|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
2. How did the master of Rome prior to Caesar's reign make himself an enemy to Caesar, according to Plutarch?
3. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
4. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
5. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
2. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
3. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
4. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
5. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
6. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
7. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
8. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
9. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch reports that Caesar's life and travels were intertwined by events caused by other people. Starting with his reason for leaving Rome because of Sylla's relationship with his family and ending with his defeat of Scipio in Africa, identify the destinations of Caesar, the reason he took the trip, and what his mission there meant for him personally and achieved for the Roman Empire.
Essay Topic 2
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
Essay Topic 3
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)