Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
2. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
3. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
4. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
5. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
4. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
5. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
6. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
9. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
10. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
Essay Topic 1
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)