle that Plutarch claimed Pompey had to overcome?
3. How did Plutarch describe Cleomenes' personality?
4. How did the separation of Alexander from Philip affect his reign over Philip's empire, according to Plutarch?
5. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
2. What distinction does Plutarch claim that Galba had among the Emperors of Rome?
3. What steps did Plutarch describe that gave Tiberius the ability to pass his land reform laws?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the marks of Cicero's oratory style?
5. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
6. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
7. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
9. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
10. Why does Plutarch suggest that Galba named Piso his successor as Emperor of Rome early in his reign?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
Essay Topic 2
Aratus gained tremendous political acclaim by driving the tyrant Nicocles from his palace. Detail the steps that Aratus took to return to Sicyon and get in the position to remove Nicocles from power. How did he build upon that reputation to unite the cities of Greece into a defensive league.
Essay Topic 3
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
This section contains 1,916 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)