|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
2. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
3. How does Plutarch claim the birth order of Agis and Agesilaus affected their lives?
4. Why does Plutarch use the name, "Cato the Younger"?
5. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
2. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
3. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
4. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
5. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
6. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
7. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
8. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
9. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
10. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
Essay Topic 2
Dion was a Greek who studied Plato's philosophy against tyranny. Even though he earned the favor of tyrannical King Dionysius I, he fell out of favor with the supporters of his son, Donysius II. Explain what philosophies that Dion was sharing with Dionysius II and why his supporters would want to end Dion's influence.
Essay Topic 3
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)