|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Plutarch claim Agis had imprisoned and hanged?
2. How did Plutarch compare Sertorius and Eumenes in their views of war?
3. What was Caesar's first step, according to Plutarch, when he was informed of Sylla's power being in decline?
4. What does Plutarch claim Aristotle provided that he considered, "...a perfect portable treasure of all military virtue and knowledge...."?
5. How far to the East did Plutarch claim Alexander spread his empire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
2. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
3. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
4. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
5. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
6. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
7. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
8. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
9. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
Essay Topic 2
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)