|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch, how did Cleomenes become King of the Spartans?
2. What victory of Phocion over the Macedonians did Plutarch report as being that which earned the admiration of Philip, King of Macedon?
3. From whom did Phocion learn of the military during his youth, according to Plutarch?
4. What does Plutarch report to be the joke that Neoptoleumus, captain of Alexander's lifeguard, told of Eumenes?
5. What does Plutarch claim Caesar said when he heard of Cato's suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
2. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
3. What important position does Plutarch report Atarus took with Achaea, a league of Greek cities?
4. How does Plutarch compare the deaths of Demetrius and Antony?
5. How does Plutarch claim that Demosthenes become the best orator of his time?
6. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
7. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
8. How did Plutarch report that Demetrius fell in and out of favor with Athenians?
9. How does Plutarch claim Artaxerxes averted war with the Spartans?
10. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
Essay Topic 1
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 2
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 3
Cato, the Younger, took many stands against the popular positions of the Roman Senate. One such stand was his warnings against the ambitions of Caesar as he was rising to power. What were the points that Cato raised in his warning, how did he respond as Pompey attempted to challenge Caesar, and what was the final outcome for Cato for taking his stand?
This section contains 1,966 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)