Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject does Plutarch report Sertorius mastered as a youth?
2. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
3. Who does Plutarch report to be the master of Rome before Caesar came to power?
4. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
5. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Plutarch recognize in the raising of the Gracchi Brothers (Tiberius and Caius) and The Spartans (Agis and Cleomenes)?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
4. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
5. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
6. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
7. How did Plutarch claim Eumenes caught the attention of Philip?
8. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
9. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Rome as Tiberius began his political career in Rome?
10. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
Essay Topic 1
Artaxerxes faced family challenges from his brother and even his sons. Compare his brother's challenge against his inheriting the throne to the conspiracy of Artaxerxes' son, Darious, and the turmoil Ochus brought to his brothers to earn the right to inherit the throne. In the comparison, detail Artaxerxes' responses to the challenges and how each challenger adjusted their tactics to attempt to take Artaxerxes' crown.
Essay Topic 2
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 3
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)