|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the separation of Alexander from Philip affect his reign over Philip's empire, according to Plutarch?
2. How did Plutarch claim Agis and Cleomenes incurred the hatred of the rich and powerful?
3. What did Plutarch report to be Agesilaus' physical deformity?
4. Who invaded Spartan provinces while Cleomenes was making reforms in Spartan government, according to Plutarch?
5. What does Plutarch report of Cato during this civil war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Plutarch claim that Cato the Younger possessed an inflexible temperament?
2. Why does Plutarch claim Caesar left Rome while he was a young man?
3. On what occasion does Plutarch report Cato asked why his preceptor would not give him a sword to kill Sylla while he was being trained in Sylla's palace?
4. How does Plutarch claim Athenians responded when they falsely accused Phocion of treason and killed him after a mock trial?
5. Why did Ptolemy's son, according to Plutarch, place Cleomenes under house arrest while he was in exile in Egypt?
6. Plutarch reports that Phocion had a continuously frowning look, what is a summary of Phocions quote to Chare when he remarked on his countenance?
7. How does Plutarch report that Caesar was assassinated?
8. What does Plutarch note about the difference between Phocion's public disagreements in the Athenian assembly and how he spoke in general conversation?
9. What did Plutarch identify as the myth regarding Alexander's lineage that Plutarch suggested his mother, Olympus, might have spread?
10. How did Plutarch report the death of Cato?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Caesar spared Brutus despite his alliance with Pompey in the civil war between Pompey and Caesar. What made Brutus important enough to spare and what does it say of Brutus that he participated in the assassination of Caesar after Caesar spared him. Explain your answers with support from Plutarch's "Lives" from both the chapters on Brutus and Caesar.
Essay Topic 2
Phocion was a stern and respected general, but preferred peace to war even if his stand caused harsh political consequences. Detail two cases in which Phocion opposed popular causes to go to war in the Athenian Assembly. Identify the enemy and their leader, the reasons the Athenian Assembly wanted to make war, reasons Phocion warned against the war and his alternative recommendation, what the Assembly decided and the outcome for Athens.
Essay Topic 3
Cleomenes fled to Ptolemy and was protected, but Pompey fled to Ptolemy and was given up to be murdered. Compare and contrast the two situations for which Cleomenes and Pompey fled to Ptolemy and give reasons why Ptolemy would protect Cleomenes but betray Pompey.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)