|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, how did Caesar begin his rise to power over Rome?
2. How old was Alexander when Plutarch claims he took the Macedonian throne after Philip's death?
3. How old does Plutarch claim Alexander to have been when Philip left him in charge of Macedon while he went on an expedition against Byzantine?
4. How did Plutarch report Caesar lost his position as Dictator?
5. What did Plutarch report to be Phocion's view of war whenever he was brought into debates with other Greek leaders?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
2. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
3. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
4. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
5. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
6. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
7. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
8. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
9. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
10. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Caius Gracchus took a low profile immediately following the beating death of his brother but eventually rose to a position of leadership in Rome. Analyze the political rise of Caius and give reasons for his taking a cautious approach to his political involvement. Point out achievements he made in his steps that helped him to move into higher offices. Explain how his ultimate agenda required his development of political support as he moved into a position to act upon it.
Essay Topic 2
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
Essay Topic 3
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)