|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Plutarch report protected Cleomenes while he was in exile?
2. After his return from Spain, with whom does Plutarch claim Caesar took power over Rome in the Triumvirate?
3. According to Plutarch, how did Caesar begin his rise to power over Rome?
4. In what hearing before the Senate did Cato first confront Caesar, according to Plutarch?
5. According to Plutarch, how did Cleomenes become King of the Spartans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
2. How did Plutarch detail Caesar's plan to become Consul of Rome by helping Pompey?
3. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
4. What did Plutarch identify as the difference between Eumenes and Sertorius in their approach to war?
5. What did Plutarch determine to be the difference in how Agesilaus and Pompey came to power?
6. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
7. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
8. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
9. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
10. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cato, the Younger, took many stands against the popular positions of the Roman Senate. One such stand was his warnings against the ambitions of Caesar as he was rising to power. What were the points that Cato raised in his warning, how did he respond as Pompey attempted to challenge Caesar, and what was the final outcome for Cato for taking his stand?
Essay Topic 2
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 3
Antony used a speech to turn Rome against the conspirators of Caesar's assassination. He used his influence to persuade Octavius Caesar to have Cicero executed in spite of Cicero's support for Octavius as a ruling member of the triumvirate. Explain why you think that Antony would have such an interest to have Cicero removed from influence based upon what you can identify as Cicero's rhetorical skill against political opponents and Antony's Ambition after the assassination of Julius Caesar.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)