|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what sort of family does Plutarch claim Eumenes was raised?
2. How old was Alexander when Plutarch claims he took the Macedonian throne after Philip's death?
3. What was the most notable sign that Plutarch suggests that proves Caesar had begun to win popular support to challenge Sylla?
4. How does Plutarch compare the climb to power between Agesilaus and Pompey?
5. What battle against Macedon, according to Plutarch, that Phocion warned against taking that the Athenians lost under a different general?
Short Essay Questions
1. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
2. What was the primary objective of Agis as King of the Spartans according to Plutarch?
3. How does Plutarch explain Agis' objectives affected the politics of Sparta?
4. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
5. Why did Plutarch consider Agesilaus a better general than Pompey?
6. How does Plutarch describe Alexander impressing his father by taming a horse?
7. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
8. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
9. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
10. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agis and Agesilaus were half brothers who served as Spartan Kings from 427-360 B.C. Detail the unusual circumstances of their paternal relationship and Agesilaus' ascension to the throne after Agis' death. Explain Cleomenes' role in Sparta as it relates to Agis. Use details from Plutarch's "Lives" to explain your points.
Essay Topic 2
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sertorius and Eumenes based upon their career tracks to becoming generals, their views of war, and the ways they died. Use details and quotes as they were reported by Plutarch.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)