|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sort of activity did Eumenes get the attention of Philip of Macedon, according to Plutarch?
2. Where does Plutarch report Alexander died?
3. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
4. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
5. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
2. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
3. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
4. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
5. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
6. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
9. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
10. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
Essay Topic 2
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 3
Caius Gracchus took a low profile immediately following the beating death of his brother but eventually rose to a position of leadership in Rome. Analyze the political rise of Caius and give reasons for his taking a cautious approach to his political involvement. Point out achievements he made in his steps that helped him to move into higher offices. Explain how his ultimate agenda required his development of political support as he moved into a position to act upon it.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)