|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the Persian King that Plutarch reported Alexander defeated on his expedition to India?
2. How did the separation of Alexander from Philip affect his reign over Philip's empire, according to Plutarch?
3. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
4. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
5. How did Plutarch report that Cato prevented the Roman Senate from naming Caesar the Consul of Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
2. How did Plutarch compare the military achievements of Brutus and Dion?
3. Why does Plutarch suggest Caesar showed favor to Brutus despite Brutus siding with Pompey during the civil war with Caesar?
4. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
5. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
6. According to Plutarch, why did Atarus leave Sicyon to grow up and get educated in Argos?
7. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
8. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
9. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
10. What is a primary difference that can be inferred between the ancient Spartan civilization and the ancient Roman Empire from Plutarch's comparison between the Gracchi and the Spartans?
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's biography of Sertorius established a pattern of examining the life of a leader whose live and experiences were intertwined with other lives that were covered by Plutarch. Sertorius directly confronted Pompey in Spain and both were affected by the Roman tyrant Sylla. How were both Sertorius and Pompey affected by Sylla, and how did the different relationships with Sylla influence the confrontation they had with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch was born a Greek, and as an adult became a Roman Citizen. He wrote during the First Century, A.D., while the Roman Empire was still in its ascendancy. Give details of how Plutarch's background and citizenship influenced his choice of historical figures for which to write biographies, the events he chose to cover, and how he characterized the cities and citizens that were affected by these figures.
Essay Topic 3
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
This section contains 1,936 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)