|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Plutarch's report, how did Phocion become general more than 45 times?
2. What does Plutarch report to be Phocion's retort when Athens began to celebrate the death of Philip of Macedon?
3. With whom did Pompey ally himself to overcome the reputation of his father, and who did Plutarch report they oppose in a civil conflict for power over Rome?
4. How old does Plutarch claim Alexander to have been when Philip left him in charge of Macedon while he went on an expedition against Byzantine?
5. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plutarch report came of the Athens military when the Athenian Assembly went against Phocion's recommendations not to enter a war with Philip of Macedon?
2. What are the similarities that Plutarch found between Sertorius and Eumenes?
3. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
4. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
5. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
6. What were qualities of Alexander that Plutarch praised?
7. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
8. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
9. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
10. What skill did Plutarch claim Caesar used to start building political influence in the Senate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
Essay Topic 2
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 3
Cato, the Younger, took many stands against the popular positions of the Roman Senate. One such stand was his warnings against the ambitions of Caesar as he was rising to power. What were the points that Cato raised in his warning, how did he respond as Pompey attempted to challenge Caesar, and what was the final outcome for Cato for taking his stand?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)