|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch declare to be the condition of men in public life?
2. What event led Philip to commission Aristotle to teach Alexander, according to Plutarch?
3. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
4. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
5. Who joined Agis to turn back the laws that placed inherited land under control of a few wealthy families, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
2. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
3. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
4. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
5. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
6. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
7. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
9. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
10. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
The last political position Phocion took was his support for Cassander as King of Macedon. Explain why Phocion, a Greek, was in the position to be concerned with who was the king of Macedon, what Cassander's opponent did in response to Phocion's support, and whether or not that opponent's tactic achieved his desired goal.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)