|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
2. Who does Plutarch report ruled Rome in a Triumvirate while Cato served in the Senate?
3. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Sertorius was raised?
4. How did Plutarch report that Cato prevented the Roman Senate from naming Caesar the Consul of Rome?
5. What did Plutarch report to be the result of Cato's management of the exchequer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
2. What kind of commander did Plutarch consider Sertorius to be, and where did he fight and defeat Pompey?
3. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
4. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
5. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
6. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
7. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
8. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
9. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
10. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
Essay Topic 2
Dion was a Greek who studied Plato's philosophy against tyranny. Even though he earned the favor of tyrannical King Dionysius I, he fell out of favor with the supporters of his son, Donysius II. Explain what philosophies that Dion was sharing with Dionysius II and why his supporters would want to end Dion's influence.
Essay Topic 3
Antony used his position that he cultivated with Caesar to rise to power in a triumvirate with Octavius after Caesar's assassination. Detail how Antony rose to power during and after the reign of Julius Caesar and how he fell from that power. Explain how the circumstances of his fall showed a character flaw that could have been avoided, and detail the steps that Antony took to victimize himself to his own flaw.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)