|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sort of activity did Eumenes get the attention of Philip of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
2. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
3. Who were they, and what were the nationalities of Alexander's parents, according to Plutarch?
4. What did Plutarch claim was the final indication that Pompey had fallen out of Sylla's favor?
5. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
2. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
3. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
4. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
5. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
9. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
10. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
Essay Topic 3
Caius Gracchus took a low profile immediately following the beating death of his brother but eventually rose to a position of leadership in Rome. Analyze the political rise of Caius and give reasons for his taking a cautious approach to his political involvement. Point out achievements he made in his steps that helped him to move into higher offices. Explain how his ultimate agenda required his development of political support as he moved into a position to act upon it.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)