|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Plutarch describe Cleomenes' personality?
2. How did Plutarch characterize Phocion's speech?
3. Plutarch compares Sertorius to Philip, Antigonus, and Hannibal for his aggression, strategy, and what one other commonality?
4. How did Alexander show favor to Eumenes, according to Plutarch?
5. Who did Phocion advise Alexander to make war against rather than the Athenians, according to Plutarch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
2. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
3. What does Plutarch identify as the cause of Alexander turning against his father, Philip?
4. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
5. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
6. According to Plutarch, why did Cato fall into disfavor with Caesar?
7. Where does Plutarch report Caesar traveled to for conquests after he was elected as part of the Triumvirate with Pompey and Crassus?
8. What does Plutarch claim Cleomenes did to prevent the political turmoil that overtook Agis?
9. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
10. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plutarch's reports of suicides among the figures he profiled plays very prominently in what he considers the figure's nobility or lack thereof. Compare the suicides of Cato and Otho. Explain the circumstances that led to the suicide, reasons the two gave for committing the act, and how you believe the act is a reflection of the character that Plutarch developed in his biography.
Essay Topic 2
Tiberius Gracchus was responded to the needs of homeless soldiers who's property was taken by legal schemes made by land owners while the soldiers were fighting wars. Investigate the reasons the soldiers were fighting the wars that took them from their homes, how wealthy land owners were in a position to manipulate laws, and how Tiberius was able to get land reform laws passed in spite of opposition in the senate. Summarize your essay with a position statement of what the government could have done at any point of the process to deal with the problem in a just manner.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the rhetorical styles of Demosthenes and Cicero. Use quotes from Plutarch's lives to make your illustrations. In the comparison identify the affects that each speaker had on his audiences, legislative bodies, and on the support or opposition of people in powerful positions.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)