|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
2. What does Plutarch declare to be the condition of men in public life?
3. What is a major difference between Sertorius and Eumenes that Plutarch recognized?
4. Why does Plutarch suggest that Cleomenes eliminated the office of ephors from Spartan Government?
5. There were 12 Roman Caesar's. Which one is Plutarch chronicling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
2. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
3. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
4. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
5. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
6. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
7. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
8. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
9. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
10. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 3
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)