|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Plutarch report to be the condition of Lacedaemonia when Agis and his partner began their reign?
2. According to Plutarch, who authored laws in Lacedaemonia that caused land that was once subject to inheritance within families to be taken into a few wealthy hands?
3. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
4. Who does Plutarch report ruled Rome in a Triumvirate while Cato served in the Senate?
5. Who were they, and what were the nationalities of Alexander's parents, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
2. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
3. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
4. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
5. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
6. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
7. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
8. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
9. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
10. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
Essay Topic 3
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)