|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
2. What does Plutarch declare to be the condition of men in public life?
3. How did Plutarch report that Cato prevented the Roman Senate from naming Caesar the Consul of Rome?
4. What five qualities does Plutarch claim that Sertorius possessed in greater qualities than the other generals to whom Plutarch compared him?
5. What came of Rome after Crassus died, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
2. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
3. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
4. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
5. How did Plutarch explain Lysander's misinterpretation of the prophesy regarding the successor to Agis?
6. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
7. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
8. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
9. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
10. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's biography of Sertorius established a pattern of examining the life of a leader whose live and experiences were intertwined with other lives that were covered by Plutarch. Sertorius directly confronted Pompey in Spain and both were affected by the Roman tyrant Sylla. How were both Sertorius and Pompey affected by Sylla, and how did the different relationships with Sylla influence the confrontation they had with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Plutarch's biography of Alexander gave explicit details of how Alexander was supposedly a demigod and Plutarch's reports of Alexander's youth seemed to give support to the myth. Detail Plutarch's accounts of Alexander's supposedly divine heritage and two stories from his youth which could be taken to suggest that Alexander's intelligence and physical abilities were well above normal.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)